It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I didnt know where to put this, but does anyone understand domestic electric, im a bit desperate.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Im really sorry to have put this in this forum as it doesnt really belong here, but i couldnt really put it anywhere else. I have tried to google my problem but cant really find anything in plain english for dumbos like me, AND my dads on holiday.
Basically i have an extension lead in the kitchen (the really long circular ones that reel the wire back in), the fridge is plugged into it, and it is hidden under a kitchen unit, however unbeknown to myself but puppy got to it and decided to relieve him self on it. A couple of hours later i heard a bang, and saw smoke rising from the extension lead, I switched it off at the mains and pulled the plug out of , the plug was sooty, also the lights went off and the rcd onthe fusebox tripped. I reset it, checked the fuse on the plug and it looks like its blown. My question is, it is safe to put a new fuse in, is it likely the fridge will be fine.? I know it probably is, but im a bit nervous of electricity. Thanks in advance if anyone can help me. Also the switch for circuit tripped on the fusebox. Ta again.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
once you've cleaned up the mess (Liquid) and it's good and dry...
then yeah you can put a new fuse in... no probs... that's what their there for

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Since the moisture from the accident is apparently the root cause :

1. Don't reuse the extension until it is sufficiently moisture free it is shorting out on the water/moisture.

2. Try connecting using another extension cord if at all possible.

PEACE

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

yeah what this guy said.

Drag everything thats movable out of the way and clean up very well, if theres any damp by any connections, leave to dry before switching everything back on and replacing any fuses. Also carefully inspect (once dry) any visable wires for breaks or tears in the plastic, as unlikly as it might happen an accidentally crushed cable can have breaks or tears (particularly if you have pets with teeth, i had a pet lizard that loved to go for cables, he lived the TV did not).

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

yes he is correct,all should be ok.replace fuses and reset breakers if any.replace or repair needed on that cord.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
once you've cleaned up the mess (Liquid) and it's good and dry...
then yeah you can put a new fuse in... no probs... that's what their there for

Thought so, i just needed to doubly check because im a bit stupid with things like this, and im a mum on her own and have to make sure my kids are safe.
Thanks so much.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Thankyou!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Thanks everyone, thread closed methinks.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

my daughter had a pet rabbit that loved to eat wires...
you would think it would have killed that rabbit but no...
chewed away at anything within reach.... it'll be okay... been there done that... you'll be laughing about this a week from now

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
also hello fellow person of Cymru

Both my parents are from there, one from the north and one from the south, i live in england and didnt learn the launguage as i had school second launguage to deal with - i would love to be a speaker.

DaddyBare - you hear storys of pets electrified, though when it comes to it its always the TV that bites the dust!!!! I wasnt very sentimental the GF was, sorry but a new pet is cheaper than a new tv LOL
edit on 26-9-2011 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join