It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeopathic remedies for acne anyone?!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The best advice I got about acne is to change your pillow case often. All the oils from your hair and face build up on it and even if you wash your face before bed you re-dirty your face all night. It helped me so I hope it helps you

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilowl53

I do the egg white thing to shrink pores before I have to wear make-up. and I was doing the lemon separate , once in the day and once at night. I never thought of combining the two!

It's amazing to me just how many people also have this problem. I wonder if we all have something in common?

I actually firmly believe that women who have this issue, especially with cystic acne, have higher levels of testosterone. I know that I do, it might be worth your while to get your hormones checked. This is usually why they prescribe birth control for acne sufferers of child bearing age. Testosterone increases your production of sebum, causing more acne. More estrogen equals less acne, that's why when you get pregnant you "glow"
Pregnancy was a 9 month hiatus from acne for me, for sure. Would I take any kind of hormone medication? Probably not unless I really needed it. If hormones are the problem you might try some soy products in your diet instead of regular milk...soy has it's own drawbacks though, just research.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Homeopathy is garbage.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin

I actually firmly believe that women who have this issue, especially with cystic acne, have higher levels of testosterone. I know that I do, it might be worth your while to get your hormones checked. This is usually why they prescribe birth control for acne sufferers of child bearing age. Testosterone increases your production of sebum, causing more acne. More estrogen equals less acne, that's why when you get pregnant you "glow"
Pregnancy was a 9 month hiatus from acne for me, for sure. Would I take any kind of hormone medication? Probably not unless I really needed it. If hormones are the problem you might try some soy products in your diet instead of regular milk...soy has it's own drawbacks though, just research.

Yeah, I have the androgen excess problem too. Many times I've been given birth control pills with high estrogen for my acne, and it does clear up the problem..... but it also gives me migraines and makes me fat! So I stopped that years ago. This hormonal thing is also why I have never had a curvy figure, but have big wide shoulders, a lot of muscle mass, and a very heavy square jaw. Doing sports regularly seems to do the most good. Gotta USE those hormones!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I am going to the Dr. to have my hormones checked next week. Reading everyones post has pretty much made me think that that is exactly the problem. I am not planning on taking any meds unless I absolutly have to, after all other options have failed. If it's not nature made, I usually try and avoid it.

I kind of felt like something was up when I went back to the gym and instead of loosing any weight I was gaining some serious muscle mass. I stoped doing weights and stayed to the tred mill. A short little woman like me does not need a pair of big guns and thights that can crush a car, lol! So yeah, Soy milk it is! Going to try to increase the estrogen naturally.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
Yeah, I have the androgen excess problem too. Many times I've been given birth control pills with high estrogen for my acne, and it does clear up the problem..... but it also gives me migraines and makes me fat!

I have tried all kinds of birth control and it all makes me fat and crazy! Terrible combination for me personally

Originally posted by lilowl53
I am going to the Dr. to have my hormones checked next week.

I kind of felt like something was up when I went back to the gym and instead of loosing any weight I was gaining some serious muscle mass.

If it turns out to be the hormones I would just ask the Dr. if there is anything natural you can take, or any diet change you can try if you don't want to go the medication route. I actually found out about my testosterone level through weight training, I noticed I gained mass very quickly and easily, my breakouts also got worse with the training.

Let us know how it goes!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
just because the hormone tests came back negative doesnt mean you dont have hormone problems. The tests are pretty inconclusive really, and most docs don't know how to read them properly.

