It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Hollywood IS IT REALLY THAT HARD TO FIND ORIGINAL IDEAS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
STOP remaking movies!!!!!

I read ATS and there is seriously NO LACK of imagination amongst this species

unless of course its directed by Rob Zombie cause the Halloween remake was great

BUT STOP remaking awesome movies!!!!

Everyone in Hollywood who's involved in the remake of "The Thing" will burn in hell.

I'll see to it. I have connections

This movie is awesomely epic, better than epic!!!! - why mess with perfection?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Video link is not working.

As for them remaking movies, it's all about the money and you complaining about the remake of 'The Thing'? The John Carpenter movie was in fact, a remake.

I agree that many remakes are indeed a travesty and the list is endless, but there are a few that outshine the originals and that is why I watch em.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisX99

its just the trailer for the original "The Thing"
but its working fine on my end..

ETA: was it really a remake? you mean they're remaking a remake? WTF

seriously, I don't get the money making part - they got enough money, and made money with the first one, and I'm not going to pay to see something I've already seen

which by the way is the only reason I saw the remake of Halloween
cause I never saw the original - I wasn't a Micheal Myers fan, I liked Jason Vorhees ♥
edit on 26-9-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

2nd ETA - why not just remarket the old movie?
if the object is to bring attention to it, then do that

I mean ok, if the first one was as bad as the first Halloween - then remake it!

But there's nothing wrong with John Carpenter's version of "The Thing"

and I IMDB'd for the original - couldn't really find a match
did it have a different title? cause I'd like to see it

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Amen, the actors are worse sometimes and they # up the whole movie! But sometimes remakes are better, not always. Peace.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
One of my all time favorites. Almost impossible to find action movies like this one without any chicks in it. Another movie that I would like to see remade is the 1958 film The Vikings with Kirk Douglas. Just hope they don't screw it up like they did with Planet of the Apes.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
In the past year i have seen about 10 reboots/ remakes of campy movies from the 80's.. For example conan the barbarian.. Come on people!
If it sucked in the 80's.. It's going to STILL SUCK..

not to mention i am seeing the same pattern with TV series also.. Thundercats, Voltron, and the list go's on..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

And somebody dares to criticize ATS to bring some outlandish and crazy new ideas.
Hollywood!! just take a look...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

LOL no if it sucked in the 80's I might be more forgiving

now I saw the original "Arthur" - loved it - just saw the remake - its a totally different movie so why even call it Arthur? call it something else - it stands alone just fine - its not even close really except the names and general plot - in which case I'd like to point out that both "Emma" and "Clueless" were also as close, but have different names, playing off an old story - and I liked both movies and didn't feel a need to complain

Additionally, as for "The Thing" being a remake - different name!!! nearly different story from what I read

In 1982, John Carpenter made a more faithful version of the novella Who Goes There? under the title The Thing. It was already well-known that Carpenter was a fan of the original film, as he included considerable footage from it in his own Halloween.

Certain elements of Carpenter's film were heavily suggested by this film, including the "burning letters" opening titles.

Dig it

Though I'm also rethinking my rant slightly after reading this......

Universal Pictures made a prequel to Carpenter's 1982 version with the identical title of The Thing. The film is to be released October 2011 and will star Mary Elizabeth Winstead as protagonist Kate Lloyd, a character based on Margaret Sheridan's character Nikki Nicholson.

Why didn't they tell me it was a prequel in the commercial?

All this angst for nothing?
Now I kinda can't wait to see it

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I whole heartily agree with your sentiment. There's enough conspiracy ideas to make great movies right here at ATS!! I thought the Apollo 18 was a great idea for a movie, but with all the bad reviews I decided not to waste my money.

The battle of LA, was a disappointment. (Although my son enjoyed all the action in it). I would have rather of seen them build a story around the actual incident rather than another movie of aliens attacking earth.

Hollywood has really lost their creativity. Now the craze after the Spiderman Man and Batman movies, movie producers just jump on the bandwagon and start making movies about super heroes.

The last couple of movies I thought were creative and well done was Titanic and The Sixth Sense.

edit on 26-9-2011 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
OP Hollywood SUCKS! They are nothing but parasites. Consider
all of the symbols and sound entrainment they use in their movies
that are acting upon your subconscious. Low frequency, low
vibrations. They know exactly how to manipulate us.

Why do you think actors like Pitt and Jolie do all kinds of "charity"
work in their spare time? Out of guilt, no doubt, considering they
do nothing in their movies to uplift humanity. They have the opportunity
to reach a lot of people and do some real good, but they don't.
They just keep churning out low vibrational trash.
edit on 26-9-2011 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Titanic and The Sixth Sense.

Oh I really do love M Night movies - they all have good endings unless someone ruins it for you ahead of time
I think he was aware of that when he made "Lady in the Water" because the ending (while awesome) was too complicated really to explain without getting into the entire "leading up to"

For more awesome conspiracy type movies - check out this thread (shameless plug) - none of which are remakes that I'm aware of - except "The Crazies" - which has a remake - but I listed the original

oh and before I click reply - yeah, Titanic is totally worth the 4 hours just to watch that bote sink!

