It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap effective last minute weapons for close quarter self defence?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
A shotgun, of course. Doesn't require great aim, and you don't even have to fire it to get your point across. Merely pointing at someone is usually sufficient to let them know you'd really prefer it if they were elsewhere...(and they'll usually be happy to oblige you!)

If you're not too hot on firearms though...yeah, get a nice, solid baseball bat to have as your "burglar greeter".

On my way to my car after work (I work downtown in my city), I carry a stun gun that is disguised as a cell phone, just in case any seedy individual wants to think I'm game. The nice thing is, I can be armed, and have it in full view, and yet my assailant still wouldn't know I'm armed (until it was too late).

At home, I usually just grab one of the quality swords off the wall (I have a lot of them hanging up, kind of a medieval motif). I have both quality swords for use, and some for decoration, so I don't use the decorative only ones for this. My usual choice is a broadsword whose weight is just as nasty as it's edge. It's like having a bat and a knife all in one.

Luckily, I've only had to use it once, and the sight of it was sufficient to make the attacker leave the vicinity, eventually (didn't want to mess with the crazy sword wielder) . Can't tell you how close I was to running that guy through though.... I'm really glad I didn't have to do that... After the adrenaline rush, that would have been difficult to deal with.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The easiest thing to swing is a framing hammer. Fiberglass handle and a 22-24 oz head. You won't be arrested for having an illegal weapon. You won't be arrested for using chemical warfare agents.

Make sure the person is actually coming in your door. Swing for the center of mass hard. You will do damage.

I also have a hatchet near my wood stove. It's small but once again it would do a lot of damage.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have guns in my house...but if I can't get to them in time,

Weapons in my house? Let's see.......

Lamps

Door

Kitchen Knives, not to mention other kitchen utensils

Sliding glass window

I'm on the third floor...good drop

Thrown Cat

I have weapons galor...
The best defense is a good offense.

I've actually used the thrown cat once to great effectiveness...though the cat wasn't pleased.

edit on 28-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I have read through every post here and on the 9th page I read if I spray Raid at someone who is harming me or my child I get prison time. I was feeling good reading through the posts till I got to that one. Yes, I have a fry pan, garden tools, Raid and even a bow. I have no money for a gun but am saving up. I like the suggestion of a bandana with weights in the ends. I am what someone would classify as a prime mugging victim, but I will do what it takes to protect my children.

The other day in a park a gang banger was shadowing me. I stopped and got my pen out and visibly carried it in my hand. He watched then turned away. Was I asking for trouble I don't know but I do know I was feeling threatened.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dylan201

A gun, an edged weapon, or a blunt object. Anything else is too complicated or dangerous.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

AuntB, there are some very cheap and reliable guns out there. Look into Kel-Tec.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
ed: thanks to the more than vague laws regarding self defence in this country however, I would actually recommend learn forms of -defensive- martial arts, the ones that move -them- from yourself and can potentially break their own arm with their strength. ie not karate. I can personally say karate is useless in any CQC situation unless you are jackie chan, and im fairly sure what he does is not karate.
Dad had a few years of Judo, as a kid, and otherwise was on a football field his whole teen-hood. His brother, who had a black belt in karate at the time, sparred with him, and my dad wiped the floor with him because he never let him get the space to move. (Remember ,no one would take it easy on "the kid", he could military press over 400 lbs.)

Originally posted by Fox Molder
All these arguments are based on the simple fact that you would call police if someone was to attack you or enter your home. "you will be charged for using an access of force" Hell.....I would NEVER call the police if someone broke in to my home. Think about it !!! You can make the son of a biotch disappear and no one would report it for a long while or even miss the crook to begin with.

I pity the fool that enters my home, he'd never be found!
There's still roads with only 1 access down here, and people have been known to disappear. Most of us constantly laugh at those in this area who dump bodies in places where they are going to be found. Makes no sense to us, when we could feed the gators or crabs. I mean it's plain common knowledge down here to have a good idea of what to do with a body.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Interesting...I was in a bad situation (that turned out ok) yesterday. Pushy door to door salesman caught me off guard outside my home. I live in a rural area and there was only the neighbor's dog (who would not leave my side) to help. The guy mentioned he was a former drug dealer from Detroit trying to make good. He told me up front how much money he needed to make. And that the product he was selling was $225 cash. No, he had no product there. I would get it later from him.

