It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

No offence intended.
Yes wc has many siblings some great some not so great.Most wc came to the west through Hong kong and Tiawan some went through Mongolia into eastern europe at the time the U.S.S.R, picked up some local variations and ended up in isreal when the easten european jews went there.No idea why its called km.Anyway this is not the place for this discussion.
edit on 27-9-2011 by marvinthemartian because: oops

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Obviously a daily carry pistol is best.

I take it this is another UK we cant have anything because we are subjects question so If I was......

A common 3 or 4 D cell mag light would be the tool of choice. And some follow through practice so your crackin bones. The trusty torch as they say over there. You can wrap a big coil of fishing lead around a AA battery and use that as the one closest to the cap. Hold on at the bell so it doesnt slip out of your hand.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

This should be sufficient ;D

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
cunning or good comunication skills.
and if that fails use the good ole home made potato launcher.

ps defence is the english spelling and colour has a U

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Louisville Slugger.... Nuf Ced

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Something like this????

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
there is a sword or staff in every corner of my home, the only room that does not have multiple weapons already at hand ...well lets just say catching you with your pants down applies, and there is always the porcelain tank lid
)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dylan201

a would go with a small cup of sulphuric acid, the # melts ur skin like abar of chocolate infront of a fire !

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507

Originally posted by cupocoffee

Defending your own home? A gun of any type.

When you're out on the town, you can't really carry around a baseball bat or a katana as some have recommended, so you need something smaller and concealable. A knife, brass knucks, heck even a nice heavy rock would do. Somebody in another thread recommended a collapsible baton.

I wear a large, cheap heavy watch on a stainless steel band. The watch weighs over a pound and if I needed to I could smack someone good with it...

I KNOW YOU!!!

But in all seriousness, having a handgun (and being trained to use it) is the best idea. That way you don't have to let them get too close to you and start a possible tussle over a knife which you may lose. Then again, some people aren't up to pulling the trigger either, even when faced with an imminent threat.

I guess it depends on what you're made of.
edit on 9/27/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Yes, wasp spray is excellent, good for women to carry in the car because it has a range of about 20 feet.

However,there is a serious weapon found around most surburban homes that is easly converted from a garden tool.

A pair of manual garden hedge clippers with the pivot bolt removed makes for a pretty decent weapon. Virtually a knife on a long handle, it could be very effective. I have long favored a simple hatchet for a personal defense weapon, but their narrow cutting area and weight can be a severe disadvantage, The hedge clipper half has the advantage of having a point at the end, thereby making it a stabbing weapon. Plus, the blade has more length than most knives, and a lighter weight that can allow for a better recovery from a missed strike.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Hmmm cheap weapons...

For lets say home invasion?

first off if someone is invading your home, they already have the upper hand because they are the aggressor. Unless they are a complete idiot or crackhead of some kind they have a plan. More then likely armed..

You have very few options at this point. Aggressor has the surprise, which means time..

Anyhow thou. Cheap close quarter weapons..

Make a spear with a nice point, also stick with thrusting weapons, if you are using a bat thrust the bat do not swing it like an ape, you will apply more damage with a thrust of the tip of the bat as appose to a swing, and con cindering if this is a home invation, you are going to need a deathly blow in as little time as possible.. You are not going to have time to make smoke bombs or dig up bug spray, you are going to have to hide and be ready to strike.

with a little practice if your really cheap you can learn how to shoot bullets without guns..

thats not a joke either.

another option would be a jack the ripper chord..

my first and only goal thou, would be making time, creating confusion to my assaulter and either if the moment arrived go for a fatal blow, or position myself to acquire the fire arm and more then likely use it on him without a thought, for either moves.

Especially if I am protecting my Family..

Not to mention having dogs are very good at creating time and preventing the aggressor most prized weapon surprise.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The best weapon is your mind.. no seriously. You never know the circumstances of how you might be attacked.. you can't even predict your reaction to a sudden attack. I have a few things around the house for home defense but the reality is that when the moment comes anything you can get your hand on fastest if your best choice.
Educate yourself on anatomy, physics, psychology.. if you can keep a straight head you can protect yourself with a pen. You need to always be smart though.. even with a firearm you are not likely to survive if you react hastily and without thought.

Learn some basic krav maga for free online.. if you "get it" anything will become a lethal weapon in your hands.

That said you need to keep a few basic ideas in mind when choosing a good weapon for around the house.

A handgun is the most practical because it is small and manageable yet effective and has range.
A shotgun is very effective and requires less aiming ability.. though you will likely # up your house.
I prefer to avoid gun if possible because you will likely kill the intruder and land yourself in a lot of trouble unfortunately.

