It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Wall Street Occupation being ignored by the MSM?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
That seems to be the questions being posed in quite a few places

NPR

NPR hasn't aired a story on the "Occupy Wall Street" protest — now entering its second week — but several of you aired your concerns about the lack of coverage, and Ralph Nader called to say NPR is ignoring the left.
"You'll cover the Tea Party, but god forbid you actually cover sane Americans demanding civilized economic policy," wrote Brad Nolen from Mobile, AL.

Salon.com

And, on the first weekend, starting Sept. 17, they had quite a number of people join them in marches and speeches that essentially claimed the 99% of Americans who aren’t the 1% of uber-rich are disenfranchised – and have critical needs related to unemployment, cost of living, and a range of other social issues that are either being ignored outright or largely swept under the rug by our finance-focused government.

These young people, accompanied by like-minded Xers and a few Boomers, didn’t get much coverage to start. (I doubt any authentic movement, at the outset, ever does.) The media that did arrive briefly aired the same complaint: “They are a loosely organized group of disaffected youth who are more like hippies and have no real goal,” they yawned. “Nothing to see here, but we’ve done our job by ‘covering’ it in our blogs,” they seemed to say to New Yorkers and anyone outside the Big Apple paying attention. “This too shall pass.”

Huffington Post

Keith Olbermann and Michael Moore criticized the media for ignoring what they saw as an important new political movement currently forming on Wall Street.
The Occupy Wall Street group has been camped out in a plaza a block from the New York Stock Exchange for nearly a week. In a statement posted on its website, the group laid out why it is protesting:

FWIW, I think a couple hundred of the usual suspects anarchists, Wobblies, LaRouchies and other assorted anti-capitalist trust fund Che’s isnt really all that newsworthy, but what’s the consensus of people here?
Are these protests being ignored or has this squeaky wheel gotten enough grease already?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
When ATS is the only place you hear about it - I'd say you were right on the money with that headline.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Cnn is starting to report on it. I had a fb announcment from them saying

You, our Facebook fans, have requested more news on the “Occupy Wall Street” protest group, and we’ve been listening.

So they are slowly coming around but they've all been ignoring these protests.They are now spreading across the country and will not be ignored for long. I hope not anyway.
I'd also like to say occupy pittsburgh begins on 10-15-11 and I'll be there.

edit on 27-9-2011 by jrkelly77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I dont think many of them are anarchists.
Or any of the other things you just called them.

They have been reported on, i watched it on CNN last night. Micheal moore put in a good word. And i think its very patriotic for them to be down there fighting for a legitimate concern, Corporate control over EVERYTHING.

Its like a reverse robin hood. the rich steal from the poor to become slightly richer.

We are the 99%

It will spread, and it will bring about a much needed change. At the rate in which the economy is declining, and at the rate citizens are being abused (be it physical or not). # is gunna change, it has to or our future is screwed.
edit on 27/9/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
to be honest i do ignore people who claim their poor

and go protest and have cell phones text and drink mocha latees and twitter and facebook their actions.

poor people are poor.

msm media should ignore them and to whine about wall street is sheer ignorance

when all they do is make money and the federal reserve defines what that wealth means as in the value of the dollar

and that same wall street has to live within what the government and the federal reserve dictates to them

to be honest thoe protesters in new york dont have a clue

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Last i checked. Politicians were baught out with money, From huge corporations, which get their money and bonuses from stock exchange on wallstreet in turn, they use to buy politicians

And welcome to the technological age. Where people can communicate at an instant. Having a camera is a good thing.

Isnt the FED owned by the rothschilds? as it is not a government agency. Though people think it is.

But thats okay, I support change. And change is coming.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Wall street is run by ________

The media is run by __________
edit on 27-9-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
Wall street is run by ________

The media is run by __________
edit on 27-9-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

Oh oh! let me make a guess..

Hm..hm.. Well its not the government.

Oh wait, its the billionaire elites that got high million dollar bonuses and are recording record profits, yet we are still getting screwed. Wonder why that is.

Oh, i know, So they can make more money.

