It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you give up your freedoms just to be safe?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well since the search option on this board isn't working at the moment I'm going to go ahead and post this.

We all know now what the Patriot Act is used for and if there's another terrorist attack the government will more than likely turn this country in a police state. By doing this it will take away our civil right, our freedom and our constitutional rights by monitoring everything we do. They're probably doing it to an extent already. My question is this. Are you willing to give up your freedoms just to be "safe?" I will never in a million years give my rights up. Why?

Regardless of who's responsible for terrorist attacks in this country, whether it's our own government or the terrorist, on thing is for certain. You give up your freedoms and your constitutional rights you're letting the bad guy win. How? Let's just say for the moment that Al Quada was solely responsible for 9/11. Why do terrorist around the world hate us? They hate us because we're a free country. Well if we give up our freedoms then we are giving the terrorist exactly what we want.

That's why I appose the Patriot Act and a police state. Many people don't seem to understand this. Yes, you will be safe but at the same time you've let the terrorist win anyways. If we we're attacked on 9/11 because they hate our freedoms then I say no to the Patriot Act. I'm not giving up my freedoms for the terrorist. I hope you don't either. Stand up for your constitutional rights and your freedoms. Don't give the terrorist what they want regardless of who they are.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by mrmulder]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Definitely not............Not now, not ever, there is always a way to deal with war without interfering with freedoms.

The war is a war on terror, since when does the word "terror" justify the taking away of our freedoms... As if we should be scared in our boots and make a trade? They are by far, blowing this out of proportion, they are by far hammering certain catch phrases, and fearful words into our heads to make us think that this is the way we need to go...

It's bs...

[edit on 26-8-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Protecting freedom through control of the people one is attempting to provide freedom for? Is this one of those 'loop' word puzzles?

The below sentence is false.
The above sentence is true.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
NO, I woould not give up freedoms to be save. America is not great because of it's people, it's great because of it's freedom. I will fight to the death to protect your right to spit in my face and call me a baby killer. As much as I can't understand Kerry, I would fight for his right as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Wisen up people. You (whether willingly or unwillingly) have already given up your freedoms. Take a look around you. Tell me that speech is still free, the press is still free, the media is still free. Hell NO! There is nothing left that the gov't does not control. It's punishable now to object your leader (see the several stories about protesters and demonstrators being arrested or losing thier jobs). The more that the people buy into the constant barrage of "threats" everyday, the more the bog gov't will be able to choke out any liberties we have left. They have the sheople of this country so struck with fear that they don't realize that they are no longer a part of a free society. Try to go to an airport without some government goon on a power trip feel you up, force you to take off your shoes, pull you out of line for NO REASON, and humiliate you. Don't give me that same old BS about keeping the airports safe. They aren't any safer now than they were before 9-11. Just that now you have to get there 3 hours early so you can get into the cattle line in time.

Face it people, you are giving up your liberties whether you want to or not. If you refuse you will be arrested or killed. Cold hard fact!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
Face it people, you are giving up your liberties whether you want to or not. If you refuse you will be arrested or killed. Cold hard fact!

Yup, and you can thank the complacent ignorance that people have fallen victim to, choosing the lesser of both evils, when both evils have voted "yay" to the patriot act...

Don't kids yourselves people, keep voting your apathetic little heart out and giving into suggestive thoughts and one day in your dreamy little world one of those two parties will give them all back!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

Originally posted by mpeake

Yup, and you can thank the complacent ignorance that people have fallen victim to, choosing the lesser of both evils, when both evils have voted "yay" to the patriot act...

Don't kids yourselves people, keep voting your apathetic little heart out and giving into suggestive thoughts and one day in your dreamy little world one of those two parties will give them all back!

exactly!!!

Hmmmm...what should I eat for lunch today? Warm sh*t or cold sh*t?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well I'm voting for what I believe is right. Oh wait a minute! That's right. My vote doesn't count anymore. Darn! Screw the government!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmulder
Well I'm voting for what I believe is right. Oh wait a minute! That's right. My vote doesn't count anymore. Darn! Screw the government!

I'm a republican, no wait, i'm a democrat, either way, the job is to herd the sheep.... ba-ah-ah-ah...

