It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

banned for talking about "challenged" book list on the other (G7P) site

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
if this in the wrong place please let me know or move it....

I am just blown away. I was responding to someone else s post regarding ALA's challenged book list released today when a screen pop'ed up and told me I was banned for an abusive post.

I guess all the forum's are infiltrated now. anyway. I guess that's alright, cause I like it here better any way. It seems to me that there were more posters there, but much more unreliable i guess.... they let all doomtards post anything they like and suposition, but actually talking about something real, and oops your banned.... well pooh on you I say

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Uh-what website are you talking about? And can you explain what a "challenged book list" is? Your thread is pretty vague and confusing......

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
the other site is GODlikeproductions....

the challenged book list is the ALA (american librariy Ass.) Banned book list. Books the TPTB dont want you to read for what ever reason..... not really a banned book list since these books are still available today, but they are books that are frowned upon by some religious organizations, and priviate schools, military schools, most of the books on this list deal with revolution. 1984 is on there, brave new world, etc..

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Skippy1138

Google is your friend.

I think he is referring to this , the American Library Association Banned Book List....

www.ala.org...

PEACE

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
no book is banned in america.

you can legally get any book if not in store then online.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Not at every store. When I was a teenager I worked at BarnesandNoble, if a banned book is ordered, it is flagged. And if it is sent to the store, the manager will refuse to sell it.
edit on 27-9-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
wow over 1000 in public libraries?!? It's a public library as in all information should be there.Did you see Of Mice and Men was on the list I think it was 2001. How pathetic! I know that they can't ban the books here in the good ole U.S.A., at least not yet. It is crazy that so many people try to keep others from ideas other than there own. I think I'm going to have to go read all the books on this list. I love to read!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by hope4better

jason lucas wants your money. if you become a paid member he'll let you back.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
They keep silly topics like "I'm a crusader that time traveled from 1332, ask me a question" But if someone opens anything more investigative it gets closed and the user banned.

You can't question anything and there's no real debate other than yes men posting their dribble.
In any case it stays an interesting site cause their news posts seem to be fast and usually faster than ATS...

If we can change that GLP can kiss my IP goodbye

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee

Not at every store. When I was a teenager I worked at BarnesandNoble, if a banned book is ordered, it is flagged. And if it is sent to the store, the manager will refuse to sell it.
edit on 27-9-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

Where does it say every store?
It says if you can't get a book in store, then online you can.
There is no banned book that you could be arrested for reading
edit on 27-9-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Easy. I'm just saying you generally can't get those books outside the internet. I'm not challenging you or anything.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by hope4better
if this in the wrong place please let me know or move it....

I am just blown away. I was responding to someone else s post regarding ALA's challenged book list released today when a screen pop'ed up and told me I was banned for an abusive post.

I guess all the forum's are infiltrated now. anyway. I guess that's alright, cause I like it here better any way. It seems to me that there were more posters there, but much more unreliable i guess.... they let all doomtards post anything they like and suposition, but actually talking about something real, and oops your banned.... well pooh on you I say

" ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom records hundreds of attempts by individuals and groups to have books removed from libraries shelves and from classrooms."
www.ala.org...

Just to be clear this is only a list of books that individuals have tried to ban from libraries and classrooms...it's not a list of books that are actually banned by the ALA, or that are universally banned by anyone...As you yourself said you were posting to someones post already talking about this, which means that since it was already a subject of discussion you were not banned for talking about it....You were probably banned for the reason they claim....You made an abusive post.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Challenged, although not necessarily Banned:

1. The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
3. The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
4. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
5. The Color Purple, by Alice Walker
6. Ulysses, by James Joyce
7. Beloved, by Toni Morrison
8. The Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
9. 1984, by George Orwell

11. Lolita, by Vladmir Nabokov
12. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck

15. Catch-22, by Joseph Heller
16. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
17. Animal Farm, by George Orwell
18. The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemingway
19. As I Lay Dying, by William Faulkner
20. A Farewell to Arms, by Ernest Hemingway

23. Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
24. Invisible Man, by Ralph Ellison
25. Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison
26. Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
27. Native Son, by Richard Wright
28. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey
29. Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
30. For Whom the Bell Tolls, by Ernest Hemingway

33. The Call of the Wild, by Jack London

36. Go Tell it on the Mountain, by James Baldwin

38. All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren

40. The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

45. The Jungle, by Upton Sinclair

48. Lady Chatterley's Lover, by D.H. Lawrence
49. A Clockwork Orange, by Anthony Burgess
50. The Awakening, by Kate Chopin

53. In Cold Blood, by Truman Capote

55. The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie

57. Sophie's Choice, by William Styron

64. Sons and Lovers, by D.H. Lawrence

66. Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
67. A Separate Peace, by John Knowles

73. Naked Lunch, by William S. Burroughs
74. Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh
75. Women in Love, by D.H. Lawrence

80. The Naked and the Dead, by Norman Mailer

84. Tropic of Cancer, by Henry Miller

88. An American Tragedy, by Theodore Dreiser

97. Rabbit, Run, by John Updike

Okay, this is a weird list. Are you sure that you live in a free country? At least 3 of these were burned in Germany - 1933..

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hmm....
48. Harry Potter (series), by J.K. Rowling

Challenged, really? Looks more like seeking free media attention.
edit on 27-9-2011 by stainlesssteelrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The ALA or American Library Association is not the individuals that "challenge" or ban books. The ALA fights for the books to not be removed from the shelves. The banned book list is complied from the books that have been challenged by various groups and parents in schools across the country. All of the books can found in your library, sometimes they do keep certain books behind the counter and you must ask for them...this keeps the books from being stolen or from chidren without a parent present.

There are indeed some books that are not necessarily for children but they are available if a parent wants to check iot out for them. As for a book store not saleing a book that is on the list...that must have been that manager as I have never had a problem locating any of the books on the list and purchasing them through B & N or anyother book store, Yes you may have to special order it but no problems...they just may not stock it.

Here is the verbage from the ALA web site you provided the link too that shows they do not ban books or even challenge books....

"The ALA promotes the freedom to choose or the freedom to express one's opinions even if that opinion might be considered unorthodox or unpopular and stresses the importance of ensuring the availability of those viewpoints to all who wish to read them."

edit on 9/27/2011 by DJMSN because: to fix ex text quote

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stainlesssteelrat

A lot of religious nuts say that Harry Potter is the work of the devil because they use magic. I've even seen news reports of them protesting at movie and book releases.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
A lot of religious nuts say that Harry Potter is the work of the devil because they use magic.

Yeah, and 'everybody' loves Harry Potter, so if some religious nut gonna say he propagates evil forces yappityappa, he will bring some attention to himself. Especially in US, where people get media coverage for seeing face of Virgin Mary on a buttered toast or Jesus on slip from grocery store. And it's being treated seriously, even NOBODY knows how they look like.

I've even seen news reports of them protesting at movie and book releases.

Quod erad demonstrandum.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
12. Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck

I studied this book and watched the film in secondary school, how / why the smeg is it on this list? Is there any place that notes the reasons these books are challenged?

Edit: Never mind, found it:

Reasons

To me, it looks like a lot of whining; nothing in the book was out of context for its setting.
edit on 27/9/11 by Peteos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
A LOT of good books on that list. A little bit of modification and it should be a Required reading list.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

You're talking through your hat.

Plants of the Gods, just try get in in the states. The Feds will be there before you've finished ordering it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join