It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinking and Driving - Jacqueline's story (the aftermath)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I'm sure many people here on ATS are smart enough to know not to drink and drive , but of course you will have your bad apples here and there ...

For them a reminder of the ugly side of one saturday night , and getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

"On September 19, 1999, Saburido attended a birthday party near Austin, Texas. She and her friends, Laura Guerrero, Johan Daal and Johanna Gil, decided to head home after a few hours, and accepted a ride home from a classmate, Natalia Chpytchak-Bennett. At the same time, Reginald Stephey, an 18-year-old high school student, was on his way home after drinking beers with his friends at a party. On the outskirts of Austin, Stephey's 1996 GMC Yukon veered into Chpytchak-Bennett's 1990 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency.

Guerrero and Chpytchak-Bennett were killed instantly, while Gil and Daal suffered minor injuries. The car caught fire, and Saburido's feet were trapped under the seat, preventing her from escaping. Two paramedics, John McIntosh and Bryan Fitzpatrick, happened to be driving past when Stephey flagged them down. The flames were leaping several feet up into the air as they arrived. McIntosh put out the fire with his extinguisher and the two men set about removing everyone from the vehicle. However, Saburido was still trapped, and the fire restarted, forcing McIntosh and Fitzpatrick back. Saburido was inside the car for another 45 seconds until a fire truck arrived to put out the fire. Saburido was then cut from the car and airlifted to the burn unit in Galveston.

Saburido suffered second and third degree burns to over 60 percent of her body, but survived despite her doctor's expectations. All of her fingers had to be amputated, but there was enough bone left on her thumb to construct an opposable thumb. She lost her hair, ears, nose, lips, left eyelid and much of her vision. She has undergone more than 120 operations since the crash, including cornea transplants, which have restored her left eye."

en.wikipedia.org...

"Saburido allowed graphic post-accident photographs of herself to be used in the media (posters, TV-commercials, and internet chain mail) to illustrate a possible outcome of drunk driving.[3] She is most well known for a commercial in which she holds a pre-accident photo of herself in front of the camera, which she lowers to reveal her disfigured face and says, "This is me, after being hit by a drunk driver." When asked why she appeared in the campaign, Saburido stated "I feel very good to do it because I know people can understand a little more what happened to me -- why my life changed completely. So I think for me, for everybody, it's a good opportunity

I hope for those who watch this video remember Jacquelines face next time they think about getting behind the wheel when drunk

edit on 27-9-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Star and flag for you! Thank you for bringing this up. Thousands of people are killed or maimed by drunk drivers, all accidents that never had to happen!!!!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Very sad, my good friend just wrecked his motorcycle about 1 month ago while intoxicated and is lucky he didn't kill himself or anyone else for that matter. I personally don't drive under the influence but I do work in a bar and I'm shocked at how many people sit and drive home after drinking for hours. Kind of makes you a little edgy driving around the same time bars close.

A little off topic but being this is ATS, at the end of the video they play the 911 call, how did the operator know the guys name was Reggie, even when he never stated his name, and if its some sort of caller ID system, his full name was Reginald. Just a thought.

Star and Flag OP

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bh325es

always meant to ask a bartender how many people actually drive home drunk ? outta 10 ?

and how does the bar allow them to just drive off knowing they had so much to drink ? can't the bar do anything ?

or is it "i didn't know they were going to drive ? "

and disclaimer it that way ..

surley there are some protocals and reporting ?

yea probably some sort of caller id .. or he just asked him name to be listed as that , i know some cell phone carries that will let you put ur caller id to whatever you like , even if its not ur billing name . But usually you have to coax them into it a bit lol
edit on 27-9-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

I've wondered the same thing myself. I'm not a bartender, i'm a cook. I know the bartenders and servers have to go to a seminar/class of some sort to be able to see when someone has had enough, but in my personal opinion if someone gets to that level and gets cut off, they obviously can't drive. The bar I work at is pretty good at keeping an eye on our patrons, because its a small town and we know most people that come in. I worry more about the college bars that are packed full of younger people.

Good question though

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Bump.

More people should see this. Too many lives have been affected by drinking and driving.

new topics

top topics

join