I guess i'm a sell out because I don't vote the lesser of two evils, damn it, why did they have to go and brainwash everybody, now I can't vote for what I truly believe... Well, I guess i'm just going to have to sell out to one for the two devil's and buy into one of their bs promises, cuz that's what everyone else is doing.....

Nice logic.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I'm a republican, no wait, i'm a democrat, either way, the job is to herd the sheep.... ba-ah-ah-ah...

I guess i'm a sell out because I don't vote the lesser of two evils, damn it, why did they have to go and brainwash everybody, now I can't vote for what I truly believe... Well, I guess i'm just going to have to sell out to one for the two devil's and buy into one of their bs promises, cuz that's what everyone else is doing.....

Nice logic.

You and MPeake are correct but are you willing to go to the extend as surrending to a police state or martial law. What I mean by that is Police and Military blocking every road and checkpoint and putting you into a concentration camp?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

You and MPeake are correct but are you willing to go to the extend as surrending to a police state or martial law. What I mean by that is Police and Military blocking every road and checkpoint and putting you into a concentration camp?

That's a question you should ask yourself... This will happen one way or another if bush gets in or if kerry gets in. both parties voted in the patriot act, the libertarians are the only ones that will take it away.. I know what will happen do you?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I guess I don't understand your question. IMO we are going to get to that point whether we like it or not. Of course I don't want to get in a situation where we have highway checkpoints and militarized zones. But nothing that our next pres (Kerry or Bush) is going to do will lead us down a different path. At their core, they both represent BIG GOVERNMENT. Take away their stances of global terror, or the economy, or tax cuts, or gay marraiges, or drug wars, or education. The theme of the Republicans and Democrats is MORE POWER! More federal control in YOUR lives. The blindfold is tide tightly around this countries eyes already, and neither of these two thugs are gonna take it off for us. The longer we allow the media to tell us who to vote for (which in reality it's the government and the rich elite who are telling the media who to even talk about inth first place) the longer we will keep that blindfold on. The longer we feel that we are "throwing our vote away" everytime we don't vote rep or dem, the longer we will be left with a "lesser of two evils" scenerio. Why do we even want to be in that position I'll never know!
We are in a country were we actually have a voice and we continue to silence ourselves by not doing our own homework, researching the issues and voting our beleifs. Perhaps, in the end, we deserve what we get.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I'm not giving up my freedoms for the terrorist. I hope you don't either. Stand up for your constitutional rights and your freedoms. Don't give the terrorist what they want regardless of who they are.

I'm with you on this mrmulder. You're exactly correct in saying the terrorists win if we let go of our freedoms. That's the point. And ya know what, I'm far more afraid of the U.S. government than any friggin' terrorists.

In the words of a seriously wise dude:

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Don't kids yourselves people, keep voting your apathetic little heart out

This statement makes no sense. If one votes, it cannot be said he is apathetic.

and giving into suggestive thoughts and one day in your dreamy little world one of those two parties will give them all back!

Ditto on this statement. Care to clarify?

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
How is voting lp giving into the terrorists... You have NO idea what your talking about, the defense would be just as good, that wouldn't go anywhere, obviously this is a serious situation....

And kid, your using ol benji's quote in the wrong terms.....You fools are giving up your frikkin freedoms for safety by voting in kerry or bush.... DUH!!!

They BOTH voted in the patriot act......when will you learn... when will you learn... *shakes head* I'm sorry you guys still don't understand, I didn't know the blanket they pulled over your eyes was so thick!!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Calm down and start trying to make some sense.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Don't kids yourselves people, keep voting your apathetic little heart out

This statement makes no sense. If one votes, it cannot be said he is apathetic.

Yes it does... In terms of voting the "lesser of two evil" it does... But apathy doesn't identify itself...

and giving into suggestive thoughts and one day in your dreamy little world one of those two parties will give them all back!

Ditto on this statement. Care to clarify?

Are you on something?? Or trying to be funny??

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you because you cut out the first part of the sentence.. That's only the last part, the two need to connect in order to understand fully and completely... I'll wait.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Those statements don't make sense. Look up the word apathetic. Use it correctly or don't use it at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
Calm down and start trying to make some sense.

Actually if you can't understand simple logic and reasonable discussion, then I can't talk to you anymore.. It's not hard to understand, i'm not a complicated person, I try and use the k.i.s.s method, if you can't understand that, then I can completely understand why your voting for kerry...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join