It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece parliament passes new property tax bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

The Greece Parliament have passed a new property tax bill.

ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- Greek lawmakers approved a controversial new property tax Tuesday that aims to boost revenue as the country struggles to obtain a critical installment of international bailout loans that will prevent it from default.

The new tax passed 154 votes to 143 against in the 300-member parliament. It was announced earlier this month after international debt inspectors suspended their review of Greek reforms amid talk of missed revenue targets and delayed implementation of austerity measures. The inspectors are expected to return to Athens this week.

Why did not the people of Greece get to vote about it...?

The new tax will be charged through electricity bills to make it easier for the state to collect, instead of going through Greece's unwieldy and inefficient tax system. Those who refuse to pay risk having their power cut off.

So the people whom can not afford this will most likely lose their homes?
First the power gets cut of and then the debts will pile up until the house is taken.
At least Greece is a warm country and electrical heating is not needed.

But the extra charge has deeply angered Greeks, who have already been through more than a year of sharp austerity that has seen salary and pension cuts and increased taxes across the board.

The people of Greece have already lost most of their assets, and now this?

finance.yahoo.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Personally I am against taxes.
The solution for a country in need and despair is not more taxes, but instead lesser bureaucracy, smaller Government and more freedom for the people to create and make something of their visions and dreams.
A tax like this will only cause problems.

This is my first post so please have patience with me if it is not done in the best manner.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
That's coming here - Obama wants to raise taxes to cover for the irresponsible spending of the government, especially his administration. Why does the government always get the country into trouble and the people pay the price?

It should be the government paying the price. The sooner the better.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

That is sadly the way it works.
The people whom cause the sh*t will never be there to take care of it.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
And people wonder why peaceful protests do nothing. We need a revolution. We need something unsettling.
edit on 27-9-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

I do not think protests ever will make a difference.
What is needed is one big action from ALL of the citizens. I read a very good comment some days ago here on ATS, about all people making a boycott.

That would have an impact far greater then any protest.
If all people whom are tired of their leaders would stop purchasing any items for a period of time, stop go to work, stop absolutely everything in their daily life, that would make a difference.
But running around on the streets screaming and be in the way of the people whom try to go to work and sort out what they need to live, is not the correct way.

A worldwide boycott against taxes would be very fun to see.

The reason that no one of the politicians listen to the people is because the people are not cooperating and aware of the fact that their country is nothing without them.
A country is nothing more or nothing less than its people.

To me a tax-revolution should not be of violence, but of brains.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

I remember reading the same thing. He said something about everybody just staying home for a few weeks or something. I might try to find it. Do you remember who it was?

It was discussed in this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27-9-2011 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The greed of the upper classes within the Greek nation has caused the downfall of the nation, austerity is nothing more than raping the nations wealth and their citizens blind, it is happening in the US but people have not clue how is done.
The government in Greece is going to release hundreds of thousands of jobs, that will leave most of the population unemployed, then they will cut benefits and pay to those that still will be working, raise their taxes and what you are going to have, a dissatisfied population that eventually will topple the government.

In America that is "alleviated with welfare"
edit on 27-9-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Hmm no I do not remember whom it was..
But I am fairly sure that it was another thread than the one you attached. My memory is not the best, but I think it was in one of the threads regarding the Wall street protests.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Greece is lucky.

If you dont pay property tax in America they take your home and kick you out onto the street.

I'd happily lose electricity over losing my home.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

No really, once the privatization comes into effect in Greece people will start losing their homes, after all I imagine that China wealthiest new capitalist will love to buy summer homes in Greece.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
And people wonder why peaceful protests do nothing. We need a revolution. We need something unsettling.
edit on 27-9-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

A worldwide revolution, we take all the world elite arrest them and then redistribute the wealth and build a system that is fair for everyone.

I do not see any other path in the long run.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SeleneLux

And which people will be in control of this new system?
Which people will be in charge of redistributing the wealth?

Corruption and greed is in the Human genome.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

And which people will be in control of this new system?
Which people will be in charge of redistributing the wealth?

Corruption and greed is in the Human genome.

Everyone. From them bottom up, with modern technology we can have a collective system.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I agree that the best system would be a computer controlled one, preferable A.I. controlling everything. Thus taking out Humans from the equation.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I dont think the greek people are going to welcome this.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It was reported in the news, I think the BBC, that the power companies stated that they would refuse to apply the tax. If this is indeed true, the Greek gov just cooked their own goose since they have no means of collecting the tax they applied. Greece is done for, it's nothing more than a scam to fleece every last cent and asset from the Greek people and their country. With this tax and bailout funds, the EU has just exposed themselves even further to a Greek default.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

The Greeks are absolutely brilliant in avoiding taxes. Under current Greek law, if a property is "unfinished" it is not subject to property taxes. All over the country you see beautiful homes with cinder block front porches or pressure treated wood for a porch and the houses have been like that for years. Why? Because they can claim that because the porch is not complete they don't have to pay taxes on the home/building. Its a huge joke. Beautiful house, ocean view, marble throughout and cinder blocks for a front porch. A logical way to go after these cheats is through utilities. I hate taxes, but when you make a mockery of the system and millions of people make a mockery of it for decades, bad things happen.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Taxes are not revenues...

I also think it is bloody brilliant.... A cinder block for unfinished houses... no tax...

Why should I pay for a light at the end of the street that you want?

no one has answered this question... without leaving themselves open....

it is called power and control over people...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I think you are right. There will most likely be something against this.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Thank you for that info, I did not know about that law.
I guess it is only a matter of time until it that law changes to be in correlation with the new one.

I am against all those forms of taxes and I do understand why they act that way with their houses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join