It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Just a little warning if you do want to go the gun route i would suggest a shot gun over a pistol or rifle. The reason being if you miss with the pistol or rifle the velocity of the bullet will cause it to travel through walls and can possibly hit some one on the other side.

A few years ago in a town not to far from me a man was protecting his house from a robber with a 9mm pistol he missed with his first shot it went through the wall and ended up hitting a little girl and killing her, he is now serving time for manslaughter. just a thought

But i digress any form of martial arts should suffice you in a CQC situation, i currently work with a guy who used to run a martial arts/MMA training facility, he preaches the basics of self defense to his wife, kids, and co workers. foot, groin, face.

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

p.s. i must admit i am a hypocrite lol i carry a pistol with me when im on the road for work but thats mostly because a shot gun is a little harder to travel with...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

POCKET SAND!

Or maybe I'll go with the guy who said wasps (in a can?)

(or no, those snakes that pop out of the can? Except real snakes?)

(snakes on a plane?)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Said before inthread...but still one of the best answers: Yourself.

Don't think I've ever been in a surprise CQC situation that wasn't, well, a surprise. Ie: Didn't have time to grab whatever weapon I had strategically placed anywhere...at the end of the day you need to be ready to rock whenever and wherever you may be.

All the guns, knives, axe-handles, naked pictures of Roseanne Barr aren't gonna save your ass if they are in a different room than the one you're getting jumped in.

Train in some form of h2h combat/martial art/unbridled monkey violence.
Train often, practice often.
Make it a natural part of how you move and react.
Train, train, train some more until your body instinctively lives and breathes the movements.

Heres another thing to keep in mind:
We all have some 'default settings' semi-hard-wired into us.
As much as so many people would love to believe they are some type of Terminator/Rambo/UberSoldat hardcore killer...the reality is for the greater majority you/we are still governed in immediate threat situations by the basic primordial responses of Fight, Flight or Freeze.

Of those 3 base responses the least common is actually Fight.
The majority response is actually Freeze closely followed by Flight.
Ie: In an immediate threat situation most people - regardless of what they may tell themselves or tell others - will freeze up (thus be a nice easy target) or run away (thus leaving anyone else remaining to be the target)
Which one you have is one of those things you don't know until you know.

All is not lost for the freezers or the flighters...this can be altered...through regular training. Hence, train, train, train some more.

...just my thoughts anyway...

...while I do have a nice wee selection of all manner of weapons throughout my house...you've also got to be just as ready to use the chair, the phonebook, the laptop, the table lamp, the cat, your wifes shoe, you kids train-set...whatever you can grab at the time to throw at and distract your attacker or take to them with...whatever works...there are NO rules, no pride, no 'gentlemans way' of protecting you and yours...do whatever you have to do to still be the person breathing and not bleeding...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

You sir are sick !!!!! A naked photo of Roseanne Barr ??????
Now I need to go lie down.

However, the rest of your post is spot on and those that have no training should bare your words in mind.

Starred

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Hey...I don't care how hopped up on drugs a potential attacker may be...shove a picture of Rosanne in all her fleshy freakness in their face and at the very least they'll be scared...quite likely flee in sheer repulsion...

Just make sure you use it like a Claymore Mine...front TOWARDS enemy...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Haha had fun reading this thread.

My favorite weapon is the wooden bat with a chain wrapped around it and nailed in, with nails protruding all around.
Looks so bad ass hahahaha.

But really anything can be turned into a weapon if you get creative...
lol makes me think of Riddick "I'll kill you with my tea cup."

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Here in the UK I live in a pretty secure apartment, but still have a very large knife near the front door, large enough to scare anyone away (who isnt weilding a gun) and also a cheap but good quality glock knife which is a bayonet shape, smaller but a good strong stabbing blade, I hope to never have to use them but with any hand to hand weapon you must practice with them as they can be turned on the person who is using them very easily without proper knowledge.

I also box and the speed of boxing combined with a blade os a feirce combination as you can get in attack and get out of their range againwithout them grappling too much with you. Jui - jitsu is fantastic for 1 on 1 but against a group not so good.