I wonder how much of that 2 trillion dollar secret bailout was put into the elites pockets... Wasn't there a job 'stimulus' package too? Im not sure anymore, so many this that and the other things. Yet jobs are still being shipped offshore.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
To be honest, it's not much of an occupation. There are less than a thousand of them most days, it's hardly Tahari Square in Egypt. They seem to have some legitimate concerns, but lack any clear articulated demands. Hopefully they will learn a few things along the way, but I doubt the Wall street traders are losing any sleep.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

many people can't make it to New York, but other city's have protests popping up everywhere from cleavland to L.A.

link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
To be honest, it's not much of an occupation. There are less than a thousand of them most days, it's hardly Tahari Square in Egypt. They seem to have some legitimate concerns, but lack any clear articulated demands. Hopefully they will learn a few things along the way, but I doubt the Wall street traders are losing any sleep.

They are working on the demands, as a matter of fact, they had a vote on it and im sure you'll see it here soon.

Also, there are a couple hundred that stay overnight. And as the day goes on, thousands flock. Just the other day there was about 3000 people, which is really good considering at the start they had maybe 700?

They also have LOTS of public support, lots of stories of people talking to passersby, or passersby coming to talk to them in support, but they cannot join because they have families to support with the job they work 50 hours a week at.

link   

Originally posted by neo96

and go protest and have cell phones text and drink mocha latees and twitter and facebook their actions.

poor people are poor.

when all they do is make money and the federal reserve defines what that wealth means as in the value of the dollar

and that same wall street has to live within what the government and the federal reserve dictates to them

Who is claiming they are poor? And Wall Street is to blame; they are behind the bailouts and were instrumental in "betting" against our economy. In some nations, that would be an act of treason, punishable by death.

To imagine Wall Street as hardworking honest folk toiling away to make a hard-earned dollar is an exercise of pure fiction. They benefit from our demise. They make money when we fail. If we were successful, they'd have to get actual jobs... why do you think they struggle so hard to keep America down?
edit on 27-9-2011 by Cuervo because: Coffee...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

poor people are poor.

Also, have you watched the live feed? Watched any of the interviews with the people there? Read any of the tweets that are pouring from all across the world?

The athens protests that are happening right now, also in solidarity to #occupywallstreet.

They are the overeducated, and underemployed. Which is true considering 45 million americans are unemployed (those are the ones looking for work and cant find it), doesnt include the ones that have stopped trying. And the protesters range from ages 15 - 80. Military vets, Firemen, Even some police too, because they got screwed too. Unions. They're there.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
blah blah blah

$10,000 dollars in 1913 has todays purchasing power of over $220,000 today

10k is poverty today whatever floats your boat nothing will change the facts of the matter

it aint wall street

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
At first yes but now they have to as it's not going away.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I look forward to reading the demands. The problem this group is also going to have is that already we are seeing claims these protesters are a bunch of "communists". I don't believe that myself, but have seen it posted on here and elsewhere. How will the protest group combat these accusations and appeal to a wider base?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I look forward to reading the demands. The problem this group is also going to have is that already we are seeing claims these protesters are a bunch of "communists". I don't believe that myself, but have seen it posted on here and elsewhere. How will the protest group combat these accusations and appeal to a wider base?

Because we have people who sit in front of a computer and dont know any of the story and make assumptions based on their own personal view of the situation.

The currently political and economic system. does not work. It just benefits the already wealthy and the greedy. There are millions of homes in the us that remain empty, Yet there are how many homeless? Human rights are violated every single day everywhere. People cant afford anything anymore, theres not enough work, theres not enough money for us here.

Here, listen to this

Immortal technique went and visted occupywallstreet, he supports it. Its not hard to see that we are getting played hardcore. The resources are there to raise the standard of living for everyone on this planet. But greed stands in the way.

"Where's the money in feeding the poor and giving them houses?"
"Where's the money in letting underdeveloped nations selling us their resources?, when we can just go in and take them and end up having them paying us?"
"Wheres the money in letting kids learn for free or very cheap?"
etc. etc.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Here is the list of demands

List of demands

I support all of them. Just wish i was in the US and not Canada. People are asleep here (thats going to change too)

Note: Assuming everyone there is jobless and refuses to get a job and such is delusional. A lot of people cant get jobs, cant get the care they need from the promises that they were given.

Perfect example: They intereviewed a man who is a construction worker, and he was there during the 9/11 attacks and was helping out as he was a heavy equipment operator. Now he has some disease that requires thousands of dollars of medication (also the pharma companies looting the poor), and his pensions and disability barely cover that, and he has to borrow money from family and friends. He's 40.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Namaste1001
At first yes but now they have to as it's not going away.

This is awesome! Finally!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

On CNN last night

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join