It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any motorcycle riders out there??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I'm looking into getting a bike. I've never ridden a motorcycle, but with gas prices they way they are I think a bike is a good investment.

I plan on taking some bike riding/awareness classes before buying a bike. I'm just wondering about opinions for a first timer. My wife will not allow me to get a crotch rocket...it has to be Harley or comparable or nothing at all.

I'm looking at a Harley Superlow or the Iron 883. They are in a good price range for me and the reviews I've read say they are decent beginner bikes. I really like the Harley 48 too.

So all you bike riders out there, let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

My advice would be toward Jap engineering, is the best in the world, if you like the look of harley style bikes then take a look at the valkyrie by honda. incredibally well balanced, almost stands up on its own.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I wish I'd chosen bikes over cars when I was younger - I don't drive anymore, too pricey and too many louts. I'd honestly preferred a bike for sure.

But I'd go a trumpy every time. My old man swore by the Triumph, I can only echo that sentiment.

I laugh when I watched Sons of Anarchy in the first season, those shonky bikes.. lol

lmao, edit to add, this is one unique bike, and no.. not what I was talking about, but wooo.. what a beast!

edit on 27/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

taking a course is very wise. learn to drive safely. spend plenty of time practicing before you go on road. drive fully equipped: boots, reinforced gloves, leather jacket, full-wrap helmet fitted/chosen with care and strapped properly, with good sunglasses. white is most noticed by other drivers but most riders prefer colorful helmets.

a motorcycle is only an investment if you are buying a vintage bike, a racing bike of pedigree or a specialty bike (limited production etcetera) that you are not going to drive, but are going to re-sell later for profit.

you would be wise to start with a well maintained used bike in the 350 - 550cc range to start with. why spend a bundle on something you might not like? and buying more bike than you can handle can get you into trouble.

crotch rocket wife: is she driving it or are you driving it? all bikes are dangerous. all of them. it's not a question of going down, it's a question of when you'll go down. sooner or later, everyone puts it down.

while the crotch rocket bikes often are very fast and powerful, it is not always so. there are plenty that have the look that are still acceptable for beginners.

when riding, pretend you are invisible. in other words, no one can see you so anyone can hit you. it is your responsibility to be aware of what is around you at all times.

i know many will scoff at this, but if i didn't feel it i wouldn't say it. if you have children, don't get a bike. the reason is obvious. maybe i'm overly cautious but i feel common sense should prevail.

good luck to you

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

If you've never ridden a motorbike before, the first essential step is to participate in an accredited motorcycle rider training course.

Apart from gathering riding skills and life preserving knowledge and awareness, it will more than likely expose you to a variety of different makes, models and engine sized bikes that will help you in your decision making process.

If it has to be a Harley, the sportster family of HD bikes (as you've mentioned), offer a great variety of well balanced, predictably behaving and beginner friendly bikes.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I got two honda bikes I could not afford HD they are good and still fun to ride ones a 72 automatic every one trys to buy it off me the other one is newer. But when you go to buy one test it out and get the one your most comfortable on cause once you start riding you will not want to stop.

eta I see people saying between 350 and 550 I started on a 650 they are close but I would not start out with anything smaller than a 400 for safety and being able to get out of the way when you need to
edit on 27-9-2011 by jonco6 because: +

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Got a Triumph Speedmaster myself. My advice to you is buy a cheep second hand bike of 125cc and ride it around for a year so that you learn to ride on something less likely to cause you trouble. Go for something bigger after that, 600cc bikes like the Honda CBF have a good power to weight ratio and are a safer ride that a HD. Having said that the 883's are great as long as you put a decent petrol tank on them so that you can actually go somewhere, Triumph Bonnevilles are great, owned a Honda Shadow once and it was a work of art. Moto Guzzi make good bikes now except the California, look at a Breva. Solid bags and a petrol gauge are really useful, I know I haven't got them! One more thing and the most important: modern big bikes are often no more economical than cars, my bike eats petrol like my Father's Ford Focus. 125cc bikes run on nothing, the bigger the engine the thirstier they are and you don't really gain much practically from the extra power, mines 865cc and plenty big enough for anything. 600cc is a good balance.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by lammypie999
reply to post by iNkGeEk

