It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Timeline Moves Closer to the Creepy Line

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
So what? I know Facebook can see all my stuff. I really doubt they are going to look at me, out of all the people on facebook and be like.. That's a guy we need to keep our eyes on.. Be logical.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JELLYWAX

You must not know too much about computers, or why they are tracking you. You are a product, that is being sold to governments and big banks.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by w810i
Wow...you people seriously are freaking out over what amounts to nothing. Do you think what you post on here is not just as trackable as FB??

As others have pointed out, most of us could live with the previous intrusions of FB, as we like the service and it's free. The new timeline opens up a new can of worms... people who say this existed before don't understand it yet.

The difference with ATS is I know the government could care less about me or much of this website, I worry about my boss and future employers - the people who will search me out. FB opens that up further with timeline, ATS is still anonymous. (And I'm a good person I just don't like mixing my personal and professional lives on principal).

BTW - The real enemy on ATS is Hollywood and lazy journos.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MrSmokeydogg7

You're right. We're dumb. We trusted a corporation and now we get to be bullied for being stupid when the corporation changed the rules.

Thanks for that, feel good about yourself now?

Facebook lied. Our safety zone to share family photos with only family is gone, now any creep can see my kids with Timeline.
edit on 27-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JELLYWAX

I worry about HR depts, overzealous managers, perverts.... the government is my last concern, but its on the list.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by 4thhorsemen

You can delete your profiles

www.facebook.com...

Deletion
When you delete an account, it is permanently deleted from Facebook. It typically takes about one month to delete an account, but some information may remain in backup copies and logs for up to 90 days.

but they keep the info for up to 90 days, my only query is what is the information they keep and why is it kept for 90 days?

is it so that if a crime is committed in the area you are in they can keep an eye on everyone in the area within a 90 day gap?

or

is it so that suspects in criminal investigations can be have a tracked record for nearly 3 months on them?

who knows............. but surely it shouldn't take 1 full month to delete an account.

My itunes library overall file size is a hell of a lot bigger than my face-book profile and can be deleted in less than 5 minutes with a single click of a button.............. so why should it take 1 month..........

To be perfectly honest, i think that is a violation of privacy when someone wants their account deleted and facebook hold it for a lengthy period of time. When someone clicks delete it should be gone from that moment onwards, all information disintegrated. I think that could be worth a complaint???

What ya'll think?

peace

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88

Originally posted by w810i
Wow...you people seriously are freaking out over what amounts to nothing. Do you think what you post on here is not just as trackable as FB??

As others have pointed out, most of us could live with the previous intrusions of FB, as we like the service and it's free. The new timeline opens up a new can of worms... people who say this existed before don't understand it yet.

The difference with ATS is I know the government could care less about me or much of this website, I worry about my boss and future employers - the people who will search me out. FB opens that up further with timeline, ATS is still anonymous. (And I'm a good person I just don't like mixing my personal and professional lives on principal).

BTW - The real enemy on ATS is Hollywood and lazy journos.

I have the new timeline still don't see an issue. In fact I like it a hell of a lot better over the previous version of FB. You do realize that you could still backtrack posts clear to the beginning right with the older versions of FB, all it took was some know how. I dare say the government is going to care more about what you post on a site like ATS then FB.

As far as being worried about FB it seems like a lot of you have an above average opinion of yourself to think someone is going to be overly interested in your FB posts.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by w810i

I think I am right in saying the issue is that this update means that no longer are you fully in control of your own privacy - if your friend (called Bob from now on) hasn't set his privacy settings correctly - then bobs friend "Sue" can see anything you post or comment on from bobs wall, but most annoyingly can also see anything where Bob has commented on MY WALL or photos. That's right - Sue and everyone else in the same boat as her will be able to see my information - despite me not knowing Sue and not wanting her to do so because she is a stranger - all because of Bob and everyone like Bob who cannot be bothered to set privacy correctly!!!

Yet to you that is acceptable? If it was why not just open it up for everyone yourself? Oh - that's right...it's because I DON'T want to.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by quackers
reply to post by FaceLikeTheSun

That's as may be but it would be old info and the less you pimp yourself out to a bunch of people you probably never even.met the better eh?

"pimp yourself out"...that's very true... one of the reasons why i deactivated my account within few months of usage as i prefer to keep a low profile in real life so definitely a thing like fb can never portray a correct representation of you and it is an entirely unnatural environment which is not conducive for real friendships. there's such a thing like self-esteem and modesty too...
what i felt was that it gave you a false illusion of connectivity with people but in reality that "feeling" wasn't there because of fb. i wish to stay away from social networking completely and all kinds of information overload on internet.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
"Facebook is the most appalling spy machine that has ever been invented." Julian Assange
Source: thenextweb.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

You're right. We're dumb. We trusted a corporation and now we get to be bullied for being stupid when the corporation changed the rules.

Facebook lied. Our safety zone to share family photos with only family is gone, now any creep can see my kids with Timeline.

you damn right your dumb for trusing a corporation

their are tons of other ways to share family photos with your family here ill list them

1 email
2 actually go visit them and show them the photos
3 text
4 mail

im sure theirs more but who cares

also i have the timeline and im still able to set photos to friends only so wtf are you bitching about

if your so pissed about it show it by deleting your facebook its a free service your not forced to use it so how its invading your privacy i will never know

if i came into your home and watched u sleep or checked your mail or peeped in your windows thats invading your privacy

i understand being upset with rule changes but thats whats great about the usa you can choose rather or not to continue using the service and no one can stop you from doing so

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

if its a huge issue delete it or go through and set the privacy setting.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Wow. Did you not read my post at all?
To reiterate - the privacy is no longer JUST UNDER YOUR CONTROL - but at the mercy of all your "friends".
Me - I won't be using it anymore simple as that - but that is not the point. It is a clear breach of privacy that most people just have no idea about.

