It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspot 1302 Continues to Turn Toward Earth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Probably nothing but any thoughts on this pic, From LASCO C3

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...
Probably just some camera issues but i haven't seen one like this before?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueSkies

You have a great point there. I believe what is happening is people are running out of things to put on the news so they just put anything on there no days. These days the news has kidnapped people, murdered people, almost every hurrican and earthquake disaster and alot of other things. About 5 years ago you didnt see that stuff. The same things happened but it just want all over the news. Some one slips on a banana peel in New zealand and its on the news in America. I think alot of the things people say thats happening and getting worse its just been happening since humans have been on earth. Peopl are just apying more attention to it now days. I really do not know what to believe any more so i just do not believe anything unless i can see its a proven fact.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I imagine a couple links I have here might help with perspective. I believe this is certainly an issue to be aware of and once in a great while, the Sun lets out one mighty blast which would be...to be kind....catastrophic in ways Hollywood would have a hard time putting onto film as fiction.

1859 Carrington Event - 1st hand accounts and descriptions

A Summary of Notable Solar Flares/CMEs/Storms - 1859 - 2003

I agree a CME wouldn't hurt us, as human beings. We need our technology these days though. An extended period of weeks or even months without electricity in large areas of the 'civilized world' is impossible for me to really imagine. Hopefully, we won't have to see that in our lifetimes.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

An X 1.9 is not really that big, and M flares are even smaller.

What we should worry about are X 20+ flares that are directed at Earth.
edit on 28-9-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

I'm not sure what the cause is but it happens occasionally.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueSkies

Sunspots, solar storms, and CMEs may or may not be larger than they have been in the past, but one thing is for certain. Our reliance on an electrical grid has grown at a pace that over only a hundred year period we are totally dependent on it - Where back in 1859 we were not. Back then, the extent of our electrical grid was limited to basically... telegraph lines. Back then, a solar storm occured of a strength that if it were to happen today, we'd be in big trouble.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33190eb0d1bc.jpg[/atsimg]

This is why it's important to mind the sun's activities as our reliance on the grid continues to increase. Solar storms aren't bigger, but our vulnerabilities to them continue to grow.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Maxmars

Solar flares do not produce EMPs. The most powerful solar flare ever recorded occurred on November 4, 2003. It was an X28+. We all remember what a disaster that was.

Of course, Phage forgets to add that that solar flare WASN'T DIRECTED AT EARTH... and we were lucky in fact that it wasn't. They had to upgrade that flare to X-40+

I have to wonder why is it that Phage forgets to mention this flare from 2003 wasn't directed at Earth...

Latest Sun Flare Put at X28, Strongest on Record
By Robert Roy Britt
Senior Science Writer
posted: 05 November 2003
10:01 pm ET

Update, 7:20 A.M. ET, 06 November 2003: NOAA's Space Environment Center (SEC) has classified this flare as an X28, making it in fact the strongest ever recorded. A source told SPACE.com that the SEC is aware other scientists still think the flare was even stronger. The article below remains as it originally appeared. - RRB

[size]A flare released by the Sun on Tuesday could be the most powerful ever witnessed, a monster X-ray eruption twice as strong as anything detected since satellites were capable of spotting them starting in the mid-1970s

The strongest flares on record, in 1989 and 2001, were rated at X20. This one is at least that powerful, scientists say. But because it saturated the X-ray detector aboard NOAA's GOES satellite that monitors the Sun, a full analysis has not been done.

The satellite was blinded for 11 minutes.

Craig DeForest, a solar physicist at the Southwest Research Institute, said others in his field are discussing the possibility that Tuesdays flare was an X40.

"I'd take a stand and say it appears to be about X40 based on extrapolation of the X-ray flux into the saturated period," DeForest told SPACE.com.

That estimate may even be conservative, he said.

The flare leapt from a sunspot that is rotating off the visible face of the Sun, so its effects were not directed squarely at Earth. Nonetheless, a radio blackout occurred at many wavelengths as the storm's initial radiation arrived just minutes after the eruption. Radio blackouts are ranked from R1 to R5 by NOAA's Space Environment Center, the space counterpart to the National Weather Service.

www.space.com...

