It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mars 500 Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
There are a couple of threads already on ATS about this project, but I wanted to add a bit more and bring it up anew as the crew of this "mission" is only two months away from their "arrival back on earth".

In a nutshell, a crew of six "marsonauts" are being (have been) isolated for nearly a year-and-a-half in the chamber pictured below:

This is being done in order to test the psychological and physical effects of isolation on subjects who would have to endure a long-duration flight to Mars and back.

This is something that has never been done before and I am surprised at the seeming lack of interest or publicity about it.

Here too, is a video I found showing the interior of the chamber in which these 'marsonauts" are being isolated:

When contemplating missions beyond Low Earth Orbit, such as to the Moon and Mars, daily crew life and operational capabilities may be affected by the hazardous space environment, the need for full autonomy and resourcefulness, the isolation, the interaction with fellow crewmembers and other aspects. A better understanding of these aspects is essential for development of the elements necessary for an exploration mission.

Source of above quote, and a more lengthy and detailed description of the project.

Other threads:

By: Rock Ape
By: JanusFIN

...if anyone has another thread, please post it! I would like to hear more discussion of this mission, what we could learn from it, and even, how such a thing could be a prime host for future conspiracy theories of faked Mars missions.

All I can say is bravo! to the six people who elected for this near-18 month long isolation for the sake of science. Incredible.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
S &F!!

I have been very intrigued with this story since it began!!!

They have actually recruited for the 500 already and so far. I believe, 400 have signed.

Of course this is a one way trip, and that makes it all the more daring...

I agree; this should have waaay more exposure!!!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Did you see this? We plan to "throw" things up to Mars using sort of a sling shot.

I know....crazy but watch the video!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

It's nice to know that space exploration is far from being 'dead', even with the retirement of our beloved space shuttles.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
reply to post by newcovenant

It's nice to know that space exploration is far from being 'dead', even with the retirement of our beloved space shuttles.

If they gave the citizens of earth 10 billions dollars and 5 years we would be ready to be on Mars.

We are smart enough, it's just that politicians and people with side agendas always hold us back.

They want to control a certain era before things move too far forward.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Yet, who can control space? With so many people having easy access to technology and information far greater than anything we had on our mission to the moon, the privatization of space-based missions/tourism cannot be far away.

I hope anyway.

new topics

top topics

join