-I always have a quality folding pocket knife on me. Quick access and good for very tight quarters. You don't need more than a 3" blade if you use it very deliberately. Want to avoid the junkie blood if you can though.

-I have a short bat.. it is short because it is easier to handle in hallways and crowded rooms. It lives by the door which is in a narrow hallway.

-When you don't have to worry about tight spaces it is better to think about range. There is a reason that pole-arms were the dominant military weapon before firearms. I have a bokken because it is comfortable to hold, has a good striking edge and is made from a very strong wood that won't easily break.
Another cheap and easy long weapon is a shovel handle, just a long thick pole slightly tapered at one end, I bought for $4.50. Pro-tip.. swing less. poke more.

-I have a real high carbon folded steel katana for when # gets real.. but mostly for it's intimidation factor as I don't actually want to cleave people and spill their insides. Not my idea of a good time.

-Avoid hammers and axes as the back ends of those weapons can easily be used against you (e.g. driven back into your face) and the weight, while good at delivering maximum force, makes them harder to handle and easier to counter.

The best weapon of all is preemptive.. good locks, deterrent security features such as alarms and lights, window bars.. you get the picture?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
if your protecting you home, and if creative like me, and you were really worried about a home invation, but want no fire arms etc. etc.

Harness you electricity in your home...

can be as easy as using an extension chord to fabricating something outta you breaker box...

get a metal door handle to your hiding place, attach 110 or whatever electricity to it, 110 is best because its hard to let go of it, and its more fatal then 220...

you can make you home very secure,alarms and deadlocks are awesome thou like the other poster said, but I mean these are when everything fails what if...

its always good to have some contingency plans. And for god sakes think about what if it happened, before it does so you have a plan or idea, of what to do, and not panic..

but ya using you homes electricity is a good way to go also.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I was told this by a guy who did 15 years in a Calif State Prison, which are among the toughest in the nation.

A pen.

Simply, but can do a lot of damage. Go for major organs or arteries. A pen is someones neck will stop them about as quickly as you can hope. Also good for the legal aspect. Would a pen be used in self defense, or in an attack? Most likely,self defense.
edit on 27-9-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Here is my belief personally, in regards to the topic at question, specifically "last minute weapons". To myself these do not include anything you can make or have nearby. Let me explain. Even if you have 3 guns in your house (a gun is adequate protection IMHO in my example) Who is to say that when an intruder strikes, or you become aware of said intruder, that the weapon is going to be nearby you where you need it the most. Or for that matter will you have a lock on the trigger, is the mag loaded, safety off?

A killer is not going to let you pause like a video game while you go "retrieve" your firearm or any other weapon you have prepared in advance. Lets say you have no children in the house (people with children should not keep a weapon locked and cocked without safety countermeasures unless they want to become front page news statistics) and you keep a gun next to you in the night stand, safety off, one chambered. Great! your very prepared if you hear something and have time to grab the weapon from the coziness of your bed. But what if your ( i hate to be crass) on the toilet? In the den/office checking email late night? etc... if your following me. The truth of the matter is that unless you holster your weapon everywhere you go in your house you can be left wide open and surprised. The way you "imagined/prepared" in your mind how an intruder would/could gain entry, could terribly fail and not even come close to reality in regards to what actually could happen. You could prepare for every scenario that you could think of that could happen and guess what? The one you didn't think of, or overlooked happens. Thats life.

Impromptu weapons. These will save your butt in situations like these. Now i do not claim to be an expert, but i am however a creative thinker on my feet. These are not weapons that you "plan" on having or even using. This is spur of the moment creativity when it comes to self defense. Before i go further let me just state a few things. I myself personally have 3 firearms in my home. And they are chambered with safety off for a moments notice use. I however live totally alone so that works for me. Another thing is that i keep several other weapons scattered around the house. There is always a stick/bat behind the front door and similarly at the rear entry of the house as well. A few knives in my bathroom (no i am not paranoid, i butcher small game in my bathtub as i do not have a shed or a garage and it makes clean up easy) I have a 9mm located within my kitchen, a 45 in my bedroom and a shotgun (loaded and ready) mounted on a wall in my living room.

Now it may seem as if i am prepared but i could still fall victim in a few circumstances. What if i am showering, in my den (use a PEN OR A LETTER OPENER!!), in my closet etc etc. You could go on an on (what if i just woke up... enter anything you will.. its all a factor). And all though I am not the expert and cannot possible be prepared for everything i must think outside the box. And i am sorry i am rambling on here, i have just seen too many people flame/bash people here so i am trying to explain in detail so i dont hear "what about this, what about that" etc.

