It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. lawmaker: Palestinians must return to peace talks or suffer possible divestment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

U.S. lawmaker: Palestinians must return to peace talks or suffer possible divestment

www.haa retz.com

U.S. State Department waits for Palestinians' 'official response' to Quartet proposal; U.S. Congress members suggest reevaluation of U.S. financial assistance to Palestinian Authority.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
If we pressured Israel like this, there would have been peace already. If we said to Israel, stop settlements and start negotiations or all foreign aid will be frozen until then, they'd evacuate settlements the next day.

US threatening the Palestinians won't get anywhere, especially to a peace deal we can all have a sigh of relief at.

"They should think twice, reverse course and get back to the negotiating table where Prime Minister [Benjamin] Netanyahu awaits them,” he concluded.

They act as if Benjamin Netanyahu WANTS to be negotiating peace. If it were up to him, he'd massacre every Palestinian in the WEst Bank and claim it for Israel, but he doesn't because of the high amount of publicity and attentiveness that's been shifted to that region in the past few years.

Palestine isn't building settlements in Israel, so Israel shouldn't be building settlements in Palestine. It's a clear violation of the road map for peace, a blatant act of colonization on Israels behalf. I don't understand why Palestinians are threatened to do something when they haven't negated the Road Map for Peace (not talking about Hamas), where as Israel has.

www.haa retz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9/26/2011 by LibertarianExpress because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is how Israel wants peace. You let us have what we want and meet all our demands and you get nothing. Maybe Israel should also be re-compensated for all the ethnic cleansing also.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Yeah it is pretty selfish of ISrael to demand security and a right to exist. Those pesky Arabs / Palestinians refuse to recognize Israel, and refuse to sign peace treaties with them.

Abbas says no Jews in a palestinian state.
Hamas refuses to recognize Israel because they want them destroyed.

I cant imagine why Israel is difficult to deal with.

You would be to if you are constantly under attack from cowardly Hamas / arab / palestinian morons who would rather launch rockets and kill innocent people, only to launch those attacks from population centers in Gaza where they know a response from ISrael will kill innocent palestinians.

You guys do understand that if PAlestine becomes real, and Hamas launches rockets, its going to fall under the category of Article 7 for the UN. Israel will be justified in defending its country from attacks by another country.

Palestiniain / Arab leadership do NOT want peace wbetween Isreal and Palestinians. The moment that issue is settled, Arabs / Palestinians wont have any reasons to attack Israel. They can no longer exploit the occupation argument.

There is nothing to fear when it comes to a Palestinian State.

The arabs / palestinians will see to it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Yeah it is pretty selfish of ISrael to demand security and a right to exist. Those pesky Arabs / Palestinians refuse to recognize Israel, and refuse to sign peace treaties with them.

doesn't that make them even??

Welll then you'd think it would be fair to have no Arabs in an israeli state - I wonder if Abbas is prepared for teh next lot of refugees...???

You would be to if you are constantly under attack from cowardly Hamas / arab / palestinian morons who would rather launch rockets and kill innocent people, only to launch those attacks from population centers in Gaza where they know a response from ISrael will kill innocent palestinians.

you must be a little thick to think that's teh only side of it. Certainly teh Palestinians are not angels - and the rest of the Arab states even less so - but Israel has regularly refused to allow Palestinians to return to their homes that they owned in 1948, has appropriated their land without recompense, has slpit their communities, and engaged in plenty of massacres of Palestinians either directly or via proxy - I'm old enough to rmemeber the massacres in the Lebanon camps in hte 1980's for example, Sharon infamously led a unit that killed over 60 civilians in 1953 - at a time when ther wasnt' actually a formal war going on but lots of raids by both sides were killing civilians.

The idea that 1 side in this cluster-thingie is perfectly reasonable is just ignorant nonsense!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Care to point out where I said ISrael is a perfect angel?

I pointed out the issues the OP failed to address.

