It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terra Nova

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The acting stunk, for the exception of the two daughters of the main family.

Head dude from Avatar: cheesy take on an amalgam of all Clint Eastwood roles
Subversive dad: overly intense; I think I smelled his sweat over my strawberry Pop Tart extravaganza
Subversive dad's subversive son: predictable dialog I would have written in ninth grade; should have followed the girl running from the vehicle they drove into the dinosaur nest

The plot potential is huge here, however, it will be buried by the wooden acting. Definitely not investing more time in this. Pure Easycheese.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnholyBones
As for the CGI, I feel that it could be better, yet at the same time it does not
bother me one bit. The dinosaurs look great in my opinion.

The CGIs are just fine. Better then some movies I've seen. This is a TV series - - - not a multi-million dollar movie.

We have to remember this is Commerical TV - - not paid TV (with commercials).

The show has to attract and hold the attention of the demographic the commercials are targeting. Which generally is 18 to 35 year old males - - with expendable cash and willingness to spend it on new versions of old products - - or the latest gadget.

Fast paced entertainment has to come first - - science second - - and also human interest stories that usually attract women - - - - or we will be seeing another Sci Fi cancellation.

If you want real Sci Fi and science - - - go read a book - - - or just enjoy this ride for what it is.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

Here's a mini bio and credits for Stephen Lang - - - cheezy Clint Eastwood wannabe - yeah right!

A stage actor of great recognition, Stephen Lang has shaped a formidable career on and off the various stages of the United States and abroad. Broadway roles include a Tony-nominated performance as a homeless man in "The Speed of Darkness", "Happy" in the Dustin Hoffman revival of "Death of a Salesman", "Colonel Jessep" in "A Few Good Men", and a thief alongside Quentin Tarantino and Marisa Tomei in "Wait Until Dark". Off-Broadway credits include John Patrick Shanley's "Defiance", Anne Nelson's "The Guys", Arthur Miller's "Finishing the Picture" and his own play, "Beyond Glory", for which he received a Helen Hayes Award nomination. Television and film credits include celebrated performances as Babe Ruth and Stonewall Jackson in Babe Ruth (1991) (TV) and Gods and Generals (2003), respectively, as well as acclaimed performances in Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989), Tombstone (1993), Gettysburg (1993), Michael Mann's hit TV show "Crime Story" (1986) and an NBC revival of "The Fugitive" (2000), featuring Tim Daly. He has been nominated for and won numerous awards including the Grace Prize, Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, Helen Hayes, and Tony awards.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

Here's a mini bio and credits for Stephen Lang - - - cheezy Clint Eastwood wannabe - yeah right!

A stage actor of great recognition, Stephen Lang has shaped a formidable career on and off the various stages of the United States and abroad. Broadway roles include a Tony-nominated performance as a homeless man in "The Speed of Darkness", "Happy" in the Dustin Hoffman revival of "Death of a Salesman", "Colonel Jessep" in "A Few Good Men", and a thief alongside Quentin Tarantino and Marisa Tomei in "Wait Until Dark". Off-Broadway credits include John Patrick Shanley's "Defiance", Anne Nelson's "The Guys", Arthur Miller's "Finishing the Picture" and his own play, "Beyond Glory", for which he received a Helen Hayes Award nomination. Television and film credits include celebrated performances as Babe Ruth and Stonewall Jackson in Babe Ruth (1991) (TV) and Gods and Generals (2003), respectively, as well as acclaimed performances in Last Exit to Brooklyn (1989), Tombstone (1993), Gettysburg (1993), Michael Mann's hit TV show "Crime Story" (1986) and an NBC revival of "The Fugitive" (2000), featuring Tim Daly. He has been nominated for and won numerous awards including the Grace Prize, Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, Helen Hayes, and Tony awards.

www.imdb.com...

Then you go ahead and kick off his fan club. I'll even be a reference for your feckless support of his career. "Actors" who visibly grit their teeth while sneering a total of 17 times in the first 2-minute scene don't get my vote. It was poor acting. He may be an actor with many accomplishments, but I doubt even he would choose clips from this show to submit for a retrospective. The Rock would have offered more range.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
post removed...
edit on 27-9-2011 by Alpha Grey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
n/m

edit on 27-9-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well, overall, seems the comments on the plot are mostly positive, so that's good. As for CGI dinos, yeah, I mean it's TV, what do you expect? Like most sci-fi shows I like, it'll probably be around only for a season anyhow... *sigh*

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Well, overall, seems the comments on the plot are mostly positive, so that's good. As for CGI dinos, yeah, I mean it's TV, what do you expect? Like most sci-fi shows I like, it'll probably be around only for a season anyhow... *sigh*

Yep - unfortunately - because it is commercial TV - - they have to appease and keep a specific demographic entertained and tuning in.

So - we're gonna get: Action - - good guy/bad guy - - comedy - - teen interest - - relationship. And hopefully some good Sci-Fi stuff thrown in here and there.

I don't know how people can watch most stuff on TV - - its mind numbing.

