It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Quit Smoking, Cold Turkey, Now I'm Mean.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
Most know me on ATS as a nice, balanced responder who rarely baits people, never engages in name calling, and usually takes the higher ground in conversations.

Well I went "cold turkey" yesterday and quit smoking after 15-years and now I feel like strangling someone. My posts on ATS these last two days are just plain mean and condescending.

I'm not looking for support (because currently I'm a jerk), but wanted people at a future date to refer to a thread where I can apologize and say sorry for being confrontational... this is that thread, and it's because I just quit smoking. Sorry.
edit on 27-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

Keep it up
wife and I quit for 9 months and are trying again, only way was to drop it and not pick it back up. We used the e-cig to help break the cycle and after a week and a half dropped it altogether. Now, trying it again.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hbarker

LOL. No, not back then.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
After smoking for 32 years, and many failed attempts at quitting, I finally quit regular cigarettes back in December, going on 10 months now.

I did, and still do, use the electronic cigarette. I weaned myself down to 0 nic...I still smoke it, just for the relaxation I get from the habit itself I suppose.

With in the first week of using it, I could smell again, I no longer had that smokers cough, I couldn't stand walking by someone who reeked of cigarette smell. I could not have quit with out the aid of the e-cig...I love it!

Good luck! They say if you can get past the first 3 days, the nicotine is out of your system. I never made it that far before trying the e-cig.
edit on 28-9-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
im still a nice, happy smoker
*cough-cough*

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
When I quit smoking I became extremely verbally aggressive with an elderly woman at the post office who *thought* I hit her car door with mine. lol

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

i recommend e-gigs

i tried apollo brand (the extreme starter kit) and it works great. I have no affiliation with them, and it is the only product i've tried. but you can feel the "smoke" in your throat and you get the nicotine as well as the hand to mouth addiction thing

the best part is now i can "smoke" in restaurants, my house, friends houses, work etc etc.

cheaper than smoking too !!!!

(i'm puffing on one right now in bed !!! no chance of a fire either

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I wish you luck - I hope you have the willpower for it - I wouldn't, couldn't, never will even try to quit

I'm just glad that neither of my kids are smokers. Even when they're convinced that MY smoking, keeps everything copacetic

Probably because they've seen me go through withdrawl. Its not pretty.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I've tried to quit several times bit for the sake of my girlfriend and her child I always start. I become a completely different person when I try. I guess I should try again I'm sure they would rather deal with me being Satan for three weeks than have me die of cancer.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Congratulations on quitting. Wish i could just quit that easily. I am mean with out quitting so i might go crazy if i just quit cold turkey.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by iSHRED
im still a nice, happy smoker
*cough-cough*

You forgot about the "who stinks" part.

You have no idea how you smell to others until you quit.
But, as long as you are happy.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It's day 3 guys. I still haven't smoked and as I've read the comments, e-cigarettes are not for me, I don't want any nicotine in my system - that's no a judgment on you, it's my path as I've tried quitting twice before with patches and gum. I just screamed at my girlfriend for coming into my office a minute ago because she want to talk bills and I was about to log-on here; we fought all last night before an event we attended as I tried to go to the store to buy a pack and she stopped me (it didn't get physical or anything but I said stupid stuff). I almost throw the cat out the window when it scratched me by mistake, and I feel like I'm going to explode. There's no bright side yet... my anxiety is threw the roof. Here's one good thing, at last nights event, after I stop sulking, I thought at least the people sitting near me don't think I smell like smoke....I hate this....

ETA - I should add this, my girlfriend and family have given me a pass to be a jerk to beat this habit - she's fine with it as long as the end result is no more smoking. My fear is I stay a jerk forever now...
edit on 28-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

that's funny, you wrote that as i was writing my post... my first time in public last night (i work from home), and that was the only thing i thought was good news so far

edit on 28-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I remember going to my closet a few days after quitting and pulling something out and being able to smell the smoke on my own clothes! That really made a lasting impression.

Good on you for your success at this. It will definitely be worth the temporary difficulties -- and they are temporary.
I quit smoking for good over 20 years ago. Now its the booze that I am working on. Its been about 4 months and so far so good. Believe it or not, the booze thing has affected my personality more than cigarettes. I almost feel like the guy I used to be way back before I started any of these.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno
reply to post by Jason88

I remember going to my closet a few days after quitting and pulling something out and being able to smell the smoke on my own clothes! That really made a lasting impression.

Good on you for your success at this. It will definitely be worth the temporary difficulties -- and they are temporary.
I quit smoking for good over 20 years ago. Now its the booze that I am working on. Its been about 4 months and so far so good. Believe it or not, the booze thing has affected my personality more than cigarettes. I almost feel like the guy I used to be way back before I started any of these.

Thanks, Wayno. Good luck with the booze, 4 months is good! I'm sure you can do it if you kicked this habit and get back to who you once were.

I'm on day 4 of cold turkey method, and wow! Today was pretty good, no crazy anxiety feelings or weird lashing out at loved ones... granted I've been going to bed earlier this whole week as I've been really tired but I think that's me, breaking the addiction. Anyways, I'm not a jerk today so that's an improvement. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but 3 days were really, really hard, but today was a breeze compared to other days.

ETA: I still want a cigarette badly. But the different is I can think about other things today.
edit on 29-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It's been a week. I've smoked a few times this past weekend but not Sunday or today. I'm craving a cigarette now, but will not have one. Going from a pack a day to 5 cigarettes this weekend after a week is ok, I think. I could be justifying this as I'm too close to it to know, but none today, none yesterday, and none tomorrow. That's is all. And I'm not mean today.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Im a social smoker which means I smoke when I drink and that is it.

I havent had a cigarette in a week. It's weird cause I don't even like them, if I smoke one when Im not drinking they taste nasty and I take a couple puffs and put it out, BUT when I drink I chain smoke. I don't get it. It's like alcohol and cigs go together.

My friend when she quit smoking bought a bag of lollipops, dum dums, and whenever she had a craving for a cigarette she popped one in her mouth. She smoked a pack and a half a day and now she doesn't smoke at all.

Good luck!! I am sure you will be fine

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by summer5

posted on 27-9-2011 @ 04:36 PM

I quit, cold turkey, 10 months ago (Nov 17) after 54 years of smoking and never used a crutch of any sort.

I had aspirated a small chunk of carrot and developed a lung infection. The cough was bad and when the Dr. said 'lung infection", I thought "Stop Smoking" and did.

I sense there was some special 'intervention' between the Doctor's words and my thoughts, a nanosecond that sealed the deal. I cannot even describe that nanosecond!

Good Luck all!
-----------------------/

Well good for you,too!

(It seems that we were the only two who had actually quit smoking, and no one said "Boo"to either of us).

This whole thread turned into a contest as to who could be the most arrogant and a**-hole still smoker of the bunch.

More's the Pity!

[
edit on 4-10-2011 by canadiansenior70 because: sure messed upthe quote

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join