That being said. Tea tree oil.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
As mentioned many times on this thread "TEA TREE OIL". I have a squirt bottle that I fill mostly up with rubbing alcohol and then I put in about half of a tree tree oil little bottle. It is great for killing the acne. I also spay on my feet everyday to keep athletics foot away and no yellow toe nails. Also with the acne I used to get generic brands of zinc oxide ointment. This is put a little bit with a cotton swab on each sore before bed at night. This greatly sped up the healing. You can find both at almost any drug store. I know the zinc is not Homeopathic but close enough.
Just a little side note on the zinc ointment it is in most baby diaper rash creams.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm a 45 year old female and like Jools had cystic acne around the same ages. I have it now. I did not have it in my 30's while on the pill, but the pill gave me migraines and other side effects. For me it's clearly a mix of heredity, since my dad is a cystic acne sufferer even in his 70's, and auto immune related since eczema arrived as an additional complication after I gave birth, and hormonal. I honestly don't try anything anymore. I noticed acne never impeded me socially. I dated attractive and nice guys, I got married, I got a job I liked (eventually), I had good friends, and I never got teased despite going to some brutal public schools. In short, it never held me back except a really huge cyst on the nose could make me walk with my head down on some days. Otherwise, I think I just had a demeanor that spoke for me saying I will not tolerate any nonsense from anyone regarding my physical shortcomings and that's that. So I never got any nonsense. The only thing it does do to bother me is cause me intense physical pain. I do my best to ignore it. I have read over some of the suggestions here and some seem like they are more hellish than even acne. Give up coffee and dairy? No more ice cream? I think I'll just live with the acne as I've always done. Of course when I was a teenager there were times I felt sure if they found conclusively that eating cow pies could cure acne, I'd be there with plate in hand and knife and fork at the ready! I hope you find a cure that works for you. I have a feeling each person has a different cause and no one cure will work uniformly for everyone.

edit to add, correction, my acne never held me back socially or got me teased. I did of course have other bumps in the road and had other things to get teased about, like my racial heritage, but acne wasn't one of them,

edit on 30-9-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Tyoi

edit on 30-9-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: Even my attempt to type "typo" resulted in a typo, thanks a bunch iPad

edit on 30-9-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oh, not to hijack this thread off topic, but I was wondering if fellow adult acne sufferers noticed they don't easily get wrinkles? I don't know if it is a side benefit of having used retin A gel when I was younger or from having perpetually oily skin, or an olive tone, but at 45 I only have wrinkles after a bad night of sleep or if I'm sick. Otherwise I just have a couple of lines in my forehead and I've honestly seen worse on teenagers who overdo the tanning thing. I've got no eye wrinkles, no mouth creases related to age. Nothing. My mom has oily skin, and had cystic acne for just a few years, and as I said, my dad still has it. In their 70's, despite a lot of strain and health problems, they both hardly have any wrinkles. The skin around their necks have gotten loose and they both got a bit jowly and gray haired, so you can note their age a bit from that. But there are barely any wrinkles on either to judge their ages by. I was just hoping if there is silver lining in the cloud that is adult acne and/or oily skin, it's wrinkle resistance.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I was on antidepressants for a yr (wellbutrin and zoloft) these really made my skin HORRIBLE like never before in my life, I felt like a monster! I came off of them and still had to suffer for almost another year. Finally I started trying some cheap methods to get it under control. I started with Milk of Magnesia flavorless (yah the laxitive) since my whole face was broken out I would cover my face in it till it dried or overnight, and that took care of the biggest and worst spots drying them up. Olive oil or oatmeal to moisturize after the MOM. Once I got that under control if I had one flare up I would dab a little MOM and it would be dry the next day. Finally I got past that harsh treatment that helped with the worst of it, and now I just wash my face with a glycerin soap and use baking soda paste after to counter the acids in the soap. Also I just use a little hydrocortizone on problem spots when they come and my skin is better than ever, not even taking into account that I'm pregnant and the hormones are CRAZY!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Grace0f4babes

I was on Zoloft for four years and off now, too. (edit to correct since I said I was on it a year, no I meant I had post partum depression for a year that the Zoloft treated.) Now I'm trying to remember if my eczema and psoriasis started about then. I think so. I had eczema once for a brief time many years ago. Psoriasis was a new experience. Fortunately I don't have it too bad anymore. I had the worst acne while on Zoloft, too, worst since puberty anyway. I never thought about Zoloft causing it. Glad you mentioned it. Have a healthy pregnancy and smooth delivery and best wishes and congratulations to you.
edit on 30-9-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Mine seemed more along the lines of rosacea, it left scars on my cheeks and I never had anything like it before. I got some Emu Oil to remove the scars and they're gone now. If I had known the troubles that antidepressants were gonna cause me I never would have gotten on them, they made me near crazy and disassociated from reality, irrational, suicidal... then I stopped them all together and I guess since they hang around in your system for a while after you stop it continued to wreak havoc on my skin. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the cause of your skin aliments, those are some horrid drugs!!! Emu Oil is also good for wrinkles and scarring... And thank you for the well wishes! Blessings!