Originally posted by MrSmokeydogg7

their are tons of other ways to share family photos with your family here ill list them

1 email
3 text
4 mail

also i have the timeline and im still able to set photos to friends only so wtf are you bitching about

NO - READ THIS AND UNDERSTAND.
I think I am right in saying the issue is that this update means that no longer are you fully in control of your own privacy - if your friend (called Bob from now on) hasn't set his privacy settings correctly - then bobs friend "Sue" can see anything you post or comment on from bobs wall, but most annoyingly can also see anything where Bob has commented on MY WALL or photos. That's right - Sue and everyone else in the same boat as her will be able to see my information - despite me not knowing Sue and not wanting her to do so because she is a stranger - all because of Bob and everyone like Bob who cannot be bothered to set privacy correctly!!!

if your so pissed about it show it by deleting your facebook its a free service your not forced to use it so how its invading your privacy i will never know - Again see above. I set privacy to friends only, Timeline overides this by making me at the mercy of my friends settings - if they have friends of friends or public and comment on my photo - all their friends or EVERYONE can see my photos. Not what I wanted at all.

if i came into your home and watched u sleep or checked your mail or peeped in your windows thats invading your privacy

i understand being upset with rule changes but thats whats great about the usa you can choose rather or not to continue using the service and no one can stop you from doing so

But why should we be made to stop using a perfectly good medium to share photos with family because Facebook deem it necessary to force users private comments and photos to become available to all by default settings that overide whatever privacy we have setup.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The point of this post, and why I find Timeline scarier than Facebook tracking you when offline is that Timeline can actually get you fired or not get offered a job, just for being yourself. This is serious. I deactivated my account today (I did not delete it because I need to reactive for work stuff when needed).

People are now waking up to this far greater invasion of privacy. And I say it's far greater because millions of us trusted Facebook to not open our profiles wide-open for the world to see, we knew there were risks but we were okay with those known risks - now everyone has your personal details, tidbits of you life, pictures of your kids, through friends-of-friends feature in Timeline.

From Harvard Business Review:

You'll know too much about your colleagues: If the folks in the C-suite have remained largely inscrutable until now, expect at least some of them to fall prey to Facebook's enhanced charms. Just as it's hard to resist mugging for a camera, it may be hard to resist Facebooking just to make your Timeline look prettier, more interesting, or simply less food-centric. That can easily lead to oversharing — which is especially problematic if the person sharing Too Much Information is the public face of your organization. And you don't have to be the CEO to worry. The Timeline lays so much out in a browsable form that you need to assume that it will be used as part of hiring processes, client assessments, and even just colleagues wanting to know the name of your new puppy.

Source: blogs.hbr.org...

edit on 29-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Thanks, glad you feel good about yourself. It takes a bigger person to put themselves out there rather than ridicule... all your suggestions while valid miss the point entirely of this thread.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Wake Up Everyone - Right Now! Get your coffee, do your push-ups, take a shower, whatever you do - WAKE UP.

Here's the new workaround to regain some of your privacy, but wow! It's going to be time consuming to take back a secure responsible Facebook profile.

You can take full advantage of Timeline without oversharing yourself. If you want to build a Facebook Timeline as a personal scrapbook or intimate communications channel, set up an "inner circle" friends list and make it your default level of privacy for all your posts, or even set your default privacy levels to "only me."

Source: blogs.hbr.org...
edit on 29-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by facchino
reply to post by w810i

Wow. Did you not read my post at all?
To reiterate - the privacy is no longer JUST UNDER YOUR CONTROL - but at the mercy of all your "friends".
Me - I won't be using it anymore simple as that - but that is not the point. It is a clear breach of privacy that most people just have no idea about.

Originally posted by MrSmokeydogg7

1 email
3 text
4 mail

NO - READ THIS AND UNDERSTAND.

if your so pissed about it show it by deleting your facebook its a free service your not forced to use it so how its invading your privacy i will never know - Again see above. I set privacy to friends only, Timeline overides this by making me at the mercy of my friends settings - if they have friends of friends or public and comment on my photo - all their friends or EVERYONE can see my photos. Not what I wanted at all.

But why should we be made to stop using a perfectly good medium to share photos with family because Facebook deem it necessary to force users private comments and photos to become available to all by default settings that overide whatever privacy we have setup.

Good for you. FB will undoubtedly not miss your useage. You want to get technical LIFE is a clear breach of your privacy. So carry on.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowZion

I think the reason your information may be kept up to 90 days is because of backups on their servers...they regularly backup the data, and keep older copies in case of a crash, or virus, or other reason why data may be corrupted.

What I found most disturbing about Timeline is that they are asking people to fill in the blanks to their lives before they signed on to FB. The data Zuck has gathered over the years from 2007 isn't enough; now people will voluntarily add details right back to birth. There's even a blank space to put your baby picture!

I use FB to keep in touch with friends I wouldn't normally see; I don't use it to "tell my life's story" (their description of Timeline). My reaction was to start deleting old posts and pictures. One nice thing about Timeline; it's easier to delete all your old stuff. It took awhile, but now I only have a few posts up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join