I put my back to my vehicle, my hand in my pocket where the pocket knife is, and grasped my keys.

To the posters who said your best weapon is your brain-you are correct. I engaged the guy in conversation, memorized details (to give to the cops later) and got as much info on him as I could. I was friendly and polite and refused to be scared.

All the while I am thinking how to get him dead if I needed to. I knew if there was going to be trouble, he had to be the dead one.

No gun, no lye, no bomb, no hammer can help you if you don't have it on you when you need it. I had numerous weapons just 4 feet away. But he was between me and the garage.

He left when I said I had no money, no credit card, no checkbook, nothing.

Brains and environment. And luck.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Best home defender hands down. A child or weak person could even handle it with ease.

Mossberg 500, 6 Shot, Synthetic Stock, 410 Gauge, 18 Inch Cylinder Bore Barrel, Pistol Grip Mossberg Special Purpose shotguns provide modern, state of the art design for the most serious and potentially prolonged defense situations. The Persuaders are virtual duplicates of the proven mossberg military 500 and 590 models.

This semi auto shotgun is small light and easy to wield.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Knife or bat.

Start getting cute with chemicals or flamethrowers and you'll be hauled in front of a judge.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Exactly, why would anyone in their right mind want to seriously burn someone in self defense, not to mention possibly burn their own property and possessions.

I'd suggest a heavy duty flashlight, and good knife like the SOG if you want to go stealth.

Otherwise, just get a short barreled pump shotgun with a pistol grip, and maybe attach a flashlight to it. Best bang for your buck, and you wont have to worry about getting in to close, damaging your home too bad, or accidentally killing your family or neighbors.

You can pick one up for roughly three benjamins or one swipe of the plastic at your local sporting goods store.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Your home should be a place where last minute weapons should be unecessary. An intruder won't know where anything is, use that advantage to get the heck out of there, and get help. Don't get yourself killed defending your stuff, stuff can be replaced, but only if you're alive.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Knife or bat.

Start getting cute with chemicals or flamethrowers and you'll be hauled in front of a judge.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Exactly, why would anyone in their right mind want to seriously burn someone in self defense, not to mention possibly burn their own property and possessions.

I'd suggest a heavy duty flashlight, and good knife like the SOG if you want to go stealth.

Otherwise, just get a short barreled pump shotgun with a pistol grip, and maybe attach a flashlight to it. Best bang for your buck, and you wont have to worry about getting in to close, damaging your home too bad, or accidentally killing your family or neighbors.

You can pick one up for roughly three benjamins or one swipe of the plastic at your local sporting goods store.

You might want to inform people that you need a tax stamp to legally possess a SBS.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

Thank you for the lead on these hand guns, they are certainly more affordable and have some good reviews.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

A magazine left near the bed, on the nightstand is good. A version of this is also used in prison, but the paper is made more dense by soaking it in water, and making multiple layers.

Here's a martial artists showing use of a rolled magazine. It can do some serious damage, including, but not

limited to, bone breaking, eye removal, skin ripping/tearing, blunt force trauma, concussions to the brain, jaw

dislocation, piercing the lung via breaking ribs, and it's just an everyday item that can quickly be converted into

an instrument of pain, if not death.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Get training before you carry anything. Someone mentioned kav magra (sp).

Even a handful of sand, timed right and thrown in the attackers eyes, will take down the biggest man. Like the old chinese "black eggs" filled with ground glass. Black so they couldn't be seen in your hand at night. Crush it in your palm and use timing, the most important thing, to throw the glass in the due's eyes.

Don't use anything you have to swing. Had a guy in L.A try to use a sledge hammer on me in an alley. I just kept moving forward and without him having the room to swing it he was defenseless.

