It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber-terrorism? What a joke.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Well its 2:30pm Eastern Time and still the internet is still standing. I didn�t take much grain into this threat just because on the principles that the internet was built off of. It was built to be as robust as possible and guarantee that every bit of data would be passed as long as a physical link remained.

This whole cyber terrorism worry I think its blown so far out of perspective that its laughable. WE WILL survive a cyber terrorist attack and we will move on from any economic hiccup that ensues. Any attack that comes across the internet is going to be pretty weak unless they manage to actually affect infrastructure for a long period of time. Luckily that is damn near impossible because we can always unplug our connection and therefore protect vital systems.

Our biggest weaknesses are the public utilities I found a good article on Security Focus, that will shed some light on the possibilities of attacks on such a system. We do have some major security issues that definitely need to be addressed. Our utilities systems could be jeopardized if the proper precautions don't take place. Our financial system, I wouldn�t worry nearly as much just because they tend to have very redundant and secure networks which, in the event of a cyber terror hack, would be able to easily recoup from.

I guess my point is that although we DO have some major security holes and some critical systems can be compromised, we would still have our lives to live and move on with. We can recuperate from a cyber attack within day's and maybe able to prevent it while it�s happening. A chemical bomb for instance, will keep people away for weeks and months and reduce the population in that given area for the survivors because they will not want to live there anymore. It is much more affective and easier for someone to strategically place a bomb somewhere and attack our people vs. our computers. The economy will recover, peoples lives won�t.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I was thinking that earlier around 12... Where is the scary boogeyman??
Terrorists... I laugh at you turban wearing monkey's...
Frighten us with computer attacks.. ouch... Why don't you just stick to plan hijackings?? Oh wait you know that air marshalls will give you a royal beatdown so now your resorting to computer threats?? How pathetic... I spit in your face and if I could, i'd rub pig blood all over your face...

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
I was thinking that earlier around 12... Where is the scary boogeyman??
Terrorists... I laugh at you turban wearing monkey's...
Frighten us with computer attacks.. ouch... Why don't you just stick to plan hijackings?? Oh wait you know that air marshalls will give you a royal beatdown so now your resorting to computer threats?? How pathetic... I spit in your face and if I could, i'd rub pig blood all over your face...

Actualy, the Attack on the net was something fabricated by the WESTERN PRESS after a speech from the boss and founder of Kapersky Labs.

And all he said is that alot of Islamic and other sites have given rumour that they'll attack Israeli sites.

Its the dumbass western media that turned it into terrorists attacking the internet.

And btw, broadscale internet attacks ARE posible and the robustness of the net actualy helps in achieving them.

You only need to take out the 13 root DNS servers for longer then 9 hours to have a full scale site unavailability on the net.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by thematrix]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
did yo see south park last nighte thay sed on fox us had isued a terror warning, but over the weekend thay sed it was a joke

that was on southpark

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Hmm cyber threats, what a joke, you think the could hold it up. I doubt that they have any half decent computer users. We have some of the best in the world, by the time they have started there internet explorer, the BIOS would be half way to hell.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What harm could terrorist do by attacking the internet??? O.K maybe financial harm.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Ahem.

www.bbc.co.uk = down.

I don't think its part of a meltdown.. just some funny timing

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Even if BBC was down from cyber terrorist big deal. Take down one news source on the internet for a couple of hours. Whats that going to change? Nothing my dear friends nothing at all. Now if they shutdown playboy.com I maybe crying foul!

Drunk:
read the link that I posted in my intial posting that will tell you where we need to have some concern.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   
build319> i read it noone was killed in that "attack" to me a terrorist is purely "out for the kill".

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
That's my whole point really. Okay, attacking a financial network may do a little harm but the most damaging would be to screw up our critical systems. Water to every house, electricity and the such. Those are pretty severe but we'll still most likely live from them. In any account though a cyber terror attack would only cause small damage which can be recovered from very quickly.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is a 2 fold quandry. Was there a bit too much hype over this story? Maybe.

Should Cyber terror be underplayed? Absolutely not.

Most of our live's legal existence sits on a microchip somewhere. That microchip is not far from a modem...

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"Electronic Jihad" could not take place now. It would have been way too obvious the government did it.(our government)
Just think, why risk George's votes?
Hell, they're gonna wait till George steals the precidency again, THEN they'll sabotage the internet.
Y'all, make sure you vote for Bush.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The security of this is not to be underplayed its definately a true threat. But the actual damage from someone who would be considered a "cyber terrorist" won't be that significant and it won't last for very long.

dgtempe:
You really like to blame Bush for EVERYTHING don't you? Hey, I'm not claiming he's squeaky clean or anything but I would more likely consider a middle class 14yo fundamentalist who's got some puter skills vs our govt. deliberately sabotaging our economy.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by build319
The security of this is not to be underplayed its definately a true threat. But the actual damage from someone who would be considered a "cyber terrorist" won't be that significant and it won't last for very long.

dgtempe:
You really like to blame Bush for EVERYTHING don't you? Hey, I'm not claiming he's squeaky clean or anything but I would more likely consider a middle class 14yo fundamentalist who's got some puter skills vs our govt. deliberately sabotaging our economy.
you darn right he is. A la Hitler

top topics

join