It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bake sale's racial pricing rocks UC Berkeley campus

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

The individual was a male 19 or 20 years old. He was in his truck and stopped and asked me what I was looking at ?, this caught me off guard. I asked him what do you mean ? He said to me my kind need not look in his direction. My co-worker who is white, stepped in and and defended me by telling him to leave and not to talk to me in that manner. As he left he yelled out " You fing N-word". It upset me but I just moved on. The next day the same individual came back called me monkey, the N-word the whole 9. He told me blacks need not be in America and I needed to go back to Africa. I said to him "I bet thats not what your girl thinks" This put him in complete rage!, he got out of his car walked towards me and I stood my ground firmly and looked him in the eye with no fear. He ended up getting back in his truck, telling me he would be back to kill me. Because I was at work I called the police, they came I gave a description of the individual and his truck, the police FOUND him. They came back to my work place and said he wouldn't come back up here and harass me. I immediately told my boss what happened and she was furious that nothing more happened. I ended up having a meeting with my boss, the police chief and other "important" people and charges ended up being filed and the guy wrote me a letter apologizing. Once again I thought in my head if I didnt have the job I have that guy would have got off scotch clean. It made me think if I did the same thing and they FOUND me after I threatened a persons life who was working, I surely would have been arrested.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
White on black racism does exist, I can surely admit that. But make no mistake, affirmative action makes problems worse, and is a racist policy in itself. Heck, how can you explain to a white racist why is it wrong to treat blacks as inferior, when he is treated as inferior due to his skin color, courtesy of affirmative action racism? Not to mention that in a college with affirmative action policy, all the people of color will be looked down upon as those that possibly are there only due to their skin color.

The only way for racism to disappear is to stick to strictly colorblind policies, punish ANY racist policy harshly, and wait for older more racist generation to die out.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
knuckles get banned?

or is he just sleeping it off?

funny how everyone gets upset over this and not the run naked for fun in SF.

what's that about? a lib thing, btw.

what's wrong with what they did at berklee? ooooooo they were repubs! sorry, forgot.

and we ain't talking 4.0 peoples getting into collage, they will, no matter what color.

it's the regular people, with the 2-3.0's that get screwed.

edit on 29-9-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

The policy is wrong i agree, but it's trying to make up for all the years when black students weren't accepted to colleges and universities because of their skin color.. you know DURING your parents time. Let's not act like the system is clear, even and level today when black people had to march for equal rights a little over 40 years and those protestors and fireman and cops that sicked the dogs on them and sprayed with water hoses are still around.

If i know my history correctly, working men once had to march to have the right to own property and to vote. Women also had to do this and they did it for a very long time. It just so happens that other minorities have had to do the same. When the Irish went to Britain and america they were treated savagely, and yet, you don't see them telling everyone that "You have to make allowances because you treated us like crap for years" As it goes, Ireland was occupied by Britain for hundreds of years, but you don't see them asking for allowances off the British government today.
Its people like yourself that keep society unfair. Sh!t happened, People have tried to make amends, but when it comes to education, it is SILLY that one student would be turned away because of his race, colour or gender. Its the same in the jobs market.

I know because i talk to my grandmother during those times. And that what she had to go through is true discrimination and racism, only because of the color of the skin.

My grandmother emigrated from Ireland when she was just 18 to work in the UK - All by herself. This was a time when the Irish were hated just as much as the blacks and Asian's. After my granddad died early on in life she was EVICTED from her property with her 4 children simply because she was woman and women were not allowed to have mortgages. But funny enough, i dont think she got to the age of 75 being bitter about how harsh life can be. Like i say, Sh!t happens.

Little Amy and Todd were so used to getting into whatever school they wanted that when they learned that they got bumped off the list for a black person then they got a problem. That's all i'm sayin. It's all good as long as you benefit but soon as someone else has the chance to get a leg up.. then we got problems.

No one would be complaining if that black student had better grades. The whole argument is about fairness, You want to be equal right? Because you cant play victim and then expect to have equal rights with the rest of society. Which do you want?
Play the victim, society can go back to treating you like # but we can still use affirmative action to show that we "care" or
Opt to be equal, enjoy the rights you have worked so hard for and WORK for your education - Dont expect it to be plated up just because past generations had to go through some serious sh!t.

Can it be any simpler?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   

"The issue is not whether one thinks an action is satirical or inoffensive, the issue is whether community members will be intentionally -- or unintentionally -- hurt or demeaned by that action," Birgeneau wrote, adding, "intelligent debate is based on mutual respect."

