It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What made you become a member of ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I recently posted a thread asking members what particular incident turned them into a Conspiracy Theorist?

I had some great responses to that and it highlighted the number of Historical events that truely do not add up under greater scrutiny.

Now I am intrigued to discover what made members decide to sign up to ATS and become a fully fledged contributor as opposed to a lurker. Was there any particular thread or was it a case of being a long time lurker, discovering like minded people and feeling a sense of belonging?

I came across this site initially a few years ago. I read some of the threads and thought they were interesting, well written and backed up with evidence (in most cases). I was also taken aback from members who contributed to the threads. On the whole they were well constructed, humoured and again backed up with evidence (in most cases).

The thread that encouraged me to join was this particular thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The thing is I have been interested in Alternative views for about 6-7 years and it was this one thread that gave me the inclination to sign up and join the madness.

The funny thing is, I didn't even contribute, but was simply fascinated by the madness of it all. Afterall, what evidence could the OP provide besides a video of her Husband declaring everything to be the truth. I think what appealed to me here was the thought that it was written by a confused wife looking for answers. Yet, it could have been completely BS.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear your reasons.

Mods: Please move to appropriate forum if required.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Mainly due to conversations with my Dad and Uncles. On my Dad's side of the family, they've had a lot of strange circumstances regarding paranormal events and odd hauntings. Whilst on my Mum's side, a few family members have witnessed UFO's and such.

As a child, I was obsessed with books about the supernatural and paranormal and as I got older this obsession developed into a healthy interest in conspiracies, science, religion and such.

ATS was the logical step I suppose. I was a lurker for many years before actually joining.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

great question. i don't think it was one specific incident. things happening around the world and why.
the scientific advancement made in the last 30 yrs alone. unexplained phenomena. just don't want to be told what things are.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The thread started by amalgam170 back in May of this year.
2nd

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

Which one was that?
edit on 27/9/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
How could i resist? ..

Edit to add: But i stumbled upon "ATS" researching John Titor, and reality glitches..
edit on 27-9-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I was searching the internet for a tyre service provider.

And the rest is history...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I started reading here to kill time in the cube farm.

I think what made me finally join was some nonsense rambling about guns from an extremely ignorant poster. Not just the rambling but the amount of agreement and support the rambling was earning.

Such stupidity and outright lying pushed me over the edge.

It's been a couple of years now at least since I've seen that sort of ignorance regarding that topic gaining any traction or momentum now that I think about it.

Used to be every couple of months the site would explode in a dozen copycat anti-gun threads all building up to 30, 40, 50 pages of essentially just the same nonsense repeating itself over and over.

Thank Pete almighty that doesnt happen anymore. Even with that nut in Norway it didnt happen to the extent that it used to. Hardly at all really.

Still blows my mind how people sitting in front of the most capable research tool man have ever known will post ridiculous assumptions about topics which they know nothing about and do so with complete certainty and confidence that their baseless assumption must be true.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I came here to find information, my cousin met someone.
This person looked poor, but had alot of drugs and money and was sitting on a bench.

He ended up tlaking to him cause the guy offered to smoke him up, and they talked and the guy said that he was an alien, and the reason he was here was because the earth didn't have much time left and he wanted to enjoy it.

Now my cousin is not into aliens or conspiracy stuff or anything, but when he told me this he really believed this guy. One of his points was that he looked like such a poor guy and he had alot of drugs, and money. He also was not worried of being robbed or anything.

So I decided to learn. This was a few years ago, now, so if its true can't be long left.

Anyways, I am more intereted in economics now, and the information you can get here on economical situations can be alot better, because it comes out faster than major media. Also, you can link together what someone says to other things they have done in their past easily, which tells you roughly what is coming next, at least in the short term.

Good hunting...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have always been drawn to paranormal and strange topics. I had some experiences in my childhood and into my twenties that really bothered me and I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same. I found ATS while searching for similar stories. Needless to say I found plenty of what I was looking for. This place is incredible and addictive!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I saw some pretty nicely written threads Ancient lost civilizations with lots of links and pictures supporting their views. I like the discussion going on and the debates. I've attempted to carry on as per those who seem to no longer be active in my own threads.

I found plenty of other Forums to get active in. There is always something to do or learn here. Also a lot of interesting views even if I don't always agree with them but interesting none the less.

edit on 27-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Doin research on the Lost Dutchman Mine. Someone started a thread on going there. Then I started clicking around the site and read more interesting information.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kokoro

I was looking for one a site without so much cursing..Found it!!Also a site that had more of a credible line of information..With all kinds of topic..Like it here.

link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
reply to post by cry93

Which one was that?
edit on 27/9/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

I don't believe there's any trace of the original thread around here anymore. I'll see if I can find some of the followup threads.

link   
Spreading dis-info.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cry93

I was also looking for more info on the comets as well. The earthquakes and CMEs have been hitting kind of hard at times here..I couldn't get much last night because some links kept shutting down and my computer did the same,but i found this site,and boy did it help me...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
Spreading dis-info.

What does that mean?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by eeks4

Originally posted by Nosred
Spreading dis-info.

What does that mean?

Nosred is a propaganda agent.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Almost four years ago, after going from site to site and tiring of youtube vids about mysteries and such.
I typed in my search bar: The truth, no more lies.
And there was ATS.

I only made an account earlier this year, don't contribute much, just enjoy reading all the vast material it has to offer.

My favorite thing about ATS is the both ends of the spectrum, regarding opinions.
How most will refuse to jump on the bandwagon, they will pick apart if they have to, to find truth. (unlike all the other sites)

I love ATS!
Nobody wants to be the fool.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Can't beleive i am about to say this... Michael Moore. I watched farenheit 9/11 and started looking into specifics of that tragic day a little more... ended up here.. got stuck. anyone know the way out?

In all seriousness.. i never really accepted what we are told, not in a parenoid way.. i do think there are good people in governments that want to protect us, but i've alway read a lot of conspiracy and paranormal books... internet became a bigger resource, and ats does very well at being the the glossary fro ll things conspiracy or just downright interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join