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Grace0f4babes

I definitely have the rosacea form of acne, primarily on my nose. While others here fine sunlight beneficial, I find it tends to make my nose swell up if I don't use a lot of sunscreen, and even then, the skin on my nose will harden up and look large pored. Thanks for the tip on emu oil.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
Oh, not to hijack this thread off topic, but I was wondering if fellow adult acne sufferers noticed they don't easily get wrinkles? I don't know if it is a side benefit of having used retin A gel when I was younger or from having perpetually oily skin, or an olive tone, but at 45 I only have wrinkles after a bad night of sleep or if I'm sick. Otherwise I just have a couple of lines in my forehead and I've honestly seen worse on teenagers who overdo the tanning thing. I've got no eye wrinkles, no mouth creases related to age. Nothing. My mom has oily skin, and had cystic acne for just a few years, and as I said, my dad still has it. In their 70's, despite a lot of strain and health problems, they both hardly have any wrinkles. The skin around their necks have gotten loose and they both got a bit jowly and gray haired, so you can note their age a bit from that. But there are barely any wrinkles on either to judge their ages by. I was just hoping if there is silver lining in the cloud that is adult acne and/or oily skin, it's wrinkle resistance.

It's true oily skin is less likely to get wrinkles, dry skin is the most likely. The sun also causes a lot of wrinkles so always wear your sunscreen and you should age well.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

Silver Mercury fillings can cause acne or make it worse.
Fish are high in mercury.
Mercury is excreted by the skin.
Removing them improved my acne by 85%

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Lucky for me I don't have mercury fillings, but I will avoid the fish. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Just to give an update...

I have been using;

Baking soda as a scrub/mask. It's really smoothes out the roughness in my skin, and helps dry up the zits.

Apple cider vinager as a toner. Works like a DREAM! My skin has become radiant, and it really does a great job clearing the pores.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Yes I know it sounds bad, but by god it is AMAZING! After using the ACV I rub a little less than a palm full all over my face, and message in for about 5 mins. Then I use a clean wash cloth, dip into hot water then gently rub the oil off. Then I put a very small amount of the oil back on with a cotton ball. The olive oil is considered a cleansing oil to that is why I put on then wash off then use to moisturize.

I stoped using all other forms of over the counter meds. I just wash my face with Johnson & Johnson baby head to toe wash (werid but it's very gentle and works). I mix a tiny bit of the baking soda in with it and wash face.

My skin is really clearing up, I have to say, and looks amazing to boot.

I am also no longer eatting dairy or red meat as to lower my testosterone levels.

Hope this helps someoene else, as it is really helping me! I will be adding in some other things in the coming weeks just to try as well.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I just started a new WONDERFUL treatment! BUTTERMILK! put some on a washcloth and rub it in 2 to 3 times a day... It feels wonderful! It moisturizes, and since most acne is caused by Candida yeast the live cultures in buttermilk kills off the bad bacteria restoring the healthy bacteria, it helps stop the overproduction of sweat and oil. It's also good to drink a cup or 2 a day to work from the inside out! You will love the feeling and notice a huge difference after a few hours!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Go on a raw food diet, and use only natural oils, such a tea tree as someone else has said and also only use pure aloe as a moisturizer. Don't scrub your face to roughly. I use sea salt as a scrub every now and then.
Another thing is that keeping your hands and face clean is important to avoid clogging pores.
I'm 28 btw and I get breakouts if I stress too much.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join