It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by caddlesee
Why not make a homemade taser!!! alot of vids on youtube to make one of these just using the capacitors from a camera the more you use more power!!

Building a DIY stun gun or taser requires some basic tech electrical knowledge, and most of these stupid Youtube vids won't go enough in the details to make the construction safe.

Reason being the capacitors used in stun guns can fry you quickly if mishandled. You also a transformer of the right amps or you can blow it up. Electricity's no child's play, so take it seriously.

Pepper spray, on the other had, is cheap/easy to make and is damn effective. Plus no injuries or death caused by mistake or misjudgement.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragoon01

I agree with most of your post. If you are not prepared to seriously harm or kill your attacker, you'll fail. I've seen people totally freeze up when attacked because they were unwilling to hurt another person; even one that fully intended on harming them.

Don't count on your enemy showing you mercy simply because you cooperate and give them what they want. Begging and pleading won't help, it will probably just makes them more sadistic in their handling of you. Fight with every ounce of your strength, and make taking your life costly. How many times have you read about victims that cooperated with their assailants only to be brutally murdered anyway? Here's a perfect example of what happens when you expect mercy from a home invader..

Wichita Massacre

Don't end up like these poor people did please.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Okay, my son just told me an interesting story about his "Super Soaker Squirt Gun " filled with Rubbing Alcohol and a bottle of Red Savina Pepper Sauce. He advises to mix well and handle with care because the hot stuff doesn't wash off very easy.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
A golf tee is A cheap and effective compliance tool. They are easy to conceal, hold, and hurt like hell when jammed in the ribs or ther areas.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A plastic super soaker filled with muriatic corrosive acid.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think many of the posters here are making suggestions that would land you a hefty prison sentence. It is IMPERATIVE that one read up on his/her local/state self-defense laws and how they apply to the use of any and all legally available weaponry.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Sometimes it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. It's your choice.. so choose wisely.

Criminals For Gun Control

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwing48
Sometimes it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. It's your choice.. so choose wisely.

Criminals For Gun Control

Spraying someone down with corrosive acid isn't self defense. If you have a weapon that can store such substances at the ready you will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, assault with intent to maim, and a whole host of other charges that could be attributed to the use of corrosives and other objects and substances. Sometimes it's better to use legally obtainable weaponry and be in the right than it would be to maim needlessly and be thrown in jail and watch the criminal you maimed be set free because you thought it would be better to be judged by twelve.

I'm not for gun control. But I'm certainly not for some of the irresponsible "suggestions" being tossed around here.

Edit to Add:

If you are charged with any of these offenses your right to own a firearm will be revoked as you will be found guilty of a felony, a violent one at that.
edit on 28-9-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I don't advocate for anyone to keep improvised weapons like the ones you speak of around their house. It would be a clear sign of premeditation and intent to cause bodily harm to another. On the other hand, a bottle of bleach, ammonia, or cleaning fluid is an ordinary household item that any person fearing for their life might use against a home invader in a life or death situation. Reading up on your states self-defense laws is an excellent idea as you say. For some reason the legal system nowadays protects the criminal more than the victim.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

Indeed. All I'm saying is the suggestions being tossed around here as to how to improvise such weapons and keep them at the ready is not only irresponsible, but could constitute a crime in and of itself. It would be very ironic to be charged with criminal conspiracy for a post one made on a conspiracy site.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

That's a good point you raise. Being alert and aware of your surroundings at all times is probably the best weapon/defense you can have, period. Be careful, Be smart, and most of all Be Safe.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by visualmiscreant
One of my friends had an employee steal his dump-truck. He went to the guys house and beat him nearly to death with a serpentine belt from one of his vehicles. He was charged with a misdemeanor because the rubber belt was not considered a deadly weapon due to it's flexibility. If your area does not allow the use of a deadly weapon to protect your home, something like this might work. Setting someone on fire, or burning them with chemicals is not gonna be in your best interests in the long run. Rigid items such as baseball bats or cast-iron pipe are considered deadly weapons in most areas.

If used to defend ones life, any improvised weapon is OK, but following somebody to *their* house to be a vigilante is on another level. The guy might have a wife and children that have nothing to do with his theft and your friend could have endangered them. He probably deserved it, but once he got away, it is too late to claim "self defense".

-rrr

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Indeed. All I'm saying is the suggestions being tossed around here as to how to improvise such weapons and keep them at the ready is not only irresponsible, but could constitute a crime in and of itself. It would be very ironic to be charged with criminal conspiracy for a post one made on a conspiracy site.