I ALWAYS have a black, combination edge 3" lock blade clipped to my pocket. If I ever have to use it, and I really hope I never do, I can open it with one hand indiscreetly, hold it so the blade is NOT pointing forward and the person doesn't know I have it. Don't announce you have a weapon. Be sneaky and use timing. If it's in your palm, with the point aiming so the only thing you can do with it is poke at your opponent you're wasting your time. With the blade out the back of your hand you can cut while blocking kicks and punches and slashing back and forth. PLUS it's legal and doesn't raise suspicion with the cops. The wide combo blade, only 3" long looks more like a tool than a weapon. Which is what I use it for all the time for anyway.

Get training. That's the best. From that you'll develop strength, speed, and most important of all timing. Otherwise ANY weapon you use can be turned against you.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Anything is a weapon. I'm sure a person like you will find it to be such a new experience to be filled with so much adrenaline that you will just kill whoever is at your door in a time of crisis anyway. You and most everyone.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
A baseball bat like an alluminum bat is great for close quarters.

Kitchen knifes are great for expediant defense.

Depending where you live, I'd recommend a firearm, a mossberg Maverick 88 are generally ~200 dollars at Wal-Mart, less for a single shot shotgun.

If that's not an option, Bat or even a sword, a sword will let you touch out further.

But best defense against an assailant is always a firearm or MAYBE a high-power pellet gun or Crossbow.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2PLUS2IS22

A magazine left near the bed, on the nightstand is good. A version of this is also used in prison, but the paper is made more dense by soaking it in water, and making multiple layers.

Here's a martial artists showing use of a rolled magazine. It can do some serious damage, including, but not

limited to, bone breaking, eye removal, skin ripping/tearing, blunt force trauma, concussions to the brain, jaw

dislocation, piercing the lung via breaking ribs, and it's just an everyday item that can quickly be converted into

an instrument of pain, if not death.

No offense, but that looked a lot like pro-wrestling. The jabbing looked effective, but hitting someone with a rolled up magazine looked as affective as hitting a puppy on the nose with a newspaper for peeing in the house.

It took me 12 years to get my black belt in Karate in L.A. Good street fighters can trump all that "controlled environment" training any day.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
A baseball bat like an alluminum bat is great for close quarters.

Kitchen knifes are great for expediant defense.

Depending where you live, I'd recommend a firearm, a mossberg Maverick 88 are generally ~200 dollars at Wal-Mart, less for a single shot shotgun.

If that's not an option, Bat or even a sword, a sword will let you touch out further.

But best defense against an assailant is always a firearm or MAYBE a high-power pellet gun or Crossbow.

If you don't have the room to swing the bat it's useless unless you can jab at the assailant.

As far as swords, Kukri's have proven the most effective. Sharp, heavy blades that the sides and back can be used as weapons also. Look at what the Gurkha's can do.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I would say, cheap effective weapon of choice are my own home made arrows. All summer long I've been collecting saplings for just such purpose. I have about 200 + drying in my garage right now. Fir, Cedar, and ash. They have been there for a month with bark on and almost a month with the bark off. I will shave them down to size sand and straighten them. I have collected some lovely goose and other assorted feathers that can be split down the vane for fletching. Left feathers with left feathers, rights with rights to make them fly true. I have some tools in the garage I can make broad heads out of, plenty of old band Iron and sheet metal, besides I could probably scavenge Sheet metal from cars, spring steel, can take the pieces of the frame that can be cut up heated and hammered into shape. Copper pipe from plumbing that's close to the size of the shaft can be flattened at the tip, folded heated flattened again to form a > Then heat up the tube insert the shaft then stick it in a bucket of water and it will shrink to the shaft. If it's too big, I can fasten it by another means or heat and crimp the tube to the shaft. More complex arrow heads can be made from band iron or sheet metal.. I've even formed heads from heavy gauge steel wire. The thick stuff, not the bunch of thin wires in a plastic sheeth.

You take heavy like 4-6 gauge wire Heat it up bend it into an arrow head shape. Heat it and hammer the point thin and sharp it will widen out quite a bit and will take some practice to perfect. Heat it one last time make sure it's straight and quench. Now, you can either use the two ends of the wire so it looks like this

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join