It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I question the OP's 'last minute' requirement. Generally he who is the most prepaired wins. Think the scenarios thu, decide upon the best weapon, get some training and practice with it. Me? I'm armed because when seconds matter the cops are minutes away.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by protoaz

Hi protoaz,

VERY good post, and I agree with all your points.

But I feel I should emphasize again the importance of learning some unarmed combat skills as well.

Reason being, if you don't have it in you to fight off/disable/kill an attacker with your bare hands and feet - then you probably don't have it in you to do it with a weapon either

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
When I worked in the pen I was extremely good at catching inmates fashioning weapons and I was especially good at finding hidden weapons. One of the scariest weapons I found was a piece of plexi-glass that was honed down into a double edged blade. I discovered the blade hidden in a place that inmates like to stash "sold" items. A few weeks later I found the inmate that made the blade in the act of making more. He was simply pushing the plexi-glass across the concrete floor in his cell with his boot. He said he could make 5 in an hour.

Another weapon that I discovered was a spear, yes a spear, made out of newspaper. Nothing else, no added adhesive, just a tightly rolled Houston Chronicle.

My favorite weapon by far was a rolled up magazine that was taped tightly, it was hard as steel and made a sick kubaton.

Check out this spoon shank in the link below.
www.zootpatrol.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I have two dogs who will go crazy if someone approaches the house.
If,and I mean,IF they make it in the house,they will have a .357 Ruger revolver to deal with.

Something handy I have used,which is effective is hairspray and a lighter.
Not that I have used it on people,just to kill flies.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Living in the Islands, while single I slept in a locked room with a bat in easy reach. A fed marshal told me keep a can of oven cleaner in the car or to deal with intruders in my home, go for the face, and then run like hell while they're dealing with effects. Here's what I would grab depending on where in home I am...Broom stick, rolling pin, flying can goods, frying pan, power supply of my lappy swung from cord, electric bug zapper racket, always got a can of bug spray around, shower curtain bar, scissors, nail file, anything aerosol sprayed in face, door ripped off bath room vanity or medicine cabinet, umbrella, anything I can grab and use to hit you and keep a distance between us. Lastly if you get me in close range and have your hands on me I will bite, punch, kick, poke or scratch, and I am going for you face, throat, ears, nipples, collar bone, inside of your foot , or groin. If you invade my home I will assume the worst of you, and treat you accordingly, because I don't think you came for tea
edit on 27-9-2011 by IslandGirl because: typo

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Best close quarters weapon? German Shepherd
They're smart, loyal, loving and deadly.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by PapaEmeritus
Best close quarters weapon? German Shepherd
They're smart, loyal, loving and deadly.

Not always cheap though.

I was going to include dogs in my list, but hey, they are expensive to buy and take care of.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by IslandGirl
Living in the Islands, while single I slept in a locked room with a bat in easy reach. A fed marshal told me keep a can of oven cleaner in the car or to deal with intruders in my home, go for the face, and then run like hell while they're dealing with effects. Here's what I would grab depending on where in home I am...Broom stick, rolling pin, flying can goods, frying pan, power supply of my lappy swung from cord, electric bug zapper racket, always got a can of bug spray around, shower curtain bar, scissors, nail file, anything aerosol sprayed in face, door ripped off bath room vanity or medicine cabinet, umbrella, anything I can grab and use to hit you and keep a distance between us. Lastly if you get me in close range and have your hands on me I will bite, punch, kick, poke or scratch, and I am going for you face, throat, ears, nipples, collar bone, inside of your foot , or groin. If you invade my home I will assume the worst of you, and treat you accordingly, because I don't think you came for tea
edit on 27-9-2011 by IslandGirl because: typo

Note to self: Never piss off IslandGirl.

I'm scared just reading about it. D:
edit on 28-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

first I lold, then I was offended.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
It very much depends where you are and what is to hand. For instance, in the street, good close quarters defence can be achieved with a pocket full of small change and a bunch of keys.

Throw the change at the attackers face. This will act rather like chaff, if you will, the normal instinct would be to turn the head and close the eyes or attempt to shield the face. This will give you enough time to decide on your next action. Fight or flight. If it is flight, run like the wind and get out of dodge. If it be fight, use the keys like a push dagger. You can jab or slash. Either method to the face will bring the desired result. Then, strike, strike and strike. Use the momentum of the attack to drive the enemy back. Do not stop until the assaliant is either down or retreating.

However, saying all that. The best way to win a fight is to avoid it.
edit on 28/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Your feet and fists.

First and foremost, learn to fight with your limbs.

Techniques include - strike to the jaw, temple, eyes, ears, groin, solar plexus, throat will all hurt or disable a foe.

