It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspot 1302 Continues to Turn Toward Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessarelli

There is nothing wrong with being prepared for any such emergency... and we do have a laundry-list of potential emergencies to choose from, but those who have a few cases of bottled water stored will likely fair much better than those who don't.

Off topic: Never denigrate yourself around here... there are those who have been known to make the genuine gesture of humility into a weapon against you.... besides I spent a stint in sales myself... and I don't feel it detracts from anyone's ability to think rationally.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Very wise, Maybe my humor is a little off. Let me apologize, but sales is my life lol i can sell used ice cubes.
But thank you for the fair warning regarding my humor i well keep it in check

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessarelli
We All better go to wall-mart and cosco to bulk up on water and whatnot lol
But it has potential to be catastrophic, i doubt it will be that severe but then again who am i besides a salesman lol

"We All better go"
very nice too see a caring person express concern for everyone.

"who am i besides a salesman"
i can see why,,
you should be a ,,
MANAGER of large groups of people,
,thats your gift,
in my own opinion,,
good luck

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Thank you, Your not the first person to say that, that made my day a little better. Your comment was appriciated

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aestheteka

The Telegraph. Don't use MSM for information, especially when it has anything to do with science. Go to the source.

The Daily Telegraph disclosed in June that senior space agency scientists believed the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013.

What was actually said was this:

"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber, and in the next few years we expect to see much higher levels of solar activity. At the same time, our technological society has developed an unprecedented sensitivity to solar storms.

science.nasa.gov...

The sun is awake, not "sometime around 2013".

"Unprecedented levels of magnetic activity" are not expected. Higher levels are expected than were occurring before the solar maximum. The article was written while there was very little solar activity.

Furthermore, the article is concerning the risk posed by CMEs, not solar flares.

edit on 9/27/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares

That definitely states solar flares....
The Telegraph is one of Britain's oldest newspapers and, as such, is an extremely effective propaganda tool. NASA wouldn't chat with them about such events unless both parties saw reason to.
You are correct, however, on the sun being already awake (some 2 years early). I like Michio Kaku and I've been following what he's been saying about solar flares and EMPs for the last several years. In fact, I gave an interview to a national magazine concerning such a possibility in January of 2010 (which they omitted and instead focused on what I'd stated about oil because their resident professor was on much safer ground to play counterpoint).
Whether it be CMEs or solar flares (you say potatoes...) even you can't continue playing the same old hand. I choose to listen to what the wise old birds of NASA, Theoretical Physics, and a respected broadsheet (not tabloid) journal say about such things, but with a handful of salt. I also observe and theorize, compare and contrast and construct my own Weltanschauung (I have the luxury of being in a position to watch the world from a somewhat objective standpoint) and there IS a correlation between the sun coughing and our lights going out.
But I suspect that you think so also as you were busy with the editing button last night, I notice....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

You entirely missed the point. NASA did not say anything about "unprecedented levels of magnetic energy" from solar flares or anything else. NASA has no way of predicting that. Yes, there could be a major CME which could produce very serious effects on Earth. It could happen next month. It could happen next year. Or it may not happen for 100 years.

The Telegraph got the science wrong. The Telegraph distorted what Richard Fischer said. I can pick the idiotic article apart even more. Solar flares do not hit the Earth with "magnetic energy" at all. They hit the Earth with electromagnetic energy; radio waves, infrared rays, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays. And that is why solar flares have no effect on the surface. The upper atmosphere absorbs that energy long before it can have any harmful effect on the surface.

The sun is not awake 2 years early. It is on schedule to reach solar maximum in mid 2013. A solar maximum which is predicted to have a below average number of sunspots.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I have been babysitting (watching) the Sun's activity for a few years....I got to say it is going crazy nuts. So yeah having some extra supplies on hand never hurt anyone. Surely you can find somewhere to store it.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The Telegraph even double checked with Dr Fischer and NASA and this is what they discovered -

Nasa's 2013 solar flare warning: how much do we need to worry?

Note the constant use of the term 'solar flare'. It might help you find it more palatable if you repeat thrice daily....
This year alone there have been conflicting official announcements concerning either an upcoming Carrington Event or a Maunder Minimum - polar opposites yet both backed by officialdom.
Yes, the sun IS waking up - it was so calm that the Maunder was predicted.

Sun Headed Into Hibernation, Solar Studies Predict

Back to your dislike of solar flares and how NASA never says anything similar, watch this (from back in 2009) -

Nasa Warns Of Super Solar Storm 2012

Current sunspot activity has been massively revised to reflect the unexpected increase -

Lots of info at this site - Sunspot Cycle Information

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
According to Digital Journal, Short wave radios are already detecting it.

Scientists are monitoring a sunspot that produced an X1.9-category solar storm that was unleashed over the weekend and could be headed towards Earth. Sunspot 1302 was so strong that it has been detected shortwave radio on this planet.

The published video presented viewers with a shadowy shock rave that moved away from the impact site. This has led scientists to believe that the blast produced a coronal mass ejection (CME) that could hurt our magnetic field this week.

Continuity Central also issued a news release for businesses. It noted NASA’s list of possible impact by space weather. It reiterated NASA’s warning that intense solar activity could cause blackouts across the globe and could last for months as engineers attempt to repair the situation.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Yes, the term solar flare is often used interchangeably with CME by the press. They are not the same thing. They have different effects.

