It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says could deploy navy near U.S. coast: Report

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

this is from a few years back but hen the point is yes it can happen and will happen , by what means or how still are unknown, only the top brass knows and they will never say how it happened www.washingtontimes.com... form the link

A Chinese submarine stalked a U.S. aircraft carrier battle group in the Pacific last month and surfaced within firing range of its torpedoes and missiles before being detected, The Washington Times has learned.
if this was a shooting match one lost fleet. losses US 12 China 0, could china have a propulsion system that is undetectable? was the sonar imperative? Was some one a sleep at their station? what ever the case it shows the in today's tec anything can and will happen.

The surprise encounter highlights China’s continuing efforts to prepare for a future conflict with the U.S., despite Pentagon efforts to try to boost relations with Beijing’s communist-ruled military.
if a country want's what you have no matter what you say or do they will try.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Some have said that the U.S won't allow Iran to get that close to our shores. The U.S. is powerless to stop it if Iran stays in international waters and is not threatening the U.S.

If the U.S. tried to stop it this would be an illegal act of war with the U.S. as the aggressor.

What might happen is the U.S. will stage a false flag operation to make it look like Iran is attacking us, ( something so utterly silly no one in their right mind would believe it ( Just like the stories we were told about 911) and use this to attack Iran - and they will get away with it too.

Iran has a right to get as close to our shores as international waters will allow. The U.S has already illegally invaded and decimated much of their country. We have nothing to fear from them militarily because they know they could never win.

Iran Needs Nukes. With people like the U.S doing wrong horrible things in their country they should Nuke the U.S. The only reason we wont let them have nukes are not because they will use them offensively, but because they might use them against us in defense, and they would be 100% right to do so. I'm sick and tired of my own government pushing others around, disarming them so they cannot defend themselves then kicking them some more. It's time the bullies in the U.S. Government and military get their azzez handed to them on a silver platter.

I am not a traitor. I am a true blue American, a Patriot. I seek to fix our country and show those in the wrong the error of their ways. I love this country but we must not allow this corruption from within to continue. It is the rot and blight that will be our undoing. This must be stopped.

edit on 30-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
it's like iran going to the zoo,

international waters are the bars.

climb into the tiger pit and..........

they can go where they want.

shouldn't they be "protecting" the homeland?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

If they enter the US contiguous zone, we will stop them and board them. If we believe they are broadcasting illegally (propaganda, etc.) beyond the zone, we can board them in international waters.

The U.S has already illegally invaded and decimated much of their country.

Are you from the future? Is it Phoenix or really Titor?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
reply to post by charlyv

this is from a few years back but hen the point is yes it can happen and will happen , by what means or how still are unknown, only the top brass knows and they will never say how it happened www.washingtontimes.com... form the link

A Chinese submarine stalked a U.S. aircraft carrier battle group in the Pacific last month and surfaced within firing range of its torpedoes and missiles before being detected, The Washington Times has learned.
if this was a shooting match one lost fleet. losses US 12 China 0, could china have a propulsion system that is undetectable? was the sonar imperative? Was some one a sleep at their station? what ever the case it shows the in today's tec anything can and will happen.

The surprise encounter highlights China’s continuing efforts to prepare for a future conflict with the U.S., despite Pentagon efforts to try to boost relations with Beijing’s communist-ruled military.
if a country want's what you have no matter what you say or do they will try.

I don't know the exact details of that, but if it surfaced 5 miles from a picket ship that doesn't necessarily mean it was in range of the carrier and its missile cruisers.

I don't think the sub's cruise missiles would have done any good other than reveal its position (had it attempted to stay hidden), usually subs only carry a handful of these and all of the can be easily intercepted.

It's best bet would be to move into the carriers path and stay still and quiet until the first solid detection/torpedo splashes are heard, then launch an all out torpedo suicide attack, this tactic may be how it got so close. Carrier groups usually drop sonar equipment out in front of them as they move, and carrier groups move much faster than subs and always stay on the move for this exact purpose so it could not approach from behind or the side.

Considering the sonar coverage of a carrier group and its pickets, I don't know how this happened, maybe someone got stupid and careless like the guy at pearl harbor that saw the incoming Japanese planes on radar. Though a lone Chinese sub, at best, might have got a picket or two and a missile cruiser if it was lucky; and it would have to sacrifice itself to do so.

A standard formation provides a number of layers of defence, designed to give maximum protection to the fleet's high value units (HVUs) or main body. Furthest out are the picket ships, Combat Air Patrol (CAP) craft and early warning aircraft (AEW). These units operate at 200 nautical miles (370 km) or more out from the main body. The units of the outer screen operate between 12 and 25 nautical miles (22 and 46 km) from the main body. The inner screen is within 10 nautical miles (19 km) of the HVUs.

The ships of the outer screen are intended to detect and engage any enemy units that have bypassed the pickets. These ships must be multi-role, but there is usually an emphasis on ASW, especially passive detection. It is quieter out there than near the HVUs and so detection is easier. Preferably there are helicopter ASW assets for 'stand off' engagement. The ASW ships are usually assigned to specific sectors which allows a 'sprint and drift' detection of submarines - the ship 'sprints' to the front edge of its sector, then slowly moves back across the sector. Passive towed sonar arrays operate very efficiently on the return leg.
Source

So the sub could could have surfaced anywhere from 17 to 30 miles from the actual carrier ship. Some torpedos can reach out to this range, given the sub can get a firing solution on the carrier from that range, which is unlikely and almost completely unreliable when it comes to actually hitting anything. Carrier groups make no attempt to hide themselves, the payoff for this is that they can employ a wide range of noisy detection and countermeasure equipment without worrying about stealth.

Firing four ASMs from a sub at 17 miles definitely would not hit, the missiles would be detected and probably intercepted at about 10 miles. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure how many missiles the Chinese sub is packing, but 4 seems to be a common amount for an attack sub. Even if it holds 20, its unlikely they would survive an interceptor salvo from several modern missile cruisers.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join