I always believe it better to deter than to fight so the scariest weapon is often the best, I love medieval and ancient wapons and would love to collect some, but also if an intruder saw you with saw a mace or an axe they would proabably be too terrified to attack.

Also a thin blade like rapier would be awsome as it would penetrat almost all modern clothing with eas and can be used up close and is so quick that the stab will be very had to avoid.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

If you box and are good at jabbing, may I suggest a pair of push daggers? It will add to the severity of the damage you are inflicting.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gwampo
defence is spelled defenSe.

Really tired of seeing the ignorant ones here spell things incorrectly. Thought this site was supposed to deny ignorance.

Go away dumb-dumbs!

American english huh? I suppose you're always right.

Anyway, knives, stars, chucks & sais, and an idea of how to use them will secure any close quarter situation typically.

Though you'll never beat that lucky punch.

good luck

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
close quarters? how many perps?

i have a gas ciggie lighter that is like a jet engine.

even if you are getting strangled you can spark that puppy up in someones nose, ear or mouth, eye or set his a$$ on fire.

i'm partial to flame, i'd set the house on fire. i have a way out and they don't if it was a no win situation.

i am not afraid of the courts.

get a dog or 2. some hair spray and a lighter.

halogen lights. 18in lead pipe. modified air pistol with poison dipped darts, a real .357 semi auto.

fire works great, as you can tell i'm a big fan. burn them all!!!

eta; if someone wants you dead, not a lot of last minute thinking will help. it looks good in the movies but not so much in real life.

edit on 28-9-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Mate I love push daggers and switchblades, but they are illegal here in the uk. Tbh I live in a very secure place atm so am not as security concious as I have been before, I actually had an arson attack on my last flat so was very cautious then before finding out some idiots just got the wrong flat and I was ever the intended victim.

A few year ago a girl I know was arrested after hitting a guy outside a bar we were at after her bf was attacked, she had a switchblade in her bag and despite being illegal to possess she escaped with a caution after saying she feared walking home alone. I bet if I was caught with one in my homw because I feared attack I would be in a LOT more trouble. I used to have a belt buckle that was a kucklesuter when I was younger and that saved me a few times just by havng it, I never had to use it luckily for me but a group of people who would attack you will be put of if you are armed as these cowards don't want to risk injury. I eventually was cautioned for it being illegal but it was worth it as I would have probably have been put in hospital otherwise at least once.

Now I carry nothing because I don't want to get a record for being caught again, I just try keep in shape and hope I look scary enough (not asy to do at 5ft 7 though lol!) I have carried climbing carrbinas beforre tho on a key chain as they have a nasty point on the that can be used, even tho legal its not worth the risk if I get in trouble tho. It sucks when in your country you are always at a disadvantage against criminals who are always in bigger numbers and you can't protect yourself with anything worthy of carrying.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Several other good reasons why I left the UK for sunnier climes. Here, I can carry a folding knife on my belt without any risk of arrest and do so, openly.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
dont use a weapon introduce them to the mother in law!!! HELP RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

You need a flame thrower lol, just gota practice getting the tanks on quick! lol

I used to be a sparkys apprentice and alway kept some 25m conduit under my car seat incase coz roads are crazy, a friend was stabbed in the face over road rage, not even an accident just some angry guy with an anger problem, roads turn people into loonies I swear.

I forgot about dogs, I used to have a loverly bullmastiff, he ws the most gentle creature on the earth and was the best pet I have ever had, more likea brother than a pet actually. He was so calm, but would go into beserker mode at intruders or anyone getting aggressive with me or any of my family. I would hoghly recommend this because you will get a great companion as well, the breed are even really gentle with children despite the fact that they often out weight their owners. I can't give a dog enough time due to my work now, but I miss having a dog everyday and I can tell you if anyone attacked him I wouldn't think twice about treating it as if it were a family members being attacked.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by caddlesee

There is a differece between reasoable force and torture!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Believe me I am planning for the same as soon as I earn enough money and get enough training. Until then I'll have to settle for this though, I can get a .22 rifle atm but have to keep it at a gun club locked away from myself

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

A .177 air pistol. Keep the pellets soaked in diesel. Makes one hell of a crack and increases the muzzel velocity. Keep plenty of spare seals though.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Why last minute? Go buy a gun.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join