It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic sea ice will be gone in decades.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The arctic will be ice free in the summer months within decades 'less acording to some scientists' New reseach suggests the IPCC predictions were far too conservative, and that the pace of climate change is faster than predicted. Not much more I can add personally, all you need to know is in this video.

Link if vid is not working: www.youtube.com...
edit on 26-9-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
We have been told for many years that ticking time bomb antartica will melt and raise the water level 200 feet.

But the fact remains, the average temperature in Antarctica is -37°C, so the ice there is in no danger of melting. In fact in most parts of the continent it never gets above freezing.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
actually, although western antarctica is melting, eastern antarctica (australian side) which is 4 times larger than west antarctica is growing in size, over the last 30-40 years, the ice around the continent has expanded.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
earth heats n cools...i dont think the dino's even knew what ice was.....so its nothing new....plus by the time its all gone i shall be gone to!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I know one thing.. if i can give all my money to Al Gore and allow him to throw myself and my family in a prison camp to be tortured the earth will be appeased and the ice will melt much slower.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh
I know one thing.. if i can give all my money to Al Gore and allow him to throw myself and my family in a prison camp to be tortured the earth will be appeased and the ice will melt much slower.

while screaming manbearpig is real? and being super cereal???

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Satellites measure Antarctica is gaining sea ice but losing land ice at an accelerating rate which has implications for sea level rise. The reason for increased sea ice are Ozone levels over Antarctica have dropped causing stratospheric cooling and increasing winds which lead to more areas of open water that can be frozen.
www.agu.org...

Also the Southern Ocean is freshening because of increased rain, glacial run-off and snowfall. This changes the composition of the different layers in the ocean there causing less mixing between warm and cold layers and thus less melted sea ice psc.apl.washington.edu...

Land ice is far more important than sea ice in Antarctica.

Estimates of recent changes in Antarctic land ice range from losing 100 Gt/year to over 300 Gt/year. Because 360 Gt/year represents an annual sea level rise of 1 mm/year, recent estimates indicate a contribution of between 0.27 mm/year and 0.83 mm/year coming from Antarctica. There is of course uncertainty in the estimations methods but multiple different types of measurement techniques all show the same thing, Antarctica is losing land ice as a whole, and these losses are accelerating quickly.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

If you can't think of anything intelligent to say just be quiet and let the adults have a chat

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The Arctic will never* be ice free. However there may be significant ice free stretches in the Arctic Ocean during the summer (it'll still freeze over again in summer).

This last happened around 8-6ka - when greater axial tilt meant more summer insolation. It should not happen under current orbital parameters. All else being equal.

* well, not for a few tens of thousands or more years
edit on 26-9-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

All the scientists working in the Arctic are unanimous in their findings and data, and say that summer ice cover will disappear entirely by 2030, leaving nothing but heat-trapping "blue ocean," What makes you qualified enough to question the solid scientific findings and decades of data collection? Do you have a phd in climatology or oceanography? Have you dedicated decades of your life living in the high Arctic doing valuable reseach into the effects of climate change? Or do you just believe that 97% of the worlds scientists are invoved in some kind of absurd conspiracy because your political leanings mean you can't accept something lefties believe in?........... wake up and get real people.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
reply to post by rwfresh

If you can't think of anything intelligent to say just be quiet and let the adults have a chat

hahaha Sorry, were you expecting people on ATS (a conspiracy site full of people that enjoy thinking) to be alarmed that another commercial for Carbon Tax has been produced?

Weather can be scary.. But if there is one thing we can all be sure of here on earth, it is unpredictable and constantly changing weather.

Where is Al Gore warning people to move away from volcanoes and fault lines? You know they could BLOW ANY TIME!! Stay away from the North Pole!! It's FREEZING! Don't build your house at the bottom of the ocean you might drown!

If you believe Carbon Tax will help improve the environment you are just on the other side of a rude awakening.

Where's the plastic tax? How about glutton tax? War tax? No one cares.. but suddenly the UN is able to rally all the most powerful corporations in the world to tackle evil Carbon.