My advice would be toward Jap engineering, is the best in the world, if you like the look of harley style bikes then take a look at the valkyrie by honda. incredibally well balanced, almost stands up on its own.

lol, i was going to add something along this line as well. HD are terribly over-rated, and they ceased being a very American bike long ago. check them over, components from Asia. there is a buttload of HD looking bikes from all the popular import bike manufacturers, many of them very good value. plus you don't get the HD factory mandatory oil leak.

the very old real HD's are a nice thing to look at. but the real classics are now incredibly over-priced if you find one for sale, and the oldies are real rump-busters to ride.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Was thinking about getting a Yamaha Yzf-R1 or a CBR 600rr a year ago but after much debate and pressure from everyone I know telling me it would only be a couple of months before I died, I decided to stay away and beside I would hate to ride in the cold of the morning or in rain when everyone else is comfortable in their automobiles.

I lost one of my close friends to a motorcycle crash a couple of years ago...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
In the Netherlands it's actually obligated to take lessons and pass the exam before you get to drive a motorcycle. I just passed my exam last friday and i totally agree with everything Largefries says. Especially the part where you MUST realise that car drivers most of the time don't see you.

Thats why lessons are so important, it makes you realise possible and hidden dangers that can confront you while on a bike. I won't get into details but im sure your instructor will. Also the point about protective gear is a really good advise. Always wear full protection even if it's hot. I see people drive around in tshirts or less but if they even fall once, they are done for.. If they survive, their skin will be peeled off to the bone. So protective gear helps to prevent that. I got a link in dutch with some pictures of colorfull motorcycle gear to give you an idea what could be a good hint what to buy: Protective motorcycle gear.

Also another good advise my instructor always gave me: If you got alot on your mind, don't take the bike that day. It will cause a distraction and you need to be on top of your game when on a bike.

In other words to summerize all above and yet to come: Drive safe, defensive and keep in mind that you have to be ready for everything to protect yourself. Safety for yourself is priority number one when in traffic.

About motorcycles i haven't had alot of experience so far, but you should indeed start with a "light" type of bike, so you won't underestimate it's power and in time get to learn/upgrade it's potentials if you want a stronger bike.

I myself am gonna start with a medium class bike (500cc?) to gain experience (also took lessons with the same class of bike) and perhaps later if i want to upgrade it to the 1000cc range.
Besides the power and speed it will also depend on what you prefer and feel comfortable driving and offcourse it's use. If you goto work with it everyday all year long, then you would prefer a diffrent type of bike then if it's just for sunny weather during summer..

Best of luck and most importantly, drive/stay safe!

my 2cents
edit on 27-9-2011 by Elexio because: typo

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
You guys are awesome!! You all have given me much to think about, and I really appreciate all of the advice. The wife is still on the fence about letting me proceed (Cthulhu knows she's the boss! lol).

If I am allowed to get a bike, it won't be until this Spring. So there is plenty of time to look at everything.

Again, thanks guys!!!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
In northern Ireland we can only ride a 125 until you've passed
Your test, then it's a two fifty for a year, bit annoying but
Probably a lot safer than jumpin on something with too much
Power. I'd recommend Suzuki or Kawasaki, maybe a 400 or so til
You get your bearings, jap bikes have far superior handling and
Reliability, although harleys sound better than anything.
I wouldn be without my bikes but remember they are dangerous
And you do need the right gear and a lot of common sense,
Ride (half) sensibly and have fun whatever you end up gettin

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I have never driven a motorcycle, but I build motorbycycles. They are cheap, easy to build, and a great way to save money.

Mine uses a gallon of gas a month, ya just gotta get used to smelling two-stroker.

