It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Home defense is something you don't take lightly. I have a Sig Sauer.40 cal pistol in my nightstand, not chambered, but ready to rock. If a meth-head breaks into your home at 3am determined to steal to get his fix, there is little to deter him from hurting you to get what he needs. Don't mess around, get a gun. You always want to hold the trump card, always...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RustyNailer

How about a wallet with a chain saw chain on it?

p.s. Long live Rusty Nail, the most evil and straight forward vigilante the cinema world has ever seen!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mccw2003
As someone who teaches close quarters combat, it makes sense to carry legal items on your person for self defense. You can't always carry a machete or brass knuckles or a huge knife, a firearm. If a SHTF scenario hits just out of the blue, you may be in line at Starbucks or walking in the grocery store and you can't carry obvious weapons. Also, if you get stopped by the police and there's no SHTF scenario happening, try explaining to the officer why you are carrying that Katana sword or sawed-off shotgun under your seat. Instead, for starters, anything can be used as a weapon. If a SHTF scenario does hit and you're without your handy molitov coctail, look for other things you can use, think shank-like weapons, and melee. Learn to recognize what objects you can use and how anytime you walk into a room or a new enviroment. To stay legal, carry simple things like a pen. A pen to the throat is a violent attack and if you want to take it down a notch and keep it non-lethal, turn it around to the blunt end. Another option is a simple comb. It can be used to slit throats, scrape across the eyes ect...a very, very violent attack! Thats why they are banned in prisons. Another option is you wallet, the thicker, the better. You can ram one corner into the attackers throat. Not fun for him I promise you. Also, your cell phone in the same mannor...see a pattern here? These are all legal items. The key here is learn to use your common sense. Think about things ahead of time...the what ifs. Even a big rock, anything you can pick up you can use somehow even if it's just for a distraction such as a handful of gravel, hot coffee, both can be thrown into the eyes. Think about what you can use if you were trapped in your bathroom by a bunch a crazies....hairspray, bug spray, air freshener, toothbrush. Train yourself to be more aware. Hope that helps.

Well said,

Wing Chun?
edit on 29-9-2011 by one_small_step because: bad spellnig

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by AngryAlien

You go ahead and tell a cop you have a water pistol full of highly corrosive acid as a personal defense weapon and see what happens.

I just might try that since I'm overly confident that he will do nothing about it.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryAlien

You go ahead and tell a cop you have a water pistol full of highly corrosive acid as a personal defense weapon and see what happens.

I just might try that since I'm overly confident that he will do nothing about it.

I'll visit you.

What kind of cake do you want baked around your file?

Make sure the nice policeman has a plastic bag to put the water pistol in when he confiscates it. Those sulfuric acid leaks can be a real bitch to get out of uniforms and off skin, and water pistols - erm, I mean acid pistols - are not noteworthy for being sealed up real good against leaks.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have wandered a few desolate streets in my time,and have found that three or more egg sized rocks can have a tremendous effect if used properly.For example after you say back off! and someone doesnt listen you quite simply launch one or two at their chest and head area,a single strike has a tremendous deterrant effect a head strike can easily be fatal or maiming.Best part is that only you see where the rebounds go so you kinda have endless ammo if you keep moving,and also a strike from two feet away is as bad as from ten feet away and an open hand strike rock down is awsome in its power.

A knife is not a happy pal to an egg sized rock because I am clocking you from long distance,short distance and in close .Unless of course I run out of rocks and you are still standing.

Try this,fill three small balloons with water and give your friend a felt marker thatt is washable,walk thirty feet apart then engage each other,he must mark you before you deal him a blow to the head ,neck or knife hand or arm with your balloons,then post your results.

Best of all,egg sized rocks are free and you can practice everywhere.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
I have wandered a few desolate streets in my time,and have found that three or more egg sized rocks can have a tremendous effect if used properly.For example after you say back off! and someone doesnt listen you quite simply launch one or two at their chest and head area,a single strike has a tremendous deterrant effect a head strike can easily be fatal or maiming.Best part is that only you see where the rebounds go so you kinda have endless ammo if you keep moving,and also a strike from two feet away is as bad as from ten feet away and an open hand strike rock down is awsome in its power.

I don't think the poster ever claimed they were Muslim. They would be offended if they found out westerners were adopting their stoning techniques...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
In a riot, gasoline filled balloons. The best way to rid the police of riot gear is to set it on fire.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

I'll visit you.

What kind of cake do you want baked around your file?

Make sure the nice policeman has a plastic bag to put the water pistol in when he confiscates it. Those sulfuric acid leaks can be a real bitch to get out of uniforms and off skin, and water pistols - erm, I mean acid pistols - are not noteworthy for being sealed up real good against leaks.

I could tell him I have an M1A1 tank at home, ready to go with ammo. I could tell him I have a water pistol at home with acid in it, ready to go. I have not commited any crime. It is not a crime to put acid in a water pistol, though it MAY be a crime if it were used. Cops are not there to prevent crime, they are there to deter and respond, once a law has been broken. Thay would still need the warrant to secure the water gun, which they would never get.

