It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,700 slain prisoners found in Libya mass grave

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
1,700 slain prisoners found in Libya mass grave

Libya's new rulers said they have unearthed a mass grave of 1,700 prisoners slain by Moamer Kadhafi's regime in a 1996 uprising, a massacre that helped trigger the revolt that ousted the despot.

The gruesome find came as hundreds of the National Transitional Council's fighters thrust into Kadhafi's hometown of Sirte from the east and NATO warplanes pounded the coastal city for a second straight day.

The remains of the prisoners executed at Tripoli's notorious Abu Salim jail were found in a mass grave in the capital, said Khalid Sharif, spokesman for the NTC's military council.

"We found the place where all these martyrs were buried," said Sharif, adding it was proof of "criminal acts" by Kadhafi's regime.

Salim al-Farjani, a member of the committee set up to identify the remains, appealed for international help.

"We call on foreign organisations and the international community to help us in this task of identifying the remains of more than 1,700 people," said Farjani.

Click link for remainder of article.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Apparently Ghaddafis reign was not as peaceful as some members like to portray it as. This is just one mass grave and contained bodies of 1700 people dating back to 1996.

Granted the TNC has its issues, but I think in the long run more and more of these are going to be discovered and linked back directly to Ghaddafi.

Thoughts on this?

Question -
Should military intervention be considered when only himanitarian issues are present?
edit on 26-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
here's some opposing reports....

par for the course ?

WHO should we really believe ?

Medics confirm the mass grave site of Abu Saleen Prison is fake

Libya: NTC concocts ‘mass grave’ story in brazen propaganda ploy

September 26, 2011

In a truly stunning display of dishonesty, the BBC has reported, citing no evidence to back its claim, that a mass grave containing over 1,200 bodies has been found in Tripoli’s Abu Salim prison complex. The BBC attempts to tie this ‘finding’ to the equally concocted ‘Abu Salim prison massacre’, as it claims that the bodies are those of the inmates supposedly killed in 1996.

google some more

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Im good.. I had issues with Oozy when he was on this site, and his blog doesnt carry any weight.

You are more than wlecome to continue posting your links to this being fake. I chose to beleive otherwise.

Also, your source for the linked article has some interesting positions -

empirestrikesblack.com...

All based on conspiracy and hatred for jews and the west.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I tend to think the Yahoo report and others are true also.

We are seeing quick attempts to sway the other way....

let's see how far they go on this one !

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Im good.. I had issues with Oozy when he was on this site, and his blog doesnt carry any weight.

You are more than wlecome to continue posting your links to this being fake. I chose to beleive otherwise.

Also, your source for the linked article has some interesting positions -

empirestrikesblack.com...

All based on conspiracy and hatred for jews and the west.

The events of the ‘Abu Salim prison massacre’ are based on two reports – one from the New York based, globalist-funded Human Rights Watch, and one from the CIA-Mossad-created National Front for the Salvation of Libya (NFSL). The backgrounds of these organisations lend them zero credibility and in addition, their reports are based on nothing more than the testimony of two people – one named and one anonymous. Openly admitted by Human Rights Watch, none of the claims made by their witness can be independently verified. On top of this, their witness states on record that he did not witness even one single prisoner being shot dead in this supposed massacre. Furthermore, as I will demonstrate, the reports are riddled with contradictions and weaknesses. All in all, these factors and the historical context that surrounds them, utterly expose the contrived nature of the ‘Abu Salim massacre’ story.

well maybe there is some controversey.

conflicting time lines?

maybe.

motives either way is the question.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

I tend to think the Yahoo report and others are true also.

We are seeing quick attempts to sway the other way....

let's see how far they go on this one !

Dont get me wrong, if credible evidence comes out that offers more of an explanation and supporting documentation I hve no issues conceeding the point.

In all fairness part of the discussion I saw in the comment par ton one of your sources stated CNN medics had seen the site and said the bones dont look human. However, im not aware of what the "medics" medical background is, their loyalties etc etc etc.

Its difficult to know what to trust when it comes to Libya. The PM of the NTC is actually the former justice minister under Ghaddafi....

Info is confusing.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This story from early this year...
(and early on in the Libya conflict)

is pointing to the massacre in question as an inspiration to overthrow Kadaffi.

Maybe the full circle of the "discovery" is completing the agenda?

Propaganda to begin with?

How the Abu Salim Prison Massacre in 1996 Inspired the Revolution in Libya

In her report for Channel 4 News, Lindsey Hilsum (following a lead established by others in recent days, including Foreign Policy, the New York Times, TIME and Middle East Online) has — correctly, I believe — identified the Abu Salim prison massacre as the symbolic trigger for the uprising in Libya, beginning her article as follows (emphasis added):...............

I wonder why the Libyans did not hide the bodies better?

Maybe like using lime and concrete ?

Abu Salim prison (wiki)

Note the picture in wiki....
it's the one CNN or Reuters used in a fake report about something else?

Reuters Photo

connection ?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

If you ask me thats a propaganda ploy

In a truly stunning display of dishonesty, the BBC has reported, citing no evidence to back its claim, that a mass grave containing over 1,200 bodies has been found in Tripoli’s Abu Salim prison complex. The BBC attempts to tie this ‘finding’ to the equally concocted ‘Abu Salim prison massacre’, as it claims that the bodies are those of the inmates supposedly killed in 1996.

edit on 26-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
S & F

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I knew this would come to pass and that the finger pointing would start soon after.

I wasn't wrong

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

you do know these bodies could be used for propaganda right? guess whose in power now, the NTC.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Whats the point of arguing really? I mean its only going to be over what source is more credible, we weren't there we haven't seen the sight with our own eye so no one can say definitively what is right and who is wrong. That is the idea of the war game, no one is right or wrong, there is only win and lose.

