It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Timeline Moves Closer to the Creepy Line

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Facebook's Timeline user interface is raising eyebrows and heart rates from media and pundits who fear the social network is becoming a little too revealing.

When he was Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG) CEO, current Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt took a lot of flak in the media for a comment he made at an event at the Newsuem in Washington, D.C., last October.

Schmidt, responding to a question about the possibility of Google developing some kind of neurological implant, replied: "Google policy is to get right up to the...

www.eweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I know Facebook is a reviled topic around here, though it is a force to be reckoned with an cannot be ignored by ATS members because of what it represents - privacy fears, anonymity gone, people as commodities, vanity, ect...

So because Facebook is here to stay, let's look at one really bad example of where it's going - "timeline."

I have the new timeline capabilities because I installed a developer program to see the new features, most people will see these features in the next several weeks as an auto update. The timeline takes your profile and puts it in a new context, as this quote explains:

"It's a contextual identity; something you won't get from a real name, a passport, an ID card, or even a DNA profile. Whereas previously profiles were a collection of hand-picked pieces of information coupled with some things you'd shared recently, now you'll see wedding photos, pictures of drunken nights on the town four years ago, and perhaps a status update you made when you were hurt and upset after something you've long forgotten that happened in 2006 – mixed up with more professional status updates and links, of course."

And that's a major dilemma users are facing as Facebook prepares for its worldwide launch of Timeline. Users can control what they do now and act in a professional, appropriate manner.

Another problem, one I find more disturbing, is that an old work around is now gone from Facebook. Meaning, if I comment on my college roommate's phote from years ago and decide to use some salty language - well ok, no big whoop. Only his friends and our shared friends will see it - not my boss or my professional network. (Don't ask, I am required to use Facebook for aspects of work).

Now though, "friend-of-friends" can see what you comment on and see the picture. They can see you comments on other people's status that never had access to previous - essentially, what I'm saying is, the stalking ability on Facebook just went up 100 percent, and everyone can now see what you write and where - privacy is gone with timeline.

So, I know these threads get the typical, "I hate Facebook," "I deleted Facebook to be safe," "I live in the woods" type responses, but please if you still intend on using Facebook, do you have any ideas about how to mitigate some of these changes?

Thanks.

Here's the source add developer tools to Facebook to get the new changes coming ahead of the masses - it's simple to do, anyone, and I mean anyone can do it: www.geekosystem.com...

www.eweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

And as a healthy reminder:

extra DIV

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I do have a Facebook account, and i'm right up there with you. It's just getting plain old creepy. I don't like the ticker that they have up there that displays real time updates. For example, it constantly displays what songs my friends are listening too, or where they have commented and whatnot.

Definitely not a fan at this current point in time.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
My question is, why does Facebook think that my friends will care about a comment I made on someones status or picture if they do not know them themselves? Like, I don't give a hoot what my friend SoandSo said in their comment on their second cousin's status whom I have never met.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

or even a DNA profile.

how? and how is that even legal? glad I stopped using the book over a year ago.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
me and the gf just had this discussion because she was all like ah my gawd did you see the new fb update...and im like yes sweetie its still stupid just like before except now everyone and their mother can creep up my shizzle.... so yes im sure there are ways to modify what gets seen by others in privacy but at the same time they are walking a very very thin line on privacy...if i wanted everyone to know wtf i was doing when im on fb id tell them....not everyone needs to know what im saying who im saying it to ect....

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Funny, I ws just discussing this yesterday with my girlfriend. She is a proponent of FB, whereas I hate it with a passion. Even she raised an eyebrow over this new feature.

Either way, it's just one more reason for me to avoid social media if at all possible.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeZutch

That ticker is part of timeline, the first phase in the new roll out - not only will you see what your friends are listening to and watching (Netflix for those non-US subscribers), but you can see their activity like never before.

So, imagine my I go to my friend Julio's profile to see what's up before I call him to make plans, I can see on his "wall" that he commented recently on Jeff's status, Holly's picture, and Sadir's Group posting. I am not friends with Jeff, Holly or Sadir so I cannot click on those comments to see what he actually wrote, or what picture he commented on, or what Group Sadir owns that Julio had something to say about... great. Julio has a private digital life just like I do, let's keep it that way.

Now though, I go to Julio's wall and I can click those links to see what he had to say about these strangers (to me) pictures, lives and groups. It's creepy. It's stalker ready. And it sure as heck makes it hard for those of us who use Facebook as both a personal and professional tool to keep each separate.