That flare didn't hit us directly, yet it still caused radio blackouts. We were lucky we dodged that bullet.

edit on 28-9-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
maybe this is it : here my new theory!: the sun spot are huge, earth could imerge into the hole very easy!, this is how sun protect its eggs(planets),perhaps now it is time to get inside the sun , the hole planet must go inside the sun(nest), this would be the only way to protect Earth by the collision ( possible) with an alien planet or space station or nemesis or Melancholia, Nibiru, elenin......maybe now it is the Time to go in another dimension in this manner.....today is the 4-th day that i am surveying the sun with my binoculars and i can not believe that i see what i see 3 huge cracks in the sun ( one in a billion years image for me).

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Our star is one amazing, beautiful, powerful sonofabitch. I love it.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Phage did not forget to mention it because solar flares, being electromagnetic radiation, are omni-directional. All flares which occur on the side of the Sun which faces Earth are Earth directed. CMEs are directional. The flare hit us directly. The CME missed us entirely. The writer of the article which ElectricUniverse linked made the error of confusing a flare with a CME.

Phage did not mention the CME because Phage was replying to a comment about solar flares.

Here is the flare:

Here is the CME which was associated with the flare:

And here is the x-ray burst which reached Earth. A burst which has been calculated to have been something greater than X28.

The ionosphere was hit by the X28 flare or else it would not have appeared on the EIT image, it would not have been received by the GOES satellites. If the CME had been Earth directed things would have gotten...interesting.

ElectricUniverse makes the mistake of confusing a solar flare with a CME. Solar flares affect radio communications. Solar flares can cause problems for satellites. Solar flares do not affect power grids.

edit on 9/28/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Man... I have watched the sun on a few sites since I am new I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the site... but I have seen a few big sunspots this year but this one looks to be the biggest I have ever seen

anyone in here.... have you seen a sunspot bigger than this one before?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

None of your sources (the scientists) say that they Believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy in 2013.

Well, apart from the ones who were quoted in the article...
But we don't have to wait until 2013. We can see with our own eyes the increase in electromagnetic energy and solar storms affecting us at present. This increase in activity was predicted by Solar physicist David Hathaway back in 2006, who believed solar maximum would come early in 2010/11.
There shouldn't be any sun spots, nor solar flares, at the moment. Back in June the big news was Coming Solar Minimum Could Chill the Earth, New Forecast Predicts - it now looks as though the sun has WOKEN up again and is indeed not in hibernation.
The big question is whether we will have an early solar max (e.g. this year) or if this is only the build up to the earlier predicted March/May 2013 solar max date, which would imply a horrendous amount of solar activity. It's almost October and normally we can already feel snow in the air here but instead I have to wear polarized sunglasses because of the blinding light (soak up that UV radiation). The sky appears to have given up on producing clouds.
For anyone here with a website or forum of their own, here's a funky little gadget I've been using for about 5 years - Add an X-ray flare and Geomagnetic storm monitor to your website! . It creates a widget on your page which keeps you constantly updated as to solar activity and geomagnetic storms (an excellent tool for paranormal investigation).

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So are you saying TrueBrit is incorrect?:

Originally posted by TrueBrit
"...Car batteries for example will probably not fare too well , and neither will things like generators (unless they happen to be a fair bit below ground, and not attatched to a shorting electrical grid)...."
Sorry, I'm trying to link to his quote, back a couple pages, but I don't know how....

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ovumcranium

This article should answer your question (and any others concerning whether or not solar storms affect the Earth and our electric grid, regardless of some people stating otherwise) - 'Controlled' power cuts likely as Sun storm threatens national grid

Now, obviously this is only an article from a major boradhseet concerning the US Space Weather Prediction Centre and the Met Office, so it can't be correct, but I think I'll pay attention to it. Call me naiive

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
What would happen if the ozone layer was destroyed?