An open handed strike just under the jaw will knock the opponents head back, a kick to the groin or an elbow to the eye socket will work effectively too.

A little known but effective tip: If you aim to kick someone in the groin, aim just above the private parts and aim for the pubic bone - this is a very painful place to get kicked.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Good adivice. Although, I would not suggest a kick with the foot anywhere above knee level. Use the knee. A kick from an untrained fighter will leave them unbalanced and open to a good defence and counter attack. If you strike, do not over extend.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by IslandGirl
anything I can grab and use to hit you and keep a distance between us. Lastly if you get me in close range and have your hands on me I will bite, punch, kick, poke or scratch, and I am going for you face, throat, ears, nipples, collar bone, inside of your foot , or groin. If you invade my home I will assume the worst of you, and treat you accordingly, because I don't think you came for tea

Or coffee? Hahaha

Yes, when you're in this whole business of being highly knowledgeable about a lot of sensitive/classified subjects, and politically active, and communicating with extraterrestrial people and stuff, it's very important to toughen yourself up both mentally and physically.

And yes, definitely, learn to defend yourself with bare hands and feet as well as with weapons. Keep some weapons handy around your home, and in your car and on your person too.

Good, very good.

I personally dislike violence, and I don't really want to hurt anyone. But if certain very unpleasant groups and societies of people don't leave me alone, then I may be left with no choice but to retaliate.... :-

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

Good adivice. Although, I would not suggest a kick with the foot anywhere above knee level. Use the knee. A kick from an untrained fighter will leave them unbalanced and open to a good defence and counter attack. If you strike, do not over extend.

A good point. In that case use the heel of your foot to snap down against the side of your opponents knee, this will topple even the biggest opponent if done correctly. As for the groin, use your knee.

Another tip - if unarmed and your opponent is coming right at you, cup both your hands slightly and snap them against your opponents ears (like a cupped slap). This can cause damage to your opponents ear drums by displacing the air and is quite shocking if they don't expect it. Combine this with a knee to the groin for good measure.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

An old Royal Marines method from the second world war. Aparently used to great effect.
I must admit, I had forgotten that little gem.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher

An old Royal Marines method from the second world war. Aparently used to great effect.
I must admit, I had forgotten that little gem.

Indeed

I always tend to wear heavy boots (instead of shoes) whenever I venture outside.

Another tip: If grabbed from behind. Drag your foot heel down the opponents shin bone and then slam your heaviest part of your foot into the soft fleshy part of your opponents foot (on top where the ligaments meets the bone) - This is another Marine trick (taught to me by my Grandad) then slam the back of your head into their face.

If someone grabs you by the throat, try and force them to extend their arm into a straight position (i.e so their arm isn't bent at the elbow) - then hold their wrist and slam your other arm into their (OUTER) upper arm just above the elbow, with enough force you can break their elbow or at least inflict a lot of pain.

Alternatively, slam your other arm into the inside of their elbow to deflect it.

edit on 28-9-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Another good method from a rear bear hug is to hold on to one of the attackers hands and keep a good hold. throw your bum back and drop to the ground as you lean forward. The attacker, regardless of size will go gliding over you head to the ground. Keep hold of the hand, stand up and start breaking fingers and teeth with the heel of your shoe.
edit on 28/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Spelling spelling and............................spelling

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Living out in the boonies ..I have always felt better about my safety at home if I own a dog with protective instincts... Even a breed that just barks and raises hell will give you adequate time to decide which gun you want to use and where you are going to fire upon them from after they enter your house if a barking dog doesn't make them change their mind.. The sound of a pump action shotgun having a round jacked into the chamber should scare the crap out of anyone with half a brain and if not aiming and pulling the trigger will prevent a close quarters situation... Having firearms conveniently stashed, locked and cocked is a good idea with all of the home invasion robberies that have been occurring in recent years... I'm am old guy that can't do what I could to stave off an attack other than to use some type of weapon.. I am armed with a Cold Steel City Stick when in the city and generally have a tactical type lock blade Boker, Cold Steel, S&W, Gerber or Bench Made knife or 2 or 3 in my pocket or pockets unless I am entering a facility where carrying a knife is illegal... My wife has a mode 38 S&W airweight double action revolver with a semi shrouded hammer and I prefer automatic pistols of John Browning design since I carried a Colt 1911A1 along with a KaBar fighting knife as my issued weapons 43 years ago.... Some things become a habit.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

I hear that. I wish I had the comfort of being able to legally own a gun. We have been effectively disarmed over here. However, when out and about in the city or burbs, I carry a push dagger, easy to hide and even easier to deploy.

In the forest and mountains, I have a crossbow at camp and a variety of knives when I am on the move. The chest compartment of my rucksack also contains a canister of bear mace.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join