It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Timeline Moves Closer to the Creepy Line

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

"A fart in the wind", hehehehe

Seriously though, you may have a problem because you can't control your friends and their friends, who now have insight into the interactions between the two.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Funny, I don't go to my facebook too often, but did this morning and a friend had this posted:

FOR REAL) Please do me a favor: please hover over my name here, wait for the box to load and then hover over the "Subscribe" link. Then uncheck the "Comments and likes" choice. I would rather my comments on friends' posts not be made public. Thanks** Then repost if you don't want your EVERY MOVE posted on the right for everyone to see!
I'll do the same for you if you want. just click "like."
Thank you!!

So, I guess this is what you have to do. I am thinking every one of her friends has to do this individually for it to work. I wasn't going to bother, but I will now.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I thouht people knew if you put info on the internet it is on the internet seems like people have forgoten that.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Have to wonder sometimes ... how much like high school FB anyway? It just keeps getting worse...

*Mental image: bunch of geeks sitting around thinking up ways to instigate drama and then laugh themselves stupid when it works better then they imagined and then, high-fiving their buddies and thinking up new ways to create more drama... bunch of voyeurs getting a thrill.

I hate FB and wish it would die, but for now it is the reality we live with. Work with it, or avoid it but either way, you need to learn it what makes it tick, to make it work for you...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I only post music to facebook and lyrics to songs, nothing more then that, so whatever this timeline is, it will most likely just show me old songs.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

This is what I mean about a tool that causes more harm than good. I know no-one has any reason to believe me, but I just sit minding my own business, getting on with my life and being a good parent, and wham, these people I try to protect me and my family from are sending the police to my house for things I've never even thought about let alone perpetrated.
But, I AM torn, because all my friends and family uses it, barely anyone uses G+.
But the compromise of my privacy is a price to pay for the right to use it for free? No thanks. I'd rather be a recluse lol

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
FOR REAL) Please do me a favor: please hover over my name here, wait for the box to load and then hover over the "Subscribe" link. Then uncheck the "Comments and likes" choice. I would rather my comments on friends' posts not be made public. Thanks** Then repost if you don't want your EVERY MOVE posted on the right for everyone to see!
I'll do the same for you if you want. just click "like." Thank you!!

This is floating around everywhere, most people are just copy/pasting the message - I've seen it on multiple accounts. It's a step in the right direction...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
I thouht people knew if you put info on the internet it is on the internet seems like people have forgoten that.

Yeah, true, true, but on facebook, you have privacy options that I guess we hope work the way they are supposed to. I personally signed up with only allowing my FB friends the ability to see what I write, or post. You can also allow friends of friends, but that opens up a lot of doors, and obviously if you allow everyone well, you won't be worried about this issue at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Not so creepy if you refuse to use it,
or are using a fake name with minimal pictures.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

That's just it, each person has to do that for each friend (a lot of work, no?) - and friends who are like, whatever, like how you reacted, have left your friend open so your friends and watch the two of you interact.

Irresponsible friends will let this slide and allow their unknown friends to follow your interactions. It's creepy. Plain and simple.

And take this example. A friend of mine is an accomplished artists, he's got thousands of Facebook friends on his profile. Years ago I got request from a dude who claimed we went to HS together - we didn't. I saw he was friends with two of my real friends including this artist. I contacted both mates, and one said he'd get rid of him, the artist (who considers himself a walking brand of sorts) send he didn't care and to live and let live.

Well now, this scumbag lair he's friends with can access our interactions, thereby deliberately superseding restrictions I had put in place - ie> not friending him. My only course of action now is to delete the artist friends because he has no control of his network.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

In total agreement. Cheers.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

It shows the actions of all your friends and what they are doing with their other not shared friends. It's creepy.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It's something I agree, and that's better than nothing. But will each of your friends do that. Likely no. My thinking is best course of action is to de-friend anyone with 400 or more friends - people don't know that many people well.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Default setting for timeline to work - everyone sees friends-of-friends now. There's no turning it off.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

No, of course they will not all take the time to do this (sadly) and it is not an acceptable "fix" to the issue, but hopefully it will - at least - create some awareness. Those who care will begin to look at ways around it and those who don't will go on as always...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I just perma-deleted mine. Not many people, for some reason, were willing to unsubscribe for me, despite knowing the things people have done through Facebook to me, and it put it into perspective that people don't actually give a crap

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

If FB and the people using it are giving you so much grief - I agree, get off it. It's not worth it.

You made me think of a huge creep factor... bullying of school kids that can now happen even easier with these new features... damn, FB designers and engineers really are dumb about real life social aspects and interactions. They are geeks safe behind monitors in their made up world. It's was great tool, but now it has gone too far.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Unfortunately bullying is made much easier by Facebook, since anyone can make an account, and most people are quite happy to add people they don't know. And unfortunately, it's not just children that are bullied anymore.
Good bye Facebook. So long, and thanks for all the f-.... thanks for nothing!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This is actually confusing me. Well, sorta. I kinda understand it and I don't. So, what if I had a friend on my list and we shared no mutual friends whatsoever. And I have haven't interacted with them in awhile. No comments on statuses, pictures. No likes. No "pokes". Nothing. And they haven't interacted with me as well. Would they and their friends still see any activity from me? Also, to see what one has been saying to others, you'd have to go to their profile. It doesn't show on the newsfeed....right?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Shawny2222

If you were friends with someone I knew but we were not friends, and your profile was set to private, including all posts and photos etc, if our friend posted a comment on something on your profile, I could see it in my timeline.
If you had no friends in common with that person, then they wouldn't see anything, since none of their friends would know you and none of your friends would know them lol
At the moment, there are no settings for the time line, and it's set by default to show all posts to friends of friends, with no option to change it.
If you have a friend on your list, no matter when you last spoke to them, they will see everything unless they unsubscribe from your comments and likes.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join