As long as the flare myth persists, it continues to cause a major misunderstanding of the physics of solar, interplanetary and geomagnetic phenomena. After 30 years of such mistakes, it is time that we acknowledge the importance and the independent existence of CMEs and correctly identify them as the source of the dominant traveling interplanetary shocks, large SEP events, and major non-recurrent geomagnetic storms.
lheawww.gsfc.nasa.gov...

The biggest problem with an X-ray flare is that we get little warning when it is going to happen as X-rays travel at the speed of light (one of the record breaking 2003 solar flares is pictured left). X-rays from an X-class flare will reach the Earth in around eight minutes. As X-rays hit our atmosphere, they are absorbed in the outermost layer called the ionosphere.

X-ray solar flare emissions are only part of the story. If the conditions are right, a coronal mass ejection (CME) might be produced at the site of the flare (although either phenomenon can occur independently). CMEs are slower than the propagation of X-rays, but their global effects here on Earth can be more problematic.
www.universetoday.com...
Solar flares do not cause problems with power grids. CMEs can.

There is no conflict between speculation about the possiblity of a major CME and a deep solar minimun. The solar minimum addresses the number of sunspots and thus the "quantity" of solar activity, not the intensity. There is no reason an intense Flare and/or CME cannot happen during such a period.

I didn't hear Kaku say anything about a severe geomagnetic storm being expected ("Perhaps..perhaps", as I said, maybe next year, maybe not for 100 years). I also didn't hear him say anything about solar flares.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CeeRZ

Yes, region 1302 was quite active. From your link:

On Monday, NASA issued a news release that updated us on a strong X1.9-category solar storm that erupted from active region (sunspot) 1302 Saturday morning that was recorded by the space administration’s Solar Dynamics Observatory.

www.digitaljournal.com...
The CME arrived yesterday and produced a moderate geomagnetic storm. Some people got a very nice display of Northern Lights but that's about it.

It has calmed down a lot since then.

Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to remain at moderate levels on day one (27 September). Low to moderate levels are expected on day two (28 September) and predominantly low levels are expected on day three (29 September). Region 1302 remains the most active Region on the disk but has only produced one M-class event over the past 24 hours.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Did you get the Bumper Book of Bunkerism for Christmas, Phage?
You appear to be completely avoiding the official source material I have presented and instead continue to harangue the term 'solar flare' as though that were the essence of the argument.
If a respectable journal uses the term 'solar flare' after having several conversations with NASA specifically concerning 'solar flares', I'd go with the term 'solar flare'. Whether they are interchanging the acronym 'CME' with 'solar flare' I will concede to your expertise as to me, and the rest of the general public the various article were aimed at, they are synonymous terms. However, that is in no way grounding for complete rejection of the presented material, that is just pedantry

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Then maybe the problem is I don't really understand your point.

Are you saying that solar flares can cause problems with electrical infrastructure? They can't

Are you saying that "Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013"? They don't.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hopefully someone on here can answer a question regarding faraday cage.
I know electronics are effected by waves (thus thats why faraday protects those), but my question is:
Can the faraday cage protect US from waves as well? To me this is not a silly question, but quite serious, since I believe the minds (and possibly the body or nervous system ) can be effected by certain waves.

Also another question, what about protection (as best as possible) from radioactivity by the sun? This is for those unable to get deep enough underground.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are you saying that solar flares can cause problems with electrical infrastructure? They can't Are you saying that "Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013"? They don't.

Ah, I understand. You completely disregard any other material aside from whatever your source is giving you, i mean whatever sources you have declared kosher

Merely stating 'they don't' doesn't work on this occasion.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

None of your sources (the scientists) say that they Believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy in 2013.

They all say that there is a possibility that the Earth could be hit with by a damaging geomagnetic storm at some time in the future. I agree.

Not "will in 2013", not "unprecedented". I guess you don't see the difference. It's a large one. Just as is the difference between a solar flare and a CME.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

Theoretically yes.

According to Wiki

"A Faraday cage's operation depends on the fact that an external static electrical field will cause the electrical charges within the cage's conducting material to redistribute themselves so as to cancel the field's effects in the cage's interior.

Faraday cages cannot block static and slowly varying magnetic fields, such as Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree though, they also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength."

As it applies to protecting you in any meaningful way beyond that, it would require more research. I suspect it may be able to, depending on exactly what you are trying to shield yourself from.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Another question for you.. I've got these sheets of lead - found them in a shed of a property I bought. If I plunk them on top of my car battery or something, will it protect it from a strong CME? Or should I be turning it into a tinfoil hat (ha ha)(but not licking it!)

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by triplereiki

Theoretically yes.

According to Wiki

"A Faraday cage's operation depends on the fact that an external static electrical field will cause the electrical charges within the cage's conducting material to redistribute themselves so as to cancel the field's effects in the cage's interior.

Faraday cages cannot block static and slowly varying magnetic fields, such as Earth's magnetic field (a compass will still work inside). To a large degree though, they also shield the interior from external electromagnetic radiation if the conductor is thick enough and any holes are significantly smaller than the radiation's wavelength."

As it applies to protecting you in any meaningful way beyond that, it would require more research. I suspect it may be able to, depending on exactly what you are trying to shield yourself from.

look up the u tube video. Tesla Coil guy in suit or something like that,,

explains what ," too ground " means. visually.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join