It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Technology for Refrigeration

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

Hi guys, brilliant video that we'll be sharing with our networks! I'm Gemma and I work for Practical Action, an international development charity that transforms the lives of poor people across the world through the innovative use of technology.

We help people to make these 'fridges' in places like Sudan where food doesn't stay fresh for long due to the heat. Without any means of preserving their crops, this can lead to hunger and even starvation so the zeer pot has literally been a life-saver. Check it out: practicalaction.org...

A tip: If you put the pot on a large iron stand (see photo in link above), it allows the air to flow underneath and aid the cooling process.

By the way, we run an online discussion forum on the first Wednesday of every month related to technology for poverty, If you're interested in joining and sharing go to practicalaction.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This is something that could come in handy in 3rd world countries or for people on a tight budget; however, I'll stick with my igloo coolers, as during a SHTF scenario, one is just as likely to come across an actual cooler as they are to come across 2 intact pots.

Nonetheless, cool idea (pun intended).
Our ancestors were quite ingenious.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I was inspired by this post to go out and buy the pots. I live in the Caribbean so the need for cheap refrigeration is essential. I'm trying the setup now as we speak so crossing my fingers. If it works here in our hot humid climate (60-90%) I will share with as many as possible. Thanks

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by practical

It's good to know that this technology is being used in places that lacks electricity. In the link that you provided, I have seen the shelf life of the vegetables (if put in zeer pot) extend comparable to the shelf life if the vegetables are put in a ref. This is great considering that there are no electricity being consumed.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kbriggss
I was inspired by this post to go out and buy the pots. I live in the Caribbean so the need for cheap refrigeration is essential. I'm trying the setup now as we speak so crossing my fingers. If it works here in our hot humid climate (60-90%) I will share with as many as possible. Thanks

Don't forget to share your findings here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join