It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LIDAR, Aerial Geodesics, IR maps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Apologies if this has already been posted/requested but I am looking for IR or LIDAR maps of the world. I have looked at various hacks and plug-ins for Google Earth but they all appear to either focus on weather systems or are very limited in scope.
Does anyone know of a complete world imaging map which focuses on ground level IR or geodesic-type information? Freeware, of course

Preferably focusing on Europe....
My interest is purely archeological, nothing nefarious.
edit on 27-9-2011 by Aestheteka because: more info

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I would love to have access to this kind of imaging. They probably have super-finely-detailed maps of every inch of most of the oceans, as there's no way they haven't been using it from satellites.

Is LIDAR capabale of imaging the entire oil slick? Why haven't we seen it?

I know it can image solids very well, and can work on a gigantic scale, but I don't know how well or if it would pick up the oil throughout the water or not, and most likely not the gas (maybe?) , but it seems like it would, and it'd be a huge benefit for everyone to get a good idea of what this mess actually looks like.

And you can't say it'd cost too much to fly some planes or helicopters back and forth over the gulf scanning with technology we're already relatively familiar with...

"LIDAR: Light Detection And Ranging

-scanning infra-red laser
Laser reflections are detected at 100,000 measurements per second

...Laser reflection points, IMU and GPS data are combined, giving a point cloud with better than 5cm accuracy "

I'm also super curious about how far advanced our ground-penetrating imaging is nowadays. I wonder how many of the people who have access to this stuff are some kind of "treasure hunters," and how many "new" discoveries have been known about/suspected by these people.
edit on 27-9-2011 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

There must be some data available for us lowly peons....
My area has seen countless invasions over the centuries but I can't use a metal detector due to the amount of UXBs lying around - i need geodesics from before the last two wars

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
IR Satellite Mapping enabled archaeologists to discover seemingly countless tracts of ancient streets, homes, tombs, temples, etc. in Egypt recently. I remember reading this when it was published a few months ago and I'm glad I could find it again. In a way, this is probably big enough that it needs its own thread, but it's a little dated so I suppose this is appropriate enough. The implications of this are staggering. I don't think anyone can actually imagine how much history could change when these structures are unearthed.

Seventeen lost pyramids are among the buildings identified in a new satellite survey of Egypt. More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also revealed by looking at infra-red images which show up underground buildings.

Source: BBC

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Resonant

that's why i want it....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
ok so would it not be nice too know
conclusivelly,,
that shlumman?did/did not?
find Troy?
cause pretty sure they could "flip" layers of History,,

of course it might mean also
that todays geological time sequence,,
as accepted fact,, in todays society,,
(well by us Peons anyway,,,no need too know,, basis),

is a load of utter rubbish,,
and then some.

edit on 27-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka

that's why i want it....

I thought so

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Have you tried analyzing area photography?
i've taken a Google Earth image of a field. Problem is that i can't tell if the faint circles are round house remains or bomb craters (it was the front twice last century). The area has a lot of history (there are castles everywhere) and something tlls me this might be an old settlement.
Ideally, I need an IR image.

new topics

top topics

join