It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiohead: Brilliant music, idiotic opinions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I just watched Radiohead on Colbert Report giving both performances and interviews. First off, I'm a genuine Radiohead and Thom Yorke fanatic and have been since I was young. They've done so much to shape my tastes and appreciation of music, I really can't explain it.

Having said that...

Thom Yorke's a complete moron when it comes to social issues. I've been aware of his feelings concerning global warming, and yes, he's pretty much just a liberal, but I had never really heard his responses (or lack thereof) when asked about these issues and more.. (In case you're wondering, I am not a "republican", I'm also not a "democrat". I'm just an independent seeker of truth)

First Colbert, being the satirically hilarious character that he plays on the show, asks the band "So what's so bad about corporations?? They create jobs". Thom, speaking on behalf of the band, seriously couldn't think of anything to say. It was actually kind of awkward. I had already thought of several good points he could have made by the time he finally muttered out something about how the money just keeps going up the ladder or something. True, of course, but he could have said so many other things with actual substance that people could walk away with, as opposed to some vague bumper-sticker type of catch phrase.

Then later on, they do a whole spot on global warming, which I figured was going to happen, and was kind of dreading.. Sure enough, Thom (during the few times he had a thought enough to speak) sounded like an idiot. Some of you may disagree, and that's fine. He and Ed (O'Brien, guitarist) talked about how hot Texas' summer was, how Bangladesh was getting wetter (?), and how people in America aren't caring as much as they used to because oil companies are paying disinfo agents to brainwash them..

If you reading this have done any sort of similar research on global warming as I have, you'll understand why this all pissed me off. They always talk about the hot summers, failing to mention the record-cold and snow winters that preceded them. Why do people fail to connect the dots between the suns erratic behavior and the extreme weather? Having to change the name from global warming to climate change should have been the first tip. As for oil companies and disinfo agents, yes I've seen evidence of lobbying and what not, so I'm sure some oil companies are investing in the short-term so they can capitalize on what they know best. But trust me, they know (at least the companies with representatives at Bilderberg) they can't beat an elitist agenda this big, so you can bet they're as invested in green energy as Gal Whore himself.

The thing that pissed me off the most was that Thom was implying that it was some big conspiracy, the evidence against global warming. The had the same tone and frustration in his voice as I do when I'm explaining truth to people. But he doesn't realize he's on the wrong end of the conspiracy. And really, it doesn't take all that much research to find it out.

Whatever.. I understand that he's busy writing songs, and most iconic musicians are pretty politically challenged, but I just figured he'd have a little more substance to him, even if its inaccurate substance. If you're going to portray yourself as this politically conscious icon, at least have something real to say.

Or realize that even if everything is warming (and/or cooling?), it doesn't mean you know what's causing it. If you haven't considered the sun then you're just a moron. But if you have and still aren't sure, then just say you're not sure

At least it hasn't ruined my appreciation of Radiohead. That would be tragic. They're still incredible

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
What a creep.

Without big corporations, where would he get his Fake Plastic Trees?
edit on 27/9/2011 by outsidethesquare because: sp

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
The thing about global warming or cooling is that it happens anyway, whether we are here contributing to it or not.
We had ice ages in the past which indicates that it must have been warmer prior to that ice age. What followed that ice age was global warming and we were not here to blame for it at that time.
Sure we may contribute to it but whatever causes it is probably a lot bigger than us. If we cut down on the gases that contribute to it then maybe we can slow it down but we can't stop that natural cycle from happening altogether, whatever the cause.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If you dont own a corporation or are extremely rich and you don't understand that this USA is a corporatocracy and is eating you alive. If you still think this is about liberal vs conservative, I'm afraid there isn't much to do for you.

P.S. Guess why the corporations spend millions to make you believe it isn't an issue. Just guess.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
If you dont own a corporation or are extremely rich and you don't understand that this USA is a corporatocracy and is eating you alive. If you still think this is about liberal vs conservative, I'm afraid there isn't much to do for you.

P.S. Guess why the corporations spend millions to make you believe it isn't an issue. Just guess.

If you're implying that I don't understand that corporations run this country or that I think this is about liberal vs. conservative, then I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I am well aware of the reality that corporations have more or less done this country in, and show no signs of letting up any time soon. And I do not buy into the two party system whatsoever. It's a farce and a ploy to keep us arguing back and forth while the real powers carry out their agendas more or less unnoticed, even by those voting on them.

In fact it's because I'm so passionate about the evils of corporations that I posted this at all. It angers me to see people get the chance to talk and inform others about it on a national platform, but have nothing really to say. I'm not so easily impressed solely by the notion of.. "oh, radiohead say they hate corporations, cool!"

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
maybe you should do a silly amount of interviews which have silly questions then judge this answers. thats what thom yorke super fans will maybe say, but i myself say its true he could have said alot more, but lets just take his lyrics with us away to be used for postive things. i'd rather look into his music lyrics.

"With your opinion which is of no consequence at all"

top topics

join