It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetosphere Compressed and Collapsed today 9.26.2011? No not from Elenin!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well my point being that, for the fact the it's unpredictable at this stage, can perhaps be a threat in that regard.

I really am looking at this from a wide perspective, this is just one of the things you take notice with all the weird staff going on as of late.

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77
reply to post by dasysgod

I have a question for the carrington' level event. They say it would fry electronics. Is there any way to keep elecontronics safe during such an event?

Say a computer?

You could put it in a faraday cage, which could be crudely approximated by any closed conducting metal structure. The tower case itself is something of a faraday cage, although the front is usually mostly a plastic shield. If you knew a big flare was coming, you could put the whole tower case inside a metal-housing appliance, such as a fridge, dryer or washer.

Note, however, that any faraday cage would technically only be effective at a range of frequencies of changing magnetic field, based on its size and shape. If you were really paranoid you could build a metal cage version of one of those russian dolls with smaller and smaller dolls inside.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

What collapse?? This looks like normal behaviour to me. I guess you have never seen this in action during high activity before?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
reply to post by Phage

Activity has been decreasing ??? I believe these statistics are abit skewed, as in , watching a jobs report that says jobs are on the decrease, while just 5 hours ago they were increasing.

I feel the electromagnetic energy, and see it in the skies around here, it certainly has not decreased at all, lately.

Only because we have been in a grand solar MINIMUM for last few years. This is still the weakest cycle EVER recorded in modern times.
edit on 27-9-2011 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
i'm willing to bet that nothing happens

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Calex1987

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
reply to post by Calex1987

You don't think a billion could die if the electronics went out ??

The way many people are it is definitely a possibility.

i dont think billions would die because the power went out.....im sure if the power went out and it didnt come back in time we would lost people in hospitals....mass panics and mobs may kill some....but i dont believe just as it hits a billion people would die off...im sure alot would perish to the after effects of such a global disaster....but not just because of the flare..

so in short do i believe people will die cuz of the flare...No
do i believe people will die as a direct result of the flare knocking out all power and electronics yes (prime example hospital intensive care unit aka life support)

Don't forget the electronics in your vehicles. Trucks, tractors, and automobiles post 1970's, that have HEI (no coils) would be dead. Most aircraft..dead (except certain Soviet aircraft that have tubes). Basically, everything that has transistors would be gone(cardiac pace makers). Although some believe that a Faraday cage may save some things, we will have to wait and see.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dasysgod
Regardless of what anyone wants to say, this is a completely plausible threat we face. If these two small class solar flares/cmes caused this today, a large class could do us in technologically. As sunspot 1302 and 1305 face directly towards earth over the next 96 hours. Adding to that the alignment of earth-sun-mercury and uranus-sun- mercury is taking place at the same time. Magnetic acceleration is a known science during alignment and this alone could cause the sun to fart in our direction. If so bye bye electronics and power grid.

edit on 27-9-2011 by dasysgod because: fixed yt link

Yesterday about 6:30pm I was outside and happened to look up in the sky. I saw a red streak coming from the sun and noticed that everything north of it was bathed in a red tinge in a clear sky. Everything south of it was a deep blue. So I snapped a few pictures of it. I would show it if I just knew how to post it.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So this explains the fantastic Auroras I saw last night. Even as far south as Germany experienced Auroras because of these massive solar storms... Pretty impressive stuff. The sun pointing it's two largest cannons right at us for the next 96 hours? Who knows what might happen...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

No.
Geomagnetic activity will not damage your car. It will not damage aircraft. It will not damage everything that has transistors.

Geomagnetic activity affects long conductors (powerlines, pipelines, wire fences). It causes power surges in power grids.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
phage nailed it on page one, I have been using the magnetograph for about a year now and yesterday though active was by no means abnormal on the charts. i've seen worse.

ed: why only long conductors? is it a frequency thing?
edit on 27/9/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Violater1

No.
Geomagnetic activity will not damage your car. It will not damage aircraft. It will not damage everything that has transistors.

Geomagnetic activity affects long conductors (powerlines, pipelines, wire fences). It causes power surges in power grids.

That's good to know Phage.
So it's effects are nothing like an EMP

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

yes my internet has been shifty the past few days as well and fairpoint usually has good connections here in st albans vermont. The company has not sent us any info on what is going on, only thing i can think of is solar flare possibility.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Not a very good video, they block the pictures with text and only shows it for a second.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

Geomagnetic storms cause the Earth's magnetic field to "wiggle". When you have a magnetic field moving across a conductor it produces an electric current (that's how a electrical generator works). When the conductor is very long and the magnetic field is very large (not necessarily powerful) and the field moves a lot, a strong current is produced. Those strong currents (power surges) can damage electrical transmission devices (transformers, switch gear).

edit on 9/27/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Don't worry too much in a few hours you'll have a new comet to be afriad of lol

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by VicDiaz89
I just posted a thread about seeing strange flashes of light in the clear night sky here in southern AZ tonight,maybe related?

NASA has been saying for months to expect to see the aurora borealis in unusual places through the rest of 2011 and 2012 due to the high levels of solar flare activity on the sun. It sounds like that's what you may be describing, don't worry about it, enjoy the show!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
So it's effects are nothing like an EMP

I almost sold my old hot rod '72 CB750 (too many bikes), but then when people started talking about an EMP possibly taking out electronic ignitions it gave me the perfect excuse to hang onto it (but honey, it could save our whole family and be our only transportation some day!!!)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
cause the sun to fart in our direction

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join