LMAO! I'd love to see that one stick. It's a sad world we live in where people believe they should be prosecuted for defending against a home invasion (using any means available).

Now you're saying we can be prosecuted for discussing how to defend our homes, lol. Advocating a criminals right to come into your home, and not be harmed, ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I've been known to carry a can of Ronson lighter fluid in one jacket pocket, and a Bic lighter in the other. Hose 'em down with the flammable fluid and flick the Bic, and they won't generally hang around long enough to see whether or not you'll actually set 'em on fire. If they do hang around, well, that's THEIR mistake, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by PapaEmeritus

sock full of quarters will get the job done alright yea thats a good one. That funny tast in the back of your throat is your left ball.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Dylan201

I still like the squirt bottle of gasoline and a Bic lighter.

I have a red bandana that I hang around my neck as a last ditch weapon. I have it rolled up, like you would to tie around your head for a sweatband.... the ends have 3/4" lead balls knotted into them.

Dammit! I got scooped!

I also carried, upon occasion, a bandanna with a 1" steel ball bearing knotted into the middle of it. Very effective, but don't miss - you'll carry a big blue knot on the forearm of the wielding hand for a good long while if you do! They also don't hold up very well if you hit something a bit more solid - like a stone, block, or brick wall. It doesn't take much to beat a hole in the bandanna against the ball bearing, then the hole gets bigger, then your ball bearing suddenly goers all projectile on you.

A related gizmo is the 2 to 4 oz deep-sea fishing sinker pinned into the back of a baseball cap - it's wielded by the brim, and is, of course, your "fishing hat" if questions arise.

I also have a bola I made with 3-4 oz lead sinkers and a couple of pieces of stripped-down nylon rope, but you just can't hardly pass that off as anything BUT a bola. Works as a bola, works as a garotte, and in a pinch works like the bandana-ball nearing concept. Don't get busted with it, though, since in some jurisdictions, you'll have some 'splainin' to do...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Knife or bat.

Start getting cute with chemicals or flamethrowers and you'll be hauled in front of a judge.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I dunno, man. Oven cleaner is a pretty ubiquitous chemical in most homes, and if an intruder were to get hit by a stream of it right in the eyebrows, well, accidents happen, and he really ought not to have startled you like that...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
A simple claw hammer is quite the effective close range weapon. They are cheap, and most people already have one in the house.

A claw hammer is a very easy weapon to find turned on yourself.. both sides are dangerous so if the perp gets a hold of your wrist and overpowers you it you can say goodbye to your eyes/teeth/nose. A hammer is also quite easy to pry out of someone's hands due to it's shape and top heaviness.

Obviously it can do a lot of damage if you hit someone with it.. but if you miss you could be in a lot of trouble. It is also too easy to inadvertently kill someone with a hammer due to it's multiplication of force and small striking surface area.

If you have no better option then by all means.. but I wouldn't select it as my go to weapon around the house.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryAlien

Originally posted by projectvxn

LMAO! I'd love to see that one stick. It's a sad world we live in where people believe they should be prosecuted for defending against a home invasion (using any means available).

Now you're saying we can be prosecuted for discussing how to defend our homes, lol. Advocating a criminals right to come into your home, and not be harmed, ridiculous.

Welcome to Canada.. basically you have to let the attacker do damage to you before you are in the clear to retaliate. Then again don't use that word cuz retaliation is just as illegal as preemptive strikes.

Even if you are merely defending yourself the law assumes excessive force if you try to disable your attacker or restrain them with anything other than your bare hands. Without proper law enforcement credentials you also can not detain a person with any type of force. If you are attacked or perform a citizen's arrest you may ask the criminal to stay and that's about it. It is sad but in terms of self defense it is probably a better idea to NOT involve the police.. I don't know why the law makers here can't see that as an obvious side effect of your lack of rights to defend yourself.

And what if the person is intent on harming or killing you or your family.. he's likely going to get out of jail within 2 years anyways so now the onus is on you to move and change your life around so he can't easily come back for round 2. I can't imagine abiding by those laws.. I answer to much higher laws.. the laws of nature. Survival and protection of my children. If someone breaks into my house I will disable them. If someone breaks into my house with a lethal weapon I WILL kill them. If someone tells me it is their intent to kill my children.. I will end them before they ever get the chance. I wish the government would choose to be on my side in those circumstances but it seems I'd have to drain-o the corpse away and coca-cola their teeth. ::sigh::

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join