On topic, just get a real gun and be done with it, problem solved. If you want something cheap, go with the Hi-Point 9MM. You can get one for about $150, it's durable, reliable, and does not require major cleaning.
edit on 30-9-2011 by AngryAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyNailer

Originally posted by one4all

I don't think the poster ever claimed they were Muslim. They would be offended if they found out westerners were adopting their stoning techniques...

I think rock throwing is a skill unique to Ireland... ask any Brit.

edit on 30-9-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

It is not a crime to put acid in a water pistol, though it MAY be a crime if it were used.

you're actually right. in most states it is completely legal to own a flamethrower. flamethrowers are probably defined as "chemical throwing devices".

acid in a water pistol isn't illegal, BUT you could use it to do something illegal. just like owning a flamethrower is perfectly fine, but you can't burn your neighbor's house with it for no reason.

*to the poster above me:

i thought the irish threw potatoes, not rocks "remember the famine" and all that =P
edit on 30-9-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I could tell him I have an M1A1 tank at home, ready to go with ammo. I could tell him I have a water pistol at home with acid in it, ready to go. I have not commited any crime. It is not a crime to put acid in a water pistol, though it MAY be a crime if it were used. Cops are not there to prevent crime, they are there to deter and respond, once a law has been broken. Thay would still need the warrant to secure the water gun, which they would never get.

I think you should DO IT then. Right away, don't delay! Let us know how long it takes a judge or magistrate to find "probable cause" for a warrant on strength of your admission, and whether or not the police wait for you to squirt someone with it.

We could also find with that little experiment whether or not it truly IS illegal - or not - to make a destructive device that projects corrosives.

On topic, just get a real gun and be done with it, problem solved. If you want something cheap, go with the Hi-Point 9MM. You can get one for about $150, it's durable, reliable, and does not require major cleaning.

Well, that's my personal solution, but the constabulary around here tends to frown upon toting a shotgun around under a rain slicker, so I usually leave it at home. It doesn't do me much good on the street like that, but then I don't generally live in fear, either. On the subject of Hi-Points, I wouldn't take one if it was given to me for free, but that's just a personal preference. If I want a pistol, I'll get a pistol, and if I want a rifle, I'll get a rifle, but I won't get a gizmo that combines the worst properties of both.

Now, if you've got a pistol in a rifle caliber, instead of vice-versa, I'm listening...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

i thought the irish threw potatoes, not rocks "remember the famine" and all that =P

Nah, they're dead shots with rocks, too. The potatoes get too mushy, and often have bites taken out of them to improve aerodynamics...

It's not a uniquely Irish sport, though - Palestinians are pretty good shots with rocks, too!

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Well, that's my personal solution, but the constabulary around here tends to frown upon toting a shotgun around under a rain slicker, so I usually leave it at home. It doesn't do me much good on the street like that, but then I don't generally live in fear, either. On the subject of Hi-Points, I wouldn't take one if it was given to me for free, but that's just a personal preference. If I want a pistol, I'll get a pistol, and if I want a rifle, I'll get a rifle, but I won't get a gizmo that combines the worst properties of both.

Now, if you've got a pistol in a rifle caliber, instead of vice-versa, I'm listening...

It is a pistol. Thanks for proving you know nothing about firearms.

Also, this thread is about close quarters self defense(like at home), not about what kind of weapon he can carry around anywhere under a trenchcoat.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Whoa there, young fella! Methinks thou dost assume too much! The Hi-Point company's first "weapon" was the Hi-Point Carbine in 9mm. One look at that by anyone who knows anything about firearms will convince them it's a toy. After I saw that travesty of a firearm, I wrote off the whole company as lacking in serious sense, and haven't checked back on them. Why bother? Hell, you might as well get a Tec-9 if all you wanna do is LOOK bad to the unknowing!

Don't assume I "know nothing" just because I don't deal in low-end toy jam-a-matics.

I can't believe that what you just typed there came off the keyboard of someone who thinks filling a squirt gun with sulfuric acid is somehow a good idea... or maybe I can believe it, on second thought.

Also, this thread is about close quarters self defense(like at home), not about what kind of weapon he can carry around anywhere under a trenchcoat.

Yes, 'tis true, but YOU are the one who brought up the Hi-Point,,,

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

P.S. - I can point out what I requested - a pistol in a rifle caliber (specifically 5.56x45) just as I mentioned. Can you, with that vast storehouse of firearms knowledge you possess?

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Whoa there, young fella! Methinks thou dost assume too much! The Hi-Point company's first "weapon" was the Hi-Point Carbine in 9mm. One look at that by anyone who knows anything about firearms will convince them it's a toy. After I saw that travesty of a firearm, I wrote off the whole company as lacking in serious sense, and haven't checked back on them. Why bother? Hell, you might as well get a Tec-9 if all you wanna do is LOOK bad to the unknowing!

