It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtual monkeys write Shakespeare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

First of all, tell me what you think after reading this for the first time. Then, re-read the article and tell me if your outlook appears different. I'll tell you my own thoughts but I don't want to spoil it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
What they are proving is that with Intelligently directed parameters, there might be a chance of getting this done in a reasonable manner, as long as they accept small failures. That is all.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I read that earlier tonight. It doesn't seem right to just look for bits of shakespeare and put it together like a jigsaw. I'd assumed the original idea for the experiment wanted the complete works of Shakespeare done in the correct order for it to count.

Great article though. I laughed out loud at the end.

After the equivalent of billions and billions and billions of monkey years the simulated apes had only produced part of a line from Henry IV, Part 2.

Also in 2003, Paignton Zoo carried out a practical test by putting a keyboard connected to a PC into the cage of six crested macaques. After a month the monkeys had produced five pages of the letter "S" and had broken the keyboard.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that evolution without intelligent design is accurate.

/sarcasm

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

This is an interesting thread as well
math.stackexchange.com...

I will also be back to tell you what I think.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well anyone this article seemed deceptive to me. They have a picture of a monkey, and they are talking about monkeys writing Shakespeare, but it is 'virtual' monkeys, i.e. fake monkeys, computer programs that are meant to imitate monkeys pounding on the key board.

But they don't hesitate to say things like

Mr Anderson's monkeys are generating random nine-character strings....

Mr. Anderson's monkeys huh? You mean the computer programs?

Mr Anderson's virtual monkeys are small computer programs uploaded to Amazon servers. These coded apes regularly pump out random sequences of text.

It took me two times reading this to realize that virtual monkey just mean computer.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Does anyone else see the irony with "Mr. Anderson" working with virtual monkeys?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
Does anyone else see the irony with "Mr. Anderson" working with virtual monkeys?
Yes, in a matter of nano-second fact... I can prove why I see the irony in my EYE... here... let me tweet some @digiwit to U

Mr X-ULTRA/MONKEY-BOT@reply... asking what U really meant by that twit?... (respond@ blah blah blah)WHAT DO U MEAN YOU DIDN'T BRAIN EJACULATION THAT TO ME...
... I just showed my girlfriend at the disco
club what you responded... Twitter doesn't Lie... It's right on my screen

edit on 26-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: Sorry for interruption of this post... Something got in the middle of it before it got to U.

new topics

top topics

join