What is a "Greenhouse Gas"? Something that plants like. So if we are working at turning the planet into a greenhouse i am ALL FOR IT.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Essan

All the scientists working in the Arctic are unanimous in their findings and data, and say that summer ice cover will disappear entirely by 2030, leaving nothing but heat-trapping "blue ocean," What makes you qualified enough to question the solid scientific findings and decades of data collection? Do you have a phd in climatology or oceanography? Have you dedicated decades of your life living in the high Arctic doing valuable reseach into the effects of climate change? Or do you just believe that 97% of the worlds scientists are invoved in some kind of absurd conspiracy because your political leanings mean you can't accept something lefties believe in?........... wake up and get real people.

Who cares if the ice melts? Yes the earth might warm up and areas where there was no water before may be covered in water. WOW.. scary stuff.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

I never mentioned Al gore or carbon tax once, Al gore hijacked the climate change debate for political reasons and to further his own career. The guy is a scumbag and an opportunist, I also agree that the idea of carbon taxes are a bogus waste of time, and are more about generating wealth for governments and individuals than making any kind of meaningful difference to climate change. I can also see the science behind the theory of manmade climate change is 'undeniable and overwhelming'. Look at the evidence without your political blinkers on and you will see it as well. Denial and politicizing the debate is the worse thing that could have happened for all of us and our future, and gore shares a big part of the blame for that.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by rwfresh

Who cares what someone like you, with no understanding of the subject thinks? I don't. Go read some books and educate yourself about the world you live in

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
so will most of us.
i supose if the poles were to shift they would have to form all over again. dang it!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Of course, the complete disappearance of Arctic ice was "predicted" for 1998, 2000, 2008 and 2010 by "climate scientists."

The end of snowfall in England was "predicted" by "climate scientists" prior to the 2009, 2010 and 2011 snowstorms that hit the island afterwards.

The migration of 10s of millions displaced by 2010 by rising oceans and heat waves was "preditced" by "climate scientists."

At some point, the alarmists should be held accountable for the fraudulence of their models and "predictions."

Or not.

jw

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Essan

All the scientists working in the Arctic are unanimous in their findings and data, and say that summer ice cover will disappear entirely by 2030, leaving nothing but heat-trapping "blue ocean,"

No they don't. Although maybe I am wrong? I'm not God. But can you link to any papers stating this as a fact?

Don't rely on the tabloid media
They have this habit of exagerrating

Notwithstanding which, summer sea ice ice extent is declining and it seems that various human activities (not just carbon emissions) may wel be partly responsible - albeit recent synoptic conditions (which in turn may be party down to AGW) have had an unexpected additional effect .

But the Arctic will NOT become ice free in the near future. Ice extent could decine significantly if current trends continue though. If.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Nice to know not everyone is blind

Folk should take note of what you say.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

reply to post by rwfresh

Who cares what someone like you, with no understanding of the subject thinks? I don't. Go read some books and educate yourself about the world you live in

You shouldn't care what i think. You shouldn't be afraid of the temperature raising while your government is engaged in 5 wars teterring on the edge of all out world war.. But go ahead. Be afraid of the weather. It's a good distraction.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

reply to post by rwfresh

I never mentioned Al gore or carbon tax once, Al gore hijacked the climate change debate for political reasons and to further his own career. The guy is a scumbag and an opportunist, I also agree that the idea of carbon taxes are a bogus waste of time, and are more about generating wealth for governments and individuals than making any kind of meaningful difference to climate change. I can also see the science behind the theory of manmade climate change is 'undeniable and overwhelming'. Look at the evidence without your political blinkers on and you will see it as well. Denial and politicizing the debate is the worse thing that could have happened for all of us and our future, and gore shares a big part of the blame for that.

Sorry if i jumped to conclusions regarding you and Gore. I still don't find someone's white paper on climate change scary. We've neglected to stop wars, feed the starving, share and care for our planet now for many years. Trying to have the world come together over climate change would be considered ignorant for many who are barely holding on.. for those that know no future for themselves or their family. Climate change is a side-effect of greed and self hatred. I'm not scared of climate change because it is a symptom and a distraction.
Anyway.. sorry about the al gore thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join