It takes 2 to tango...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
This is the problem with the United States of America, when things don't go their
way, throw all their toys out of the pram and resort to threats. As if the Palestinian people didn't have enough problems with the Israeli blockade of Gaza, settlement building, now good old America wants to inflict further collective punishment on an already oppressed people. In my view it is this mentality of American policy makers that has caused misery to many countries, America should learn to conduct themselves in a manner befitting a super power not a bully of those to weak to defend themselves.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think the US should cut off funding to all middle eastern countries including Israel unless they need it for humanitarian reasons. We're deep in debt here and don't need to give our money away. Surely Israel and other people can support themselves without US aid.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

No, demanding security and a right to exist is not selfish of Israel but that's not the point, is it? Actually, "Demanding security and a right to exist", isn't that EXACTLY what the Palestinians are doing? A little hypocritical of you to mention that? The point is that Israel is not showing ANY TRUE signs of truly wanting peace. Actually, judging from their actions, they want continued instability to continue the genocide and land-grabbing. SAYING something does not make it TRUE! If you woke up to someone holding a gun to your face, you'd defend yourself by any means necessary- no matter what the guy with the gun says! Just like how the oppressed Palestinians are doing anything and everything they can to protect themselves and the future of their children by any means necessary.

I wouldn't want anyone in my house if "They" were doing the things that Israel has been doing for decades either. Trust needs to be earned! Especially after so much bloodshed.
Hamas refuses to recognize Israel because they want them destroyed.

I can. Coexistence is not part of their plan.

If my country was being stolen bit by bit, and more and more of my countrymen/women and children were being murdered by a nation every day and launching rockets would be the only thing I could do, then you can bet your ass that I would launch each and every single rocket that I HAD at that country. Hell, I'd THROW ROCKS IF I COULD! YOU can talk all you want in your comfy chair, but you have not, and will probably never understand what the people of Palestine and Gaza have been going through by the hands of Israel.

You guys do understand that if PAlestine becomes real, and Hamas launches rockets, its going to fall under the category of Article 7 for the UN. Israel will be justified in defending its country from attacks by another country.Correct, but Palestine becoming a real state would also mean that the U.N. will be pressured even more to defend it from the atrocities that Israel is comitting from the second it's accepted that Palestine is a sovereign nation.

Palestiniain / Arab leadership do NOT want peace wbetween Isreal and Palestinians. The moment that issue is settled, Arabs / Palestinians wont have any reasons to attack Israel. They can no longer exploit the occupation argument.
The only reason that the Arabs and Palestinians "Dont want Peace" with Israel is because ISRAEL will not stop the genocide and the land-grabbing. How can you expect a nation of people who have been suffering for decades by the hands of Israel to accept drawing new borders, effectively relinquishing big quantities of land to Israel. To make a comparison, someone starts occupying your living room and kitchen and takes more and more of YOUR PROPERTY every day and at the same time subjects you to violence. Will you you accept it and coexist?

There is nothing to fear when it comes to a Palestinian State.

The arabs / palestinians will see to it.

We will see
I myself will fight for FREEDOM and JUSTICE for as long as I draw breath, regardless of WHO I am fighting against.

Replied in the quote (Blue parts).

Edit: Fixed Color.

IT--
edit on 26-9-2011 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpecialAgent25
This is the problem with the United States of America, when things don't go their
way,....

Well, when we are giving 500 million we have certain expectations of how that money is to be spent. If Palestinians make their choice to go independent, and the manner they do it is not something we support, why should be continue to provide funding?

Why do you, and some others (imo) think that foreign aid is a requirement?

Im sure Iran will be more than happy to fill in the gap the US leaves when we cut funding.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

way,....

Well, when we are giving 500 million we have certain expectations of how that money is to be spent.

How much has the US given Israel over the years?

just by way of balancing the info....

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

A crap ton.. In addition to the US, other countries give aid to Israel. Just as countries give aid to Arab countries, like China, Russia etc etc etc.

What does US aid to Israel have to do with anything? Iran gives aid to syria and Hamas.

Is it a 2 way street or is the US the only country who must justify who we support and why? If you want to aid to ISrael to stop, then all aid to Hamas, Syria, Egypt , Hezzbullah etc should also stop.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

way,....

Well, when we are giving 500 million we have certain expectations of how that money is to be spent. If Palestinians make their choice to go independent, and the manner they do it is not something we support, why should be continue to provide funding?

Why do you, and some others (imo) think that foreign aid is a requirement?

Im sure Iran will be more than happy to fill in the gap the US leaves when we cut funding.