The use of irony, sarcasm, and ridicule to laugh at others in a mocking or contemptuous way, political satire, is becoming a normal thing. There is no mutual respect and that is the problem.
Though, maybe it has always been this way?
It is on TV shows, sitcoms, movies, cartoons, commercials, commentators do it, opinionated TV personalities do it, political ads, websites, the news, on billboards, youtube, in propaganda, on protest and rally signs, at political demonstrations, the left does it, the right does it, our president, congress and politicians do it.
It is everywhere!
And where shall I lay some of the blame.... colleges, campus humor magazines aka satirical journals spawned a lot of this. Think Harvard Lampoon aka National Lampoon, The Yale Record, Punch Bowl, or even UC Berkeley's very own Heuristic Squelch or their even earlier The California Pelican as a few examples. There are many of them.
Al Franken was on Saturday Night Live, a spawn of Lampoon, and he is the junior United States Senator from Minnesota, he also wrote a number of satirical books on politics. He is a Harvard College graduate of political science.
Many people who are popular satirists are college educated.
Why is it okay for some people in a college setting to use political satire and not okay for other people?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by mishigas

what was wrong with selecting university entrants based on inteligence ?

If they did that half the elite's kids wouldn't get in...

It's well-known that children of alumni for example have on average much lower SAT scores than general applicants.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Oh, if only.

Unfortunately for that to happen, no more nepotism would be allowed.

Co op students and interns at the better companies would have to get the jobs because they were qualified, not because they are friends of the daughter of the COO. Entry-level employees would be there because they had the best ideas and the most solid work ethic, not because their uncle has a quarter million invested with the company.

Next, I suppose you'll have some wild and crazy idea that managers are promoted due to their fantastic skills at motivating their employees and bringing in revenue growth rather than their ability to suck up and keep the employees below them from outshining them.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Unfortunately life isn't fair, and if anyone told you it was they lied! It's a fact that people are sometimes hired for positions due to social connections, family connections, nepotism, etc. It's a cold, hard fact that we all have to live with because it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Affirmative action programs have nothing to do with equality. They're designed to give an unfair advantage to an individual based upon their skin color, ethnicity, or gender. The fact that they may not be able to viably compete with their peers is not a consideration.

Today's colleges are a perfect example. You have people graduating with advanced degrees that can barely read or write. They were ushered in under one program or other with no regard being given to their ACT or SAT scores which are clear indicators of success. Every time this is done, the bar is lowered yet another notch, and the educational process suffers.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I think you and many people miss the point. Your granparents and other peoples grandparents migrated and willfully made the choice to leave. If you know anything about slavery, most if not all African slaves had no say so in coming to America, hence, slavery. They were forced to learn another religion, language, and culture...to name a few. Their families were seperated and abolished. So in reality, you can not compare one experience to the other because obviously, the outcomes are NOT the same.

And for those of you who like to claim...well it was the Africans who sold their own people, if this is true...my response is...that doesn't take away what was done in America....

And people like to question why do things exist such as BET, or the NCAAP, or HBC's....that's because blacks weren't considered equal and had to create their own. Like HELLO!!!! does anyone remember history and the need for civil rights.
There is no need for WET television when over 95% of shows and people on TV are white!! HELLO!!!!
I find it extremely funny how people pick and choose what they want to remember.

And as a black person, I do not condone Affirmative Action ( which by the way was created for white women) because I think it's unfair for both parties. But to deny the fact the racism still exist towards minorities is just pure ignorace.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by priceless34

And for those of you who like to claim...well it was the Africans who sold their own people, if this is true...my response is...that doesn't take away what was done in America....
It also doesn't excuse the fact the the coastal Black tribes captured and sold their own people into slavery either. Without their complicity, the slave trade would have ended rather naturally do to the risks and expenditures involved. I see no one asking the African Blacks for any reparations though. Slavery still exist in modern day Africa as well, but I here no one complaining about that. I wonder why? Here's a situation that you can actually do something about!

Slavery in modern Africa

And people like to question why do things exist such as BET, or the NCAAP, or HBC's....that's because blacks weren't considered equal and had to create their own. Like HELLO!!!! does anyone remember history and the need for civil rights.
There is no need for WET television when over 95% of shows and people on TV are white!! HELLO!!!!
I find it extremely funny how people pick and choose what they want to remember.
All these type of programs do is further promote the concept of Separate But Equal in my opinion. Are Black people so different that the must have television programs and organizations geared specifically to them? Most of the immigrants to this country wished to integrate and become "Americans" not culturally isolated entities. The term "White People" is a "Catchall" term. All "White" people are not of the same religious, cultural, or ethnic background. You have Whites of Irish, German, Polish, English, Spanish, French, Italian, etc. descent. They also differ in religious belief and practices as well.