Could a massive solar flare destroy Earth? If the flare happened on the side of the Sun directly facing the Earth, the ozone layer would be destroyed completely and a huge amount of energy would be added to the upper atmosphere causing it to expand into space. Many satellites in Low Earth Orbit would re-enter the atmosphere, and most of the other satellites would be damaged by the huge increase in radiation exposure. Astronauts working in space would be instantly killed. Airline passengers might receive as much radiation exposure in a few hours as the normally would on the surface of earth for one or more years.

Nasa says its possible but not probable.
solarb.msfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
We are getting solar storms and northern lights here....

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Maxmars

Solar flares do not produce EMPs. The most powerful solar flare ever recorded occurred on November 4, 2003. It was an X28+. We all remember what a disaster that was.

Solar flares can cause problems for communications but other than that they have no effect on Earth's surface. They can cause problems for satellites but they have no effect on Earth's surface.

spaceweather.com...

edit on 9/27/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

**note, his source is for solar flares (which are NOT coronal mass ejections) were compiled by a list that only
begun since "1976," so, "EVER RECORDED" is bit misleading to say the least.

this is a coronal mass ejection (which associated, but NOT THE SAME as a solar flare)
en.wikipedia.org...

this is the definition of a solar flare:
en.wikipedia.org...

Interesting he didn't mention The Solar Storm of 1859
en.wikipedia.org...

if you want a more detailed account on the history of solar storms and their affects, do you own research, a quick search returned this site.

it's suggested you do your own research, but you may want to start with this site

www.solarstorms.org...

November 1, 1903 - Telegraph systems of Western Union were affected from 2:00AM to afternoon. This was identified as most severe storm since 1888 according to Chief Electrician for WU. Transatlantic cables were also affected. Marconni Wireless Telegraph Company said they were not affected at all. [New York Times, November 2, 1903, p. 7]. Magnetic storm seen in France, Switzerland but not Austria, Italy or Denmark. But Swiss streetcars were disabled when power went out. Aurora seen in Ireland and Scotland. Sir Oliver Lodge and Norman Lockyer attributed the event to sunspots, which were also blamed for unusual wet weather. [New York Times, November 2, 1903 p.1]. Aurora borealis puts telegraph companies out of business [New York Times, November 1, 1903, p. 3]. Spots on the sun cause trouble: Strange phenomenon in France and Switzerland [New York Times, November 2, 1903 p.7]. Electric waves sweep the world: Mysterious pulsations of energy rain down from the North Pole. [New York Times, November 1, 1903 p.8]. Electrical disturbances due to spots on the sun [New York Times, November 8, 1903 p. A45]. Aurora borealis paralizes wires [New York Times, November 1, 1903 p. 2]

So the quoted poster is a correct only in the sense that carefully crafted wordplay (replacing solar flare, omitting coronal mass ejection) and omission of facts (his source is a record that began in the 70's, and using a scale that was not available pre-recording just as there was once no F-Scale for Tornadoes, etc)

That being said, don't believe everything that's posted unless you research it.

Don't believe what I say, research it.

GOOD POST MAXMARSS!

Shame on those who use semantics and dis-informative wordplay to stear thread investigators into not researching actual truth.

Yes, electromagnetic pulses are generated in some geomagnetic storms. Solar flares happen daily, by the second, the minute, not to be confused with a CME, and sometimes if the CME is large enough, it will cause a geomagnetic storm, which can, and has sent out pulses of electromagnetic radiation that can and has resulted
in the failure of electronics

(do not believe the above "my" statement, research it)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
must remember that sunspots are like volcanoes or relief valves, they are required to keep the planet in working and livable condition.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

I'm not sure what the cause is but it happens occasionally.

It's a Lightbringer Mothership from Andromeda decloaking, come to pick up all those loyal idiots er...I mean loyal followers. On topic, I wonder if it could be caused by a chink in the shielding. A bit of radiation gets through to the wrong spot and interferes with the picture.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nutzmctaffy

What about these? Big enough?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join