It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public School Anti-Halloween (Sudbury Massachusetts)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I never said not to let the other kids celebrate what they believe, or are taught. NEVER!

If they want to celebrate holidays in school, go right ahead.

Not my issue, I really don't care. If others chose to teach their kids of these holidays, be my guest...

Just stated that my children were never told of fairy tail that went along with these days. I told them the truth from the get-go. What you all chose to teach your children, celebrate, more power to you...enjoy!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Wow...nice response....

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I'm a baby boomer and we always said the pledge of allegiance
before class started.We even had PRAYER before going to lunch.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismarco
reply to post by mamabeth

You poor misguided people...yes blame the money greedy companies for pushing halloween and a time for parents and kids to go out trick or treating..I have an idea for those that are offended with these pointless pagan holidays try Iran...I hear the weather is great this time of year and you will never have to worry about all of those pesky holidays..better yet try North Korea...

Pointless pagan holiday? I'm not Wiccan, but I know the origins of Halloween are from their celebration. People should be free to celebrate how they choose, but the schools shouldn't be involved in promoting something that is basically a crapped up version of a originally spiritual celebration.

If an ultra Christian family celebrates Christmas but doesn't pull the Santa crap. A school shouldn't have kids write a letter to Santa asking for what they want for Christmas.

edit on 26-9-2011 by kalamatas because: typo

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

well played...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimithae
reply to post by chrismarco

As a child, I remember Halloween with great pleasure and happy memories I never once 'believed' I was anything or that I was worshipping anything. It was just a fun holiday mainly for kids.We got to go out, run around and get candy. What can be better than that to a kid?This was a holiday that was brought over here from Irish descendents, much as our other holidays were brought by people from all over.I don't see why there should be an issue with celebrating Christmas, Halloween or any other holiday.These holidays are what binds family's together and helps create happy memories. Are the holidays happy for everyone? No but that doesn't mean no one else should be able to have fun.

I couldn't agree more! I have a very close knit family who has shared many different holidays over the years. We have many wonderful memories to treasure. I'm sick of all the politically correct crap. I say celebrate and have fun with those little oens!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kalamatas

Just please get over it and let the kids look foward to something other than school...distractions are nice..we expect them from our bosses every now and then...some of you may be familiar with team building exercises? Well chalk this up as one of them..a group of kids getting together to have fun for a day or two...just leave it at that and make no substitutions or excuses.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xxcalbier

WOW, live and let live?..or judge and believe everyone should think and live like you???

Grow up! Just because someone doesn't believe, live like you,,,boooo-hoooo...celebrate as you wish..I don't judge you...don't judge me, or my ways.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I should also add that when we had Halloween events at school it was always a historical/seasonal pursuit and not a religious one.

This area is the home of the pumpkin patch and fallen leaves. We hung witches here. Sleepy Hollow cemetery is right down the street. This is where American Halloween was born.

If this were anywhere else, I wouldn't have a real problem with it being "banned". Here, it has a real local and historical significance. What a shame.
edit on 26-9-2011 by METACOMET because: sp

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

reply to post by kalamatas

Just please get over it and let the kids look foward to something other than school...distractions are nice..we expect them from our bosses every now and then...some of you may be familiar with team building exercises? Well chalk this up as one of them..a group of kids getting together to have fun for a day or two...just leave it at that and make no substitutions or excuses.

I never said don't celebrate, but when it comes to schools where many backgrounds are coming together, things of religious origin should be left out. Just because we grew up oblivious to where "Halloween" actually came from doesn't mean we should continue that way, especially if a school has members who celebrate it's original meaning. Unfortunately it becomes to confusing. Those that want to just ignore it and continue as is aren't taking into consideration what it means to another child in a group setting. School is there to teach reality, not perpetuate false or distorted history. Call it Halloween outside the school, unless the school is actually going to be able to provide to the kids the true meaning and origins of Halloween.

I don't have a personal problem with kids trick or treating, but I can understand not wanting to have schools get involved with celebrations using a label they couldn't even explain the meaning of. So hence sticking with Autumn celebration. It's neutral and doesn't deprive the kids of anything.

Kids are still going to trick or treat, kids are still going to ask Santa for presents, but let the parents be in charge of the make believe or nonsensical things, not a place of education. I'm sure the kids can still have a parade.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Here is what Sudbury students did last year for their Halloween event.

SUDBURY — Haynes Elementary School Community Service Project collected Halloween candy to be sent to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. A Concord Post Office employee that helps and advises Local Heroes estimated that the school collected well over 400 pounds of candy. This is the second year that that Haynes School has helped out Local Heroes and each year the bags of candy get heavier, a job well done.

www.wickedlocal.com...

Oh the horror!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

reply to post by summer5

Get off your high horse lady and let the kids have some fun...

I don't see it as a high horse, I believe it's just the way she would have liked to be raised and the way she has choosen to raise her children.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

You poor misguided people...yes blame the money greedy companies for pushing halloween and a time for parents and kids to go out trick or treating..I have an idea for those that are offended with these pointless pagan holidays try Iran...I hear the weather is great this time of year and you will never have to worry about all of those pesky holidays..better yet try North Korea...

Halloween was an excuse to be creative with hooligan friends.. made costumes, baked goodies, carved Jack-o-lanterns.. dumb fun not taken seriously. There's not enough of that these days.

Public schools are largely a bland un interesting joke where unique personalities, creativity, & critical thinking skills go to die.

Pay for my ticket to Iran?..I have x wifes family to visit, cool dudes... 1st class will suffice. Thanks!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join