But lets just say for the moment i do not have these things i have mentioned. What do you do then? Impromptu as i stated before. Why? Because no matter how many guns or "other" improvised weapons you prepare, who is to say you have access to anyone of them in the exact time of need. Look at your surroundings and become accustomed to what is in your home already. Then brainstorm the potential for all as weapons. Catalog this in memory and you have yourself an arsenal of defense.

Let me give you just a couple examples to see my point (disclaimer once again, this is if your weapons or "what you have planned on using" is not available) After all this is a life or death situation we are talking about and becoming McGuyver with a hairspray/lighter flame thrower may seem awesome, but doesn't always work out. Some of this may sound cheap. but again REMEMBER this is impromptu stuff.

In the bathroom, no weapons? have a nail clipper? Most have a file on them. Its like a knife but not as sharp. Aim for the neck/eyes/ or privates. In bed? no gun in drawer? Have a lamp? Take shade off, smash glass light bulb, turn on... Jab anywhere on attacker, face preferable. Filament will penetrate slightly but also electrify your attacker.
In your closet? Have metal clothes hangers? Untwist clothes hanger at the neck. Twist around knuckles and protrude between fingers. Punch with this towards eyes or jugular in the neck. Cooking dinner? SMASH with frying pan , nuff said. Ironing clothes? Smash with hot burning Iron in face, nuff said. Kitchen has knives.. RUN TO IT!! Have a belt on your pants? Take off and strangle them! Umbrella? WEAPON!! (stab face/eyes) Doing laundry? Splash Bleach in eyes! Bite, Kick, push!! Heavy objects to the head. Kitchen trash bags over head to suffocate. (continued)
edit on 27-9-2011 by protoaz because: spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by protoaz

(continued) Brushing teeth? Toothbrush handle to the eyes! Vacuuming? Swing like a bat!! Sweeping, broomstick to the eye!!

Dont fall victim to the typical "what do i do" scenario. Do you have a hammer? Weapon! Meat tenderizer?(not powder but the utensil) weapon!
And for those who must complain these are not a defense against an attacker who has a gun. Well using one of these is much better than just putting your hand in front of your face in which a bullet will still penetrate and kill you ok? I know these all seem ambiguous but most people do not even realize the potential unless told. Im sorry a long skinny, pointed candle in the eye socket will surely damage and thwart and attacker.

Do you think on my level? Does not matter to me i am just trying to share. And i am sorry.. EVERYTHING becomes a weapon in my eyes. And the ones you can use at a moments notice are the ones that can save your life when all others fail.. If i have nothing my fingers will gouge your eyes out (four fingers behind ears to grab, depress thumbs deeply and forcibly into eye sockets. And now ask yourself. If you were a thief, would you want to break into my house?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
if you're referring how to defend yourself from some whacked out crackhead breaking into your house so he can get some cash to buy a rock, i recommend a fog horn.

start blowing that thing in the middle of the night, and even a professional hit team will bolt.

team that up with a semi auto shot gun with a flashlight attachment and you got a solid home defense kit.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Whatever's nearby, just look around your room. It could be dumbells, lava lamps, a piggy bank, a guitar, a drum cymbal, a coffee mug, alarm clock swinging around by the cord (lol), and so on. If you don't want to spend a dime, maybe you can spare a kitchen knife and just put it nearby your bed in case of a break-in.

But it would be awesome if you had some crazy weapon that a robber wouldn't even consider preparing for. He busts down the door, and you step into the hallway swinging a medival mace around

edit on 27-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I work as a Community Corrections Officer at a mens work release facility, we have around 50 - 60 inmates at any given time there, and are free to roam about. We staff are not allowed to carry any type of weapon, so............. I carry this guy around with me when I do my rounds with my clip board ,www.amazon.com...=asc_df_B0046ZONOO1719530?smid=A3SPLR0MSOYZ8O&tag=pgmp-1587-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=39510 I also carry a surefire G2, I know I can smash someone in the face quick with it if I have to, and it will hurt them worse than it hurts the light, and I can also spot blind someone if I need to, and of course the radio. Even my radio can be used as a weapon if I need it in a pinch. Learn to improvise with the things around you. In the inmates day room I already have an array of weapons picked out of simple items around me if I really need to, but I know all these guys around me have already thought of these things as well. It's just trying to stay caught up with them, not as much as staying ahead of them. Gotta be ready to use anything.

BTW ETA: the pen is an awesome kubotan if anyone was wondering...
edit on 27/9/11 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join