It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edible Carbon Dioxide Sponge: All-Natural Nanostructures Could Address Pressing Environmental Proble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Edible Carbon Dioxide Sponge: All-Natural Nanostructures Could Address Pressing Environmental Problem

www.sciencedaily.com

A year ago Northwestern University chemists published their recipe for a new class of nanostructures made of sugar, salt and alcohol. Now, the same team has discovered the edible compounds can efficiently detect, capture and store carbon dioxide. And the compounds themselves are carbon-neutral.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.sciencedaily.com
www.sciencedaily.com

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Here is an interesting development that I am predicting will be reegineered to rely on proprietary chemicals to ensure maximum profit. It also represents an avenue of research that those wishing to trade in "carbon credits" will reject utterly... one way or the other.

It's called a "metal-organic-framework" or MOF. Its chemical properties are such that CO2 is reactively sucked into the structure. And remains there until a stronger force (say a vacuum of CO2) draws the 'sequestered' or 'captured' CO2 to dissipate from it.

Sounds high tech? It isn't.

(It occurred to me to add that the components above are sugar, salt, ethanol, and water. There may be a problem if we consider that ethanol and sugar are agricultural products which could be diverted from food and made into industrial components... thus engendering the same situation we face now with much of our corn being made into a fuel from which no one but the petroleum industry profits.....)

The formula has obviously been published.. and I think thaty if the right people study this, the energy, and financial cartels, along with the big chemical "captains of industry" will be powerless to proceed with their latest effort to create wealth from imposing the consequences of nature on us.

Imagine if you will using this material, which can be made in the kitchen, and creating a lattice which could offfset you family's carbon emmissions, thus making you immune from taxation... think they would let that happen? Probably not. They would rather we continue to suffer the consequences of their economic answer, than allow a low-profit solution to stand in the way of their investments....

Sometimes good news can be drawn from the most unlikely places. Bon appétit!

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-9-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Great find! Things like this need to be widely practiced.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Edible Carbon Dioxide Sponge

Yeah, it's called plant life. ZING!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This is etremely cool! But what do we excrete after we eat it?

I mean does it create any gaseus excretions that are worse from our digestion?

Also... I assume there is no real nutritional value to it besides calories, so couldn't this also be used as a good way to perhaps give those starving people around the planet some empty calorie energy at least?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

sounds like a cool booze pill.

can ya catch a buzz?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I'm not sure how much sarcasm is floating around, but just in case there is a genuine, non-rhetorical question out there....

This is not MEANT to be eaten, the point is that the technology is both organic and non-toxic; as opposed to most other solutions out there....

Sorry if that seemed like it shouldn't need to be said, but I get the impression that many are purposefully missing the point, which leads me to think perhaps these kinds of news items are unwelcome.

new topics

top topics

join