Other great 4 hour movies
- Gone With The Wind
- Intensity
--------Fox made for TV movie, near impossible to find, but nearly 100% true to Dean Koontz novel, if you can't find it you can get a brief summary with the wrong ending in the movie "High Tension", which was not too horrible, but definitely predictable.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
yup the thing 1951.. but JC version will always be the best

OP i have said this for years. Hollywood = money.
they must have a list of classic films, and just choose what cost little to make yet made three times back.
i am sure there is great ideas. just they are not guaranty
and Hollywood will only make guaranty's now it seems.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Hollyrock ceased to pretend they were about anything but profit quite some time ago. The OP is right, there is no shortage of creative genius in America. For the longest time it is the collective creative imagination that put this country in the upper layer. Sadly, the entertainment industry has long been led by well-schooled business majors who prize the bottom line return on investment over artistic integrity.

Those who love entertainment, be it movies, music, art or literature, will find food for their souls by ignoring the mainstream corporate offerings (for the most part) and seeking out works available via non-traditional outlets. Once more the internet is the one of many sources for those who reject the formulaic profit inspired products masquerading as inspired entertainment.

Look around online. Movies, check out IMDb or elsewhere for a list of Top 100 American classics, same for Foreign films. You will give yourself a good basic education and appreciation of real cinema. If you don't pay attention to Credits, begin doing so. Many of the better directors and producers names are affiliated with wide catalogs of better quality work, same goes for the actors and actresses in classic movies. One thing leads to another.

One can use similar means to unearth real artists for whatever genre interests them. Hollyrock is a profit churning machine using TV commercials to dupe the masses. There may always be brush whores like Thomas Kinkade, 'Painter of Light' churning out crap for profit, but anyone whose taste is not limited to their mouth can still visit galleries, museums and a plethora of artists sites online to view true artistic expression.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I dont see how "The Thing" (JC one) could be made anymore awesome than it already is. From watching the trailer for the new one, I see they added a girl as the main character.....I guess thats....alright, but if they change anymore of the story I doubt I will be going to see it in theaters.

Also, if there is one movie I could shield from a remake, I would choose "Aliens"....nothing can compete with that movie.
edit on 26-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

its just the trailer for the original "The Thing"
but its working fine on my end..

ETA: was it really a remake? you mean they're remaking a remake? WTF

seriously, I don't get the money making part - they got enough money, and made money with the first one, and I'm not going to pay to see something I've already seen

which by the way is the only reason I saw the remake of Halloween
cause I never saw the original - I wasn't a Micheal Myers fan, I liked Jason Vorhees ♥

2nd ETA - why not just remarket the old movie?
if the object is to bring attention to it, then do that

I mean ok, if the first one was as bad as the first Halloween - then remake it!

But there's nothing wrong with John Carpenter's version of "The Thing"

and I IMDB'd for the original - couldn't really find a match
did it have a different title? cause I'd like to see it

John Carpenters 'The Thing' is a remake of the movie 'The Thing from another World' released in 1951.

Wikipedia, check under 'in fiction'

I personally think that if you watch the original you will still like John Carpenters version better, as do I. But I guarentee that the people who watched it in 1951 thought it was awsome in the same way, that those people who watched Halloween back when the original was released, thought it was awsome. How do I know? It spawned a truckload of sequels and also was popular enough to attract Hollywood to do a remake.

Going to the point I made earlier about the money, if remakes were not profitable, they would not make them; period. An example of this is the massive number of movies that were 'going' to be franchises but due to the lacklustre performance of the starting movie, the idea was dropped. You can use google to check up on that if you like.

You may not wish to spend your money on going to see a movie you have already seen, but a vast number of people will go to see the remakes. Some of these people, like you in respect of halloween, didn't see the original so in their eyes, this is a new movie and the rest will go out of curiosity.

In respect of the new 'Thing' movie, it is not actually a remake but is in fact a prequel which supposedly details the events leading up to John Carpenters version. However, due to its lack of budget and noteworthy cast, I expect it to be pants. Despite this, I will still watch it, just to see if I am right or not.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The Manchurian Candidate that was a great movie. Thanks for directing me to some conspiracy movies I haven't seen. I'll have to check them out.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Alien!!! all of them were AWESOME

I bought quadrilogy when it first came out - best $75 I ever spent - probably actually cost me less than $1 per viewing at this point

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I will agree on one thing
sometimes its worth remaking - especially if its a foreign film

The Ring will NEVER be Ringu - but it was still pretty good - and introduced a whole new audience to Asian horror

I personally never got into anything foreign until then. Now, I just love Asian Horror - I do prefer the original versions to the remakes in most cases, but not all of them.

I do strongly recommend everyone see the original version of Shutter, way better, way creepier. Did not need to be remade (but if foreign isn't your thing, the american version was OK)

The acting was so incredibly bad in "One Missed Call" .... I only sat through it out of pure amazement - somehow they redid it near verbatim to the original script, but condensed it from 113 mins, and I stress it was word for word, into 87 mins

I did hear talk of an American version of "Oldboy" - I STRONGLY suggest everyone see the original before it comes out - and do yourself a favor - DO NOT READ SPOILERS

You have to go into Oldboy clueless to get the full effect.
Also, if I may suggest, watch it in its original language and read the subtitles. While the dubbing is pretty good (considering), there are a few nuances that are missed in the translation, and at least one scene that was just ... not right.

If you have Netflix, Oldboy is available instantly right now

ETA
Just in case no one watches it - One of the BEST fight scenes ever - from Oldboy - in true side scrolling fashion, which makes it that much cooler

ETA
turns out they finally settled on the remake, apparently its going to star Josh Brolin and Christian Bale... that might not be too bad

I pray its good
I really want people to see it
I hope they don't screw it up

Oldboy (2012 - Brolin/Bale)

top topics

join