"If Palestinians make their choice to go independent, and the manner they do it is not something we support, why should be continue to provide funding?"
I thought the USA was big on "Freedom" and "Justice" (Sarcasm). Why isn't Palestine allowed to be recognized as a sovereign nation by the UN while hundreds of other countries are recognized? What gives you, the USA or anyone else for that matter the right to decide if the people living in Palestine should be able to call forth sovereignty? Especially since MOST OF THE WORLD SUPPORTS THEM? I'm losing more and more faith in the USA and her people. I think your founding fathers (Which I ADMIRE) would feel great shame to see just how much the USA has hit rock bottom and is continuing to sink even lower. Ever heard of morals? How about humanity? Does love mean anything to you? How about freedom? Maybe Justice? No?

"Im sure Iran will be more than happy to fill in the gap the US leaves when we cut funding."
Yeah but that would mean that Iran is officially supporting "Terrorists"
A perfect reason for more pressure, instability and war if you ask me. I think that seasoned Iranian politicians and government officials can figure that out if a regular joe like me can.

There is a reason why sentient beings like us can not function without freedom and only truly thrive when we are free. People should stop thinking that they have the right to dictate other peoples rights and lives, It is not YOUR place to do so, regardless of the extent of the illusion that you are living in. Play with fire and you will get burned. Play with LIVES and you will suffer more than you hold dear.

IT--

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If we're not getting something in exchange for all that money we give to whomever, cut it out. Let Iran support the Palestinians if it's not going to change anything important. For that matter, maybe we should move the UN to China and let China pay all the UN bills we're paying now. I'm not an expert on what we're getting for our money but I know we need to cut out US government spending. I believe we should have cut out foreign aid to many countries years ago.
edit on 26/9/11 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
What the hell is up with Mods moving Israel/Palestine threads that have been posted in the Breaking News Section to the ME forum? "IDF raises its alert level" belongs in the BNS but this thread doesn't? I call BIAS

IT--

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

A crap ton.. In addition to the US, other countries give aid to Israel. Just as countries give aid to Arab countries, like China, Russia etc etc etc.

What does US aid to Israel have to do with anything? Iran gives aid to syria and Hamas.

Well if you expect the US to ahve a say in how Palestine spends its aid then isn't it fair & reasonable for the US to also have a say in how Israel spends it's aid?

If you look around the 'net you'll find figures of about $3 billion cash per annum (mostly in military equipment), plus anything up to another $3 billion in credit - routinely $5 billion per annum.

It's budgeted to continue at that level until at least 2018, and has totaled as much as $156 billion from 1948-2006 in direct aid. Loans that were waived before being repaid may have been as much as $45 billion in total 1974-2003

Is it a 2 way street or is the US the only country who must justify who we support and why? If you want to aid to ISrael to stop, then all aid to Hamas, Syria, Egypt , Hezzbullah etc should also stop.

I haven't suggested cutting anyone's aid to anyone else.

It was you bought up the subject of having a say in how aid is spent - so if that is fair for the Palestinians then it must be fair for Israel too...right?
edit on 26-9-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by edog11

Ill get behind Palestine as soon as they recognize Israel as a country.

In the mean time where are you and others when it comes to -

Kurds?
Tibet?
Taiwan?

Why should the US get behind a Palestinian State that is intent on going to war with Israel? It would be like Japan providing assistance to North Korea while being allied with South Korea.

What it boils down to though is we dont need to give any reasons why we fund / dont fund countries, just as the other countries arent required to justify their aid to countries.

Why the double standard?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Actually we do dictate to Israel how the money is spent. Almost all US aid to Israel is restricted to military operations. To my knowledge I dont think the US supplies any aid to Israel in the economic realm.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Viva la revolution . We support democracy in the arab world.
Except for the palistinians.....
63 years ago the UN gave israel to the jewish people. Saying that the palistinians could have a state of their own. 63 years later, israel is stealing as much land as they can, whilst the palistians, are still without a state of their own. All that they have, is a concentration camp. The jewsih folk learned well from the nazis. They would make hitler proud of his jewish roots.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by illuminnaughty

Oh I dont know about that.. Hamas seems to be holding their own when it comes to killing their own people. The only thing missing from Hamas is a sign that reads

-- Arbeit macht frei.

Interesting you bring up a Nazi comparison though. If you actually check Hamas and its beliefs you will find they are one in the same with the Nazis.

Especially the part where they want Israel wiped off the map.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join