It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Sea Scroll Available Online

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
If you have ever gone to see them live you understand why releasing them online is important. Most are kept in nitrogen filled viewers. The can only be exposed to very dim harmless light sources. No Photos. The duration of the light depends on how badly the individual pieces are degraded. Usually 9 to 20 seconds. Then dark period for a couple min. Then the lights can cycle again.

They tried handling them in a different manner and there was some damage. Oxidation, fading etc. Its a pretty interesting display. They have several different items from that time period including textiles and utilitarian items like clay lamps.

The other thing is there are several scrolls that haven't been pieced back together yet. They have table after table full of jigsaw fragments to put together. Some books they know they have a portion of still need to be completed.
edit on 27-9-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
The above two posts tell us enough?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Edited
Why bother....this religion garbage is beyond ridiculous and not worth my time to even comment on it.

edit on 26-9-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

Then why did you make this comment...........................? just to be disrespectful?
2nd

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by calman2278

The Dead Sea Scrolls were an amazing set of texts. I remember I took a class on them in undergrad and my professor explained so many things. They were believed to be the Essenes, one of the presumed sects archaeologists believe Jesus belonged too. There were other stories, especially an Armageddon like story, where there would be a battle between the forces of good and evil. It was very interesting.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Does anyone on here know who John Marco Allegro is? He was a translator on the DSS and released his findings decades ago. His findings did not quite "jive" with the Official Catholic Church translations.

Might be interesting to look him up.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
So, I went to the site where the digital scrolls are shown and I am a little confused where do I go to read them in enlgish
or was that NOT the purpose?>

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

What you need is 'The Dead Sea Scrolls: a New Translation' by Wise, Abegg and Cook

(PS The Holman QuickSource Guide to the Dead Sea Scrolls mentioned earlier has over 350 pages of background info in an accessible format.)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by Jordan River

What you need is 'The Dead Sea Scrolls: a New Translation' by Wise, Abegg and Cook

(PS The Holman QuickSource Guide to the Dead Sea Scrolls mentioned earlier has over 350 pages of background info in an accessible format.)

I have that book. I'm on pg 500. what about this holman?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
The most interesting and relevant result these scrolls could have is to turn an established system on its head and leave its followers lost in the rain...that is to say, to prove that all Judaism-related religions are fallacy (not that I believe such). Unfortunately, such a result has controversial benefits and detriments to the point of having being a convoluted massacre of unpredictable madness. Whether we would survive in civility, or simply revert to homo erectus, is beyond my discernment.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join