It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Make Near-Earth Announcement Regarding YU55 & Other Potential ELE on Sept 29, 2011

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by dreamseeker
There was no announcement today or was there something I missed? I ha the Tv on around this time an nothing came on of an announcement. Why woul they do it during the day an not at night when most people will be home?

It was simply a normal NASA press conference talking about recent discoveries. NASA has these press conferences all the time (roughly once a month or so) in which they discuss the results of some of their missions.

The information in these semi-regularly-held NASA press conferences is scientifically interesting, but it seems (at least from what I read here on ATS) that some people find it boring, although I like these press conferences. I think some people expect "world-changing announcements", but then are disappointed by the esoteric science news they get instead.

Today's scheduled press conference was about NEOWISE -- which is a mission that searched for near-Earth asteroids. This is the one year anniversary of the start of the NEOWISE mission (which came after the end of the WISE mission, and used the same spacecraft). Th press conference was simply discussing the data that to date has been analyzed. The NEOWISE spacecraft is no longer in operation (it stopped transmitting in February), but the data is still being analyzed.

On this one year anniversary of the start of the mission, NASA has announced that it has tracked 93% of large near-Earth asteroids. Much of today's press conference focused on the methods they used to determine the size of asteroids using the NEOWISE data.

There is still a lot of data they they have yet to analyze, but today's conference was only to tell us about the progress and findings of NEOWISE one year into the program.

edit on 9/29/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

93% of WHAT EXACTLY? They claim to not know how many asteroids NEO's etc....but anyone can tell you that in order to know a percentage of something, you NEED to know the whole amount.

Percentage = Part/Whole x 100

They are full of B.S.
There was a "chat" session afterwards, in which they avoided any questions having to do with Elenin and other current NEO's. What are they afraid of? If it is all nonsense, then they should ADDRESS it. By ignoring the questions, they only pose more questions.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by makinit66

Elenin is (was) not a NEO. Its closest approach is (was) about 22 million miles and it was not part of the NEOWISE survey (the topic of the conference). It poses no risk to Earth and never did. It is (was) not relevant to the discussion.

It was explained 93% of what, exactly.

For the largest asteroids, larger than 1,000 meters (3,300 feet), NEOWISE data revises the total population down to 981 from a prior estimate of about 1,000.
www.nasa.gov...

No one claimed to know exactly how many there are. It's a best guess and it's probably a very good one. Future missions may refine that figure further and will surely find more of them to raise that 93% figure.

edit on 9/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by makinit66

Originally posted by makinit66
If it is all nonsense, then they should ADDRESS it. By ignoring the questions, they only pose more questions.

They've allready done that like a gazillion times, but there's a certain crowd that chooses not to believe them. It was only a short while ago when NASA even released a video dismissing the false rumours and information surrounding Elenin. People have such short memories, so here's the video once again.

edit on 1-10-2011 by famalhut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The alignment dates and stuff for several of these are oddly familiar. The size of the one that just missed us is 13 meters, which is 39 feet. Both occult numbers. Let's see what happens on the 9th of November through the 11th of November. 11/11/11 = 33 11/9/11 is a significant date for one of these as was 9/11/11, which was Elenin's perihelion to the Sun. It IS strange all of these, but nothing conclusive. My point is just that people are getting concerned from all the numerology involved more so than the actual odds of an impact. You can't blame them really.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by famalhut

Just have to say this: when they tell you everything is fine, that's when you run.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FejkNick
reply to post by famalhut

Just have to say this: when they tell you everything is fine, that's when you run.

So I take it you must be extremely fit by now?

edit on 5-10-2011 by Seagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by manticorex5

Who's freakin'? Anyway, they're not telling us much, certainly not enough info to even freak about, which leads me to wonder what's really going on.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join