And as a black person, I do not condone Affirmative Action ( which by the way was created for white women) because I think it's unfair for both parties. But to deny the fact the racism still exist towards minorities is just pure ignorace.
Nobody is denying it's existence, but it's a two-way street. Some minorities are just as racist as some White people are.
edit on 29-9-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
"Are Black people so different that the must have television programs and organizations geared specifically to them? "

Great question.
But why is it that no one asks these questions about Hispanics, Asians, Jewish, or Irish people.
Many of these groups have their own TV stations, communit centers, non-profit organizations, parades.
But no one says anything about these groups...why is that?
edit on 29-9-2011 by priceless34 because: quotations

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

"Are Black people so different that the must have television programs and organizations geared specifically to them? "

Great question.
But why is it that no one asks these questions about Hispanics, Asians, Jewish, or Irish people.
Many of these groups have their own TV stations, communit centers, non-profit organizations, parades.
But no one says anything about these groups...why is that?
edit on 29-9-2011 by priceless34 because: quotations
I guess it's because they don't go out of their way to publicize their existence like the NAACP or BET does. They also don't continuously solicit funding from the general public to finance their ethnically based programs or organizations. I've yet to be solicited by any Jewish American, Mexican American, Asian-American, or Irish-Americans organizations for anything.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

You need to lay off your "boo-hoo I'm a Native American pity me" routine, because it does disservice to sane and capable people of same decent.

Excuse me, but could you post where I said, "Boo hoo pity me because I am a native american"? I have a job, I look white, I basically interact in a white way with people. I dont live on a reservation, although I have relation that does. I dont want anything for myself from anyone. What I want is things to be more equal to those that dont have the chances I got.

So please stop making up stories about me and what I said to justify your beliefs and make what you are saying sound better.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

~snip~
But to deny the fact the racism still exist BETWEEN RACES is just pure ignorace.

There....fixed it for ya!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Excuse me, but could you post where I said, "Boo hoo pity me because I am a native american"? I have a job, I look white, I basically interact in a white way with people. I dont live on a reservation, although I have relation that does.
So, you're just "Passing" and pretending to be White? Why is that? Aren't you proud of your Native American heritage? I would be. Native Americans are the only "TRUE" Americans and have the best claim to the title. Why you'd choose to pass yourself off as a White person is beyond me. With the Affirmative action programs and Equal Rights laws you'd have a much easier time of it in corporate or Academic America.

Quit crying like babies about "white people are being discriminated against!", because it is seriously a slap in the face to anyone whose ancestors were killed, raped, and sold in the recent past. I would think that someone with a doctorate would be able to understand that.
If this isn't a boo hoo, pity me statement, I'm sadly mistaken. This never happened in your lifetime, your parent's lifetime, or probably even your Grandparent's lifetime. Why is the past so hard to put behind you and focus on the here and now? Nobody can go back in time and right all the wrongs committed on both sides, so why not let go of the anger and resentments?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
In my heart, I still believe that most white people are not racists. At least my family and friends are not (and, as I have said, I live in GA, where people might think that racism was the norm among the general population.)

Maybe it's a feature of my middle class, highly college-educated social circle (my husband and I each have Doctorate degrees, for example)...perhaps I'm somehow insulated from those who spout the hatred. Out of curiosity, what types of people use the "N-word" with you? I can't conceive of anyone I know doing that. Do those people have any common characteristics, like age, or socioeconomic status? Because I'm picturing some toothless old white man making comments like that, but as I said, not anyone I know.

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
I'm not really sure how anyone would satisfy you. No one can undo the wrongs of the past. What do you want us to do???
edit on Wed Sep 28 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

I cant even believe you would type something like the first quote....either you are supremely naive, or you have like 3 friends. I live in NY, a fairly liberal state, and have heard racist slurs in public from strangers, in private from people i have known for years, i went to a BBQ with like 80 people in middle class suburbs right after obama got elected, and there some KKK song playing on the radio about "shootin 'n-word's" and people were laughing at it. You cant really expect me to swallow "No, but really, I dont know ANYONE who would say such a thing!" You cant lie to me about it. I have seen it my whole life growing up, and like the one guy said, since obama got elected it has become worse!

I can't imagine a KKK song playing on the radio. Perhaps I am listening to the wrong radio stations...

The fact that you cant even fathom that racism exists makes alot of what you say on this subject pointless, because you have no frame of reference.

No, I understand it exists. But whether you believe me or not, me and my friends and family aren't sitting around making racist jokes and comments. NO ONE I associate with speaks like that around me.

Maybe it's because they know I am not the kind of person that would tolerate it??? Or maybe it's just the type of people I surround myself with.

I am a Christian, and predominately associate with conservative Christians. If the people you hear all the time being racist are liberals....perhaps that says something about them.