War Sucks

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
well if a religious theocracy gets established like its towarding to and per who were the lybian rebels.

more the same is to come no matter where you go northern africa the middle east the new boss is same as the old boss.

does not surprise me in the least.
edit on 26-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought
Whats the point of arguing really? I mean its only going to be over what source is more credible, we weren't there we haven't seen the sight with our own eye so no one can say definitively what is right and who is wrong. That is the idea of the war game, no one is right or wrong, there is only win and lose.

War Sucks

Fair point.. The people who have weighed in so far have stuck to the source issue and credability. I have not seen them answer the follow up question so I will ask you your opinion.

Do you think military intervention when only humanitarian issues are present? It doesnt need to be confined to Libya. As an example, knowing what was coming out of Sudan, where ethnic cleansing was occuring, should other countries have been more forceful by sending in the military to stop it?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by SLAYER69

you do know these bodies could be used for propaganda right? guess whose in power now, the NTC.

Yeah and the current Prime Minister for the TNC used to work for ghaddafi.

With the shifting loyalties presently going on in Libya, do you think more mass graves (should this one be confirmed as such) will be found?

Keep in mind that even if the order came from the top levels of the old regime, they arent going to be the ones who actually pull the trigger and move the bodies. It will be done by the rank and file.

I am curious to see what, if anything more, is going to come out of this. I know the same thing occured in Iraq, and even today they stumble across mass graves from back in the day.

As a side note Im not trying to post information in an effort to bolster the new government. My intent (again if its verified) was to point out that life under Ghaddafi wasnt all fun in the sun.

What im going to be watching for is how they set up their legal branches and the process. If there are no safeguards in place to prevent a person from being railroaded for having a differing opinion than that of the government, I dont see the new government lasting long. All they need to do is look East towards Egypt where discontent with the military rule is starting to have an affect on the people who want change.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Some more information from the International Red Cross / Human Rights Watch
-
Human Rights Watch Report
Libya: Mass Graves Found In And Around Tripoli (PHOTOS) (13 so far and counting)

GENEVA -- The International Committee of the Red Cross says at least 13 mass graves have been found in Libya over the past three weeks.

The Geneva-based Red Cross says its staff assisted in the recovery of 125 bodies found at 12 different sites in and around Tripoli.

It says remains of 34 people were also recovered from a site in the Nafusa mountain village of Galaa in western Libya.

WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW

ICRC spokesman Steven Anderson said Wednesday that more mass graves are being found every week.

The aid group says it is helping ensure the remains are properly recovered so that the identities of the dead can be established and relatives informed.

It said it is not involved in collecting evidence that could be used in war crimes or other legal proceedings.

Human Rights Watch reports that it is likely the men were executed in early June before pro-Gaddafi forces fled the area. Bullet casings present at the site suggest that the men were shot with automatic gunfire before being buried.

Im not going to post the pictures, which by the way confirm that the bones / bodies are in fact human.

I dont know if the 1700 number comes from these 13 sites, or if these sites are new etc. Ill continue to look for clarifying information on that.

Either way, its confirmed.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Oozyism blog was quoting CNN to claim it's fake.

Getty Images/AFP PHOTO/MAHMUD TURKIA from Huffington Post dated September 11 is the same CNN posted in news below. CNN's only indication of a [undated] file photo is the vertical top right line.

CNN photo is a bit dated, Huffington Post confirms..

Libya hedges mass grave claim
By the CNN Wire Staff
September 26, 2011 -- Updated 2306 GMT (0706 HKT)

edition.cnn.com/2011/09/25/world/africa/libya-mass-grave/index.html

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* NEW: Some bones are bigger than normal human remains, official says
* No excavation has taken place at the site
* The suspected grave was found August 20, government officials say
* The site is behind a prison where a 1996 massacre was reported

Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- Libya's transitional government has hedged its claims that a mass grave had been found behind a notorious prison, telling reporters Monday that some bones found there were too large to be from humans.

"Some investigations have been conducted on this mass grave specifically, and there has been no conclusion yet," said Jamal Ben Noor, a senior official with the Justice and Human Rights Ministry. Ben Noor said the site reported behind Abu Salim prison in Tripoli "could be something else," because the bones found here are bigger than normal human remains.

Officials with the National Transitional Council, the movement that ousted longtime Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi in August, said Sunday that it was investigating whether a mass grave had been found behind Abu Salim. Human rights groups say Gadhafi's government put down a 1996 uprising at the cost of hundreds of lives -- a toll the regime never acknowledged -- and the NTC said Sunday the grave may hold as many as 1,270 bodies.

But a CNN team that was brought to the muddy field with other news outlets found only what appeared to be animal bones. The NTC has called on international governments to help it investigate the site, which was discovered by revolutionary forces on August 20, said Kamal el Sherif, a member of the transitional government.

(...)

edit on 27-9-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

I hilghy believe these bones could be animal bones or either bones when at the time ronald reagan bombed libya.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by jjjtir

I hilghy believe these bones could be animal bones or either bones when at the time ronald reagan bombed libya.

so,

it is possible that the human photos are not real genuine ?

and may be from other events, or even staged ?

could be another media hyped hoax.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

and may be from other events, or even staged ?

From other events did you forget that NATO bombed tripoli for months and weeks before the take over by rebels? these bones could be from Gaddafi side since Gaddafi had no site the dead from his HQ where else do you think Gaddafi forces would put there own dead from the NATO Bombings?

Or even staged but i think its Gaddafi people or atleast the ones who dead by the NATO bombings.
edit on 27-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join