Here's another rub, I run a few company groups for well know tech vendors - does is now mean all those many thousands of group members can now peer into my profile? I don't know, but I will be figuring that out today.

Lastly, it's not a security settings issue using the new Facebook - I see no option to remove this ability to peer deeper into friends-of-friends networks. Maybe it's a bug, but I don't think so as the new update makes Facebook seem a whole lot more busy, which is what the makers want.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Shawny2222

My experience with HR departments, the lowest of low people in my book, is they friend you on Facebook then dig around your profile like rats to learn more about you - this option brings down a safety wall we once had. BTW - If you don't friend HR, no jobby for you. So, I am god damned saint on Facebook, but everyone once in while I may comment on a friends pic, with something like, "yeah, I'm hurting today, no more late nights jerk!" HR, or any manager sees that post, and now your a freakin' drunk, even if it's your just goofing off with your friends.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Calex1987

Exactly. It's sounds like we're both pragmatic - Facebook is what it is, and you choose how much you want to share or not. This feature just took down a safety net that kept the vast majority of working professionals who do double duty with Facebook safe.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You have just listed much info which will feed the "I hate FB" crowd.
And rightly so IMO.
Was it FB or Google who recently said words to the effect of"no one has a right to privacy."?
I forget.

Sounds creepy to me too,but then I have thought FB was creepy from the word go.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

I suggest that if this concerns you this much, delete your FB account and don't ever go back.

That's what I will be doing...

Either your part of the social experiment, or you opt out...
edit on 26-9-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EspyderMan
reply to post by Jason88

I suggest that if this concerns you this much, delete your FB account and don't ever go back.

That's what I will be doing...

Either your part of the social experiment, or you opt out...
edit on 26-9-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

Facebook profiles cannot be deleted, they are only able to be deactivated. All of your info is saved on their servers.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

This headline you are referring to I believe:

Facebook CEO Admits To Calling Users ‘Dumb F***s

Source: gawker.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
one thing about posting to facebook - theres no modulator to remove your posts and declare them off topic-yet.
i speak my mind and dont particularly give a dump. got a problem with it ? then bring it on.
i'd sooner die on my feet than live on my knees.
..cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.
and
gentlemen - prepare to defend yourselves.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thhorsemen

I knew about deactivation, but I also heard there's a "delete" button buried in the settings... besides I can't delete I need it for work, and I live far away from friends and family, and sad but true, but Facebook is still the best option for sharing life's tidbits with loved ones.

I'm looking for a workaround. But I may be early here, as I'm using an early access version of what all Facebook users will see in a few weeks.

If you dare, get it yourself, to what the masses will see in due time (really, anyone can manually install this update): www.geekosystem.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I saw this discussed on CNN over this past weekend; even the news anchors were reporting it in a "its kinda creepy" way....

SOOO glad I deleted my account last spring

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

see and this is where the gf is stuck because its the only way to talk to friends (from school out of town) and family out of country...so its her only real way im looking for something else that she can use and get them to thats easier and less intrussive so if anyone knows of any sites lemmy know...faster i can get rid of FB the happier i can be!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I go to great lengths to protect myself from certain people on Facebook. To such an extent that the police have been involved twice, ensuring me to protect everything I post and only have a select number of friends.
I feel I shouldn't not have an account when 1 in 9 people in the world now have one. But if friends of my friends can see the things they post on my stuff, including the people I avoid (and lets face it, anyone can make another account to get around blocks etc), then how is that helping?
Its a tool that does more harm than good, and I would love if overnight it vanished like a fart in the wind...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Let's look at creepy.

HR departments peering into conversations they are not a part of
Mangers doing the same.
Stalker following a girl deeper into her digital life.
Ex-spouse digging further to sue your ass.
Ex-boyfriend discovering what you're saying to another boy, he kills you. (extreme sure, but so are nut jobs).
The cops get to one of your friends because they accept all friend requests (i.e> someone with above 400 friends) and now they can track your interactions as long as it involves that friend-of-friend.

^^ These are all new scenarios ^^ And tearing down the "friend-of-friend" wall is just problematic.

I mean seriously, if I said to my best buddy, hey I saw that you and Franko talked about the concert last night I wasn't invited to.... he would be like, "you don't know Franko and why are stalking my a$$." I mean, what does Facebook think will happen here?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join