You want to make up for what happened? Quit crying like babies about "white people are being discriminated against!", because it is seriously a slap in the face to anyone whose ancestors were killed, raped, and sold in the recent past. I would think that someone with a doctorate would be able to understand that.

I think ANYONE of ANY race being discriminated against because of their race is WRONG. You should also not discriminate based on gender, skin color, etc.

Plus, I don't think it is my responsibility to make up for anything that happened in the past. It would be IMPOSSIBLE. I'm sure we ALL have ancestors who were killed and raped (actually you wouldn't even have to go back generations in my family for that one).

It is my responsibility to raise children who are not racists. It is my responsibility to be kind to those I interact with. It is my responsibility to be a good person. That's how I am focusing on living my life.

Being sorry that bad things happened in the past and feeling GUILTY about those bad things are VERY different. Of course I'm sorry for what happened. Much of history is filled with atrocities. But I am not RESPONSIBLE, just by nature of who I am.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

You need to lay off your "boo-hoo I'm a Native American pity me" routine, because it does disservice to sane and capable people of same decent.

Excuse me, but could you post where I said, "Boo hoo pity me because I am a native american"? I have a job, I look white, I basically interact in a white way with people. I dont live on a reservation, although I have relation that does. I dont want anything for myself from anyone. What I want is things to be more equal to those that dont have the chances I got.

So please stop making up stories about me and what I said to justify your beliefs and make what you are saying sound better.

Well you did emphasize that your ancestors were driven off their land, didn't you? And then you went on to claim that's a good enough basis to skew college admission policies. That's what I meant by "boo-hoo I need compensation in any form or shape, no matter how weird it is".

Other posters told you that the Irish were oppressed by the English, same goes for Scots and in fact the English themselves were totally invaded by the French and pretty much lost their language as a result (if you tried to read Old and Middle English, that much becomes clear).

How do you propose to allay that, huh?

And now that:

I have a job, I look white, I basically interact in a white way with people

Why on Earth you are so hung up on the color of your or other people's skin? That's just really beyond me. You haven't made a single valid point in this thread, just venting your bitterness on all sorts of races who post here.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessica6

Oh, if only.

Unfortunately for that to happen, no more nepotism would be allowed.

Co op students and interns at the better companies would have to get the jobs because they were qualified, not because they are friends of the daughter of the COO. Entry-level employees would be there because they had the best ideas and the most solid work ethic, not because their uncle has a quarter million invested with the company.

Next, I suppose you'll have some wild and crazy idea that managers are promoted due to their fantastic skills at motivating their employees and bringing in revenue growth rather than their ability to suck up and keep the employees below them from outshining them.

Not really sure what your getting at here...
Can you quote the post your responding to?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a group of repbulican students at berkeley university held a bake sale to help illustrate their view on affirmative action w pricing based on a customers race & gender. white students paid $2 women paid $1.75 black males paid .75 cents. later that day minority students held their own bake sale pointing out that if a white male steals a cupcake he gets a slap on the wrist, if a woman steals it she gets to keep it, if a black male steals it he gets 25 yrs in prison!!!! LOL saw this joke on leno last night!!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I think you and many people miss the point. Your granparents and other peoples grandparents migrated and willfully made the choice to leave. If you know anything about slavery, most if not all African slaves had no say so in coming to America, hence, slavery.

Well, since we are talking about slavery, lets not forget it was africans kidnapping africans and selling them to the west. Lets also not forget that the first slave owner in america (not indentured) was black. Shocking isnt it?
See here

You guys think you had it bad? Like i said, Ireland was reigned over and oppressed by the english for HUNDREDS of years.

What gets me is that often i hear black minorities ranting on about how they were badly done to and yet they fail to see that slavery has been apart of the world thousands of years and is STILL going on today.
Also i would like to add that no one is detaining black Americans - As i understand it they are free to return to africa if they wish to, am i not correct?

They were forced to learn another religion, language, and culture...to name a few. Their families were seperated and abolished. So in reality, you can not compare one experience to the other because obviously, the outcomes are NOT the same.

I know what they did, im aware of what happened. The nazi's did this to. Not to mention the times throughout history people were forced to sell their own children into slavery. As ive said, Sh!t happens.

Simple question, What will it take to pay you back? Seriously, if i could wave a magic wand to give you something, what would you ask for? (this doesn't include turning back time)

The American civil rights movement is well documented, the plight of black people in america is just another example of how stupid and ignorant human beings can be to one another. You had to set up your own groups, so did the irish! Your not the only race of people that have had to do alot more for alot less! you probably wont be the last.

I dont condone AA myself and i dont deny that racism towards minorities doesnt exist. Racism exists everywhere and can be done by ANYONE of any race, creed or colour.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join