Don't assume I "know nothing" just because I don't deal in low-end toy jam-a-matics.

I can't believe that what you just typed there came off the keyboard of someone who thinks filling a squirt gun with sulfuric acid is somehow a good idea... or maybe I can believe it, on second thought.

Yes, 'tis true, but YOU are the one who brought up the Hi-Point,,,

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

P.S. - I can point out what I requested - a pistol in a rifle caliber (specifically 5.56x45) just as I mentioned. Can you, with that vast storehouse of firearms knowledge you possess?

Here we go.

Hi-Point has an extensive line of carbines and pistols. My assumption was spot on, since you obviously reject the firearm before even shooting it or checking out what others think of of it. I have never had a single jam with mine, and even if I did Hi-Point has the best warranty in the industry on their products. If the gun ever breaks, or has a problem, you can send it in, and they will fix or replace it, no questions asked. This is a lifetime warranty, and follows the gun, not the owner, so I can by a used one and it still has the same lifetime warranty. Plus the customer service is the industry standard.

So in conclusion, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to Hi-Points. Yes, they are not the most aesthetically pleasing gun, but i'm more worried about functionality than how cool I look.

Kelteck offers several PLR's (Pistol Long Range) in various rifle calibers, including 5.56.

www.gunblast.com...

There is also an AK variant, but I don't recall who makes that one. If those are too big, then go with the FN Five-seven (I learned that one from playing Counter Stike, lol)

ETA: I never said that filling a squirt gun with acid was a good idea. I said someone shouldnt be arrested for defending their home with it. I would never do it (maybe I would if that's all I had), but I wouldn't tell anyone not to do anything to defend their life or their famalies. If they are threatened, I think they should be able to do whatever they can to defend their life and property.

My suggestions in this thread were:

1. A golf tee (wooden or plastic) - Easy to conceal and hurts like hell when jammed in the ribs. But if you're at home, there's likely better things to grab.
2. A Hi-Point Pistol

Anything can be used as a weapon.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dylan201
Whats an easy yet effective weapon you could use for self defence in close quarters, like to defend your home for example..

i was thinking of lye, you can put it in a bottle and just send it flying at the intruders face and burn them.

A dog and nothing less than .40 hollow point handgun.

And don't ever fall for the trap that you should just let them in and do their thing. If you are completely unarmed, there will come an opportune time. Use your head. And fight for your life. And the time to fight for your life is before they tie your wife and daughters and you up.

And the thing about the dog. It needs be a house dog. Not a back yard dog. You need to bond with your dog. You need to love it, play with it, give it respect and let it sleep next to your bed at night. You do that, and your dog with die for you.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

I own several Hi-Point C9 pistols as well as the 995 Carbines, and they're not Jam-0-matics. Obviously you've never owned or fired one, or you'd know that. Inexpensive doesn't always mean cheap and unreliable.

I can shoot just as well with my C9 as anybody and for about a third of the costs.. If my gun malfunctions Hi-Point will fix it or replace it FREE of charge. Can you say the same for your Glock, Beretta, Sig Sauer, Kimber, ad nauseum? Most of these companies charge for repairs and will rarely replace a gun with no questions asked.

edit on 30-9-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

I'm happy that you're happy with your guns. My guns are working guns - my life depends on them, and the proper selection and maintenance of them. Proper selection is the reason that I reject Hi-Points. You can bet your life on one, and I'll bet mine on what I'm comfortable with.

I have no quarrel with either of you or your Hi-Points, I'm sure they're fun at the range, and raise a lot of questions. I'll not be carrying one at work, though.

I don't deal with Glocks, either - they're just not ergonomically suited to me. For me, trying to shoot a Glock is like trying to aim a 2x4. That's not the case for everyone, and whatever they're comfortable with, I'm comfortable for them to have.

I can't say about repair costs for any of them, since I've never broke one of mine. I take care of them, and they take care of me. Since you mentioned Berettas, I will say that I never had a seconds worth of trouble out of mine. I did have a rifle, an old .22, fail to extract once, a long time ago, but I don't know what repair cost would have been - I fixed it myself, which took about 10 minutes to file the extractor claw back into the proper form.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

"To each his own" as they say.
I simply hate to hear people run down a truly a great gun. I assume you must be in law enforcement or some type of security work, so it might interest you to know they are rather highly rated within your community.

Police

The Model 995 was easy to keep on target and fun to shoot, and as a former cop with over 20 years in the field, I wouldn't hesitate to stick one of these in my trunk and put it to work. At this price, even if you simply get your agency to approve them, you can buy one yourself out of your beer and pizza money.

As a home defense gun, this carbine just can't be beat. Virtually no recoil, low muzzle report, low (virtually non-existent) muzzle flash, and accuracy that is right at the top make it easy to transition to and great for small-statured shooters.

edit on 1-10-2011 by Redwing48 because: correct spelling

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join