I mostly watch do-it-yourself building shows. Love "Holmes on Homes". Don't give me jewelry - - give me power tools

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

As long as you recognize it as mindless escapism, I don't see the harm. Bad TV is one of my guilty pleasures. It doesn't keep me from enjoying more cultural pursuits as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

As long as you recognize it as mindless escapism, I don't see the harm. Bad TV is one of my guilty pleasures. It doesn't keep me from enjoying more cultural pursuits as well.

Depends on the Bad TV. I can't stand doofus men or whiny women.

Never seen an ep of Desperate Housewives or Kardashians. Fringe tries too hard - even though I love the characters.

I just don't understand the lack of interest in SciFi. (not horror/slasher - - but good SciFi).

I personally hope Terra Nova is a big success.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Yep - unfortunately - because it is commercial TV - - they have to appease and keep a specific demographic entertained and tuning in.

So - we're gonna get: Action - - good guy/bad guy - - comedy - - teen interest - - relationship. And hopefully some good Sci-Fi stuff thrown in here and there.

I don't know how people can watch most stuff on TV - - its mind numbing.

I mostly watch do-it-yourself building shows. Love "Holmes on Homes". Don't give me jewelry - - give me power tools

I totally agree with you. I felt like I was watching a demographically engineered formula unfolding on the screen.
If you like cop shows and hospital dramas with dinosaurs and teenyboppers thrown in, I am sure you will enjoy this.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by asdfgh
I felt like I was watching a demographically engineered formula unfolding on the screen.
If you like cop shows and hospital dramas with dinosaurs and teenyboppers thrown in, I am sure you will enjoy this.

Exactly!

And the leader is a senior citizen. Can't forget us old people.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I just got done watching it on my dvr.
It was pretty good.
So,they go back in time,but a different timeline.
They have a group that has separated from the rest with an agenda.
The leader has a son,who has gone renegade,writing strange formulas on rocks.
It's got my attention for sure.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I just watched it. I strongly dislike cliched and formulaic writing which this show is chock-full of, but I've learned over the years that it is best to give a TV show a couple of episodes before deciding whether or not you want to continue watching. It wasn't bad but it hasn't won me over yet.

I enjoyed the scenes in 2149, it looked like a really plausible world with very small living spaces, population control and issues with air quality. I also appreciate the science in Terra Nova being addressed. I have no complaints about the acting and the CGI is as good as it's going to get on a television budget, and this one has already been very expensive.

I don't understand the security system there. Just shoot at the dinosaurs? In the beginning there's talk about a dinosaur tripping an alarm, but what about the big brontosaurus dinosaurs? It doesn't matter that they're herbivores, they don't have to want to eat you to be dangerous. Elephants are small compared to them, and would you feel safe with wild elephants right outside your window?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Finally watched it and yeah, I wouldn't have any food trees within a half mile of the compound! Big dinos = carvivorous dinos that hunt them showing up!

No electrified fences? Really?

I'm intrigued enough to keep watching though, it has its good points. I didn't see where the acting was as bad as people were saying here.

I can't understand what the purpose of sending a splinter group would be though, especially since they aren't being resupplied from the future...they seem doomed to fail in whatever agenda they have.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I can't understand what the purpose of sending a splinter group would be though, especially since they aren't being resupplied from the future...they seem doomed to fail in whatever agenda they have.

But we don't know that. It is implied there are insiders - - in both timelines.

Since the main entry is at the "official" compound - - and supplies for the splinter group would have to be smuggled in. Which would mean it is not "at ready available" - - - but kind of hit and miss.

If you can smuggle a child in - - surely you can smuggle anything else in.

I don't understand the complaints about the acting either. I thought all the characters were really good.

I think some people just like to complain.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Ah, but from a storyteller point of view, there has to be an antagonist. To suspect that these guys, from the same pilgrimage, just all of a sudden decided to go rogue, is a bit of a stretch. They have to have an agenda.

My thinking is that boss man's son is trying to work out a way to connect the timelines, or make it so it isn't a one-way trip. He's obviously some kind of scientist, maybe even one of the main discoverers of the portal in the first place.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Ah, but from a storyteller point of view, there has to be an antagonist. To suspect that these guys, from the same pilgrimage, just all of a sudden decided to go rogue, is a bit of a stretch. They have to have an agenda.

My thinking is that boss man's son is trying to work out a way to connect the timelines, or make it so it isn't a one-way trip. He's obviously some kind of scientist, maybe even one of the main discoverers of the portal in the first place.

Ah yes! Lot's of hanging storylines. By design I'm sure.

And the dad said something about him being there for 18 months alone - - and he survived. Hint: his son who seems to be alone has a way to survive on his own.

You see - - they have us talking.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I would guess that because of it's big budget, Terra Nova will need to get bigger than normal numbers in order to survive. The season premiere probably underperformed in this regard since it couldn't beat ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" or CBS's dominating lineup monday night.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Yeah, a better night selection would have certainly helped. Of course, I wonder how much they consider DVR'ing. I mean, I DVR everything so I don't have to choose between one favorite or another.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join