That one is the first I built, I am making my 4th now. They go about 30-35 mph, and get over a hundred miles to the gallon.

And living in Texas, I haven't had to get a motorcycle license or insurance yet.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Harleys are nice to look at but they don't handle that well. Especially for a beginner.

SImply look at the Harley Riders Training course....and they use Buells for the beginners training.

The engines in the Sportsters are very tall and with the fuel tank on top of that , it raises the center of gravity.

You want the center of gravity as low as possible. That's why BMW uses the Boxer engine for example.

Simply go sit on some bikes in the showroom, lifting it off of the stand and rock back and forth slightly, room permitting.

You'll feel and notice the difference in center of gravity and the bikes weight immediately.

But regardless take the State Motorcycle Safety Course, it's inexpensive and you can always find a slot.

I'd recommend doing this now during the cool and dry temps of fall vs the spring/summer when it gets god awfully hot standing around in a parking lot baking in the sun !!

The training will also help you become a better defensive driver as well....

Good Luck !

PEACE

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
My husband has 2 motorcycles. One dirt and one street.

I can't advise you on which motorcycle to get, but, as a motorcycle wife, I can second the advice you've already gotten about taking a safe driving course, pretend you are invisible on the road, get flashing break lights and other visibility gear (orange vest, reflectors) and WEAR GEAR!!! That's the most important thing, IMO. My husband is an ATGAT rider. All The Gear, All the Time. He likes Joe Rocket

I know that if he wrecks or someone hits him, he has a MUCH better chance of survival than someone who is wearing cutoffs, a T-shirt and no helmet. Gear is KEY to the wife's mind being more at ease.
If she knows how careful you are, she'll feel better. And the gear is pretty sexy, if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

I have been riding and racing bikes since I was nine years old.

The Harley is to big, sluggish and heavy to be safe. If you stay out of the throttle the crotch rocket is much, much safer.

I recommend getting a dirtbike first and go crash it a lot in the fields and woods before mixing it up with cages (cars/trucks) so you at least know what it feels like when you are about to lose control and how to ride without thinking about it.

For the road the best bike to learn on is the Kawasaki Ninja 250. That is the best advice you are going to get anywhere, ignore it at your own possible peril.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

I've been a rider for 30+ years, currently on a Harley. I started on a Suzuki. A friend rode Harleys for many years, recently changed to a Honda Gold Wing, and loves it. Point being - tastes vary, follow yours.

Regardless of what you ride, I urge you to consider taking a motorcycle safety course. Seriously. I rode for ~30,000 miles before taking a riding course. I arrogantly thought I knew it all after so many miles, and I was blown away at what I learned taking the safety course. I knew nothing about riding before doing the course. Your car driving skills will improve, too.

Now I ride like every four wheeler on the road is driven by a blind homicidal maniac driving under the influence who knows there is a one million dollar bounty on my head. I find this attitude a useful mental context for paying attention...

Welcome to the tribe! May the wind be always at your back, may you always be wheels down, and may the larger bugs always miss hitting you.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Not much of anything that I can add other than to agree with the others, get the training and start out small and work up over time. I've been riding since 1963 and on anything from 50cc to the super bikes and licensed in multiple countries. Situational awareness is a must at all times and never ride without proper gear.

I guess I'm rather lucky, my wife wants me to get a Busa. She loves the super bikes as much as I do.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
A cheap, good MPG car will be cheaper overall than a motorcycle.

If you want to even have a chance then consider something cheap with GOOD mpg's like a KLR650. Even better, a scooter.

A Harley isn't going to save you anything.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I ride a Ninja 250. I pay $99 a month for the bike note and full coverage insurance with medical rider is $26 a month. A full tank of gas costs me $19 and currently lasts me three months on my commute.

An oil change costs $14.
A change of tires will be about $100.

The Ninja 250 IS CHEAPER than a car IF you do your own maintenance. Any thing else; probably not.

Good luck and ride safe.

top topics

join