It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest view of depression from someone who has suffered it everyday for over a decade.....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by supermanning

Thank you. I truly understand what you mean, as I have come to realize that the only one who will every have an answer for you is you, combined with research done on the account of yourself and time spent reflecting on intellectual subjects.

I read this post after my last reply. I am glad you realize that what works for you might not be what is in the best interest of other people.

Your title is off then, because this is only your honest view of depression, and you are not speaking for everybody who suffers from it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I was a guinea pig for more than a decade. I tried many classes of anit-depressants, anti-psychotics, lithium, ritalin, etc. All the medications had side effects, and they made my condition worse.

The medical community failed me. Time and time again. They almost killed me.

Doctors are lobbied by drug companies and given perks to use their brand.
Drug companies cherry pick their research results.

www.nejm.org...

edit on 26-9-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
oh puh-lease, you people are just lazy and unmotivated. my girlfriend of 8 years just left me after i lost my job because i wanted to stay in the hospital with a family member while a good friend of mine wants to commit suicide. and i feel fine.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I never give up hope nor would I tell anyone else to. Scientifically, there is a NATURAL way to treat any disease. That and a combination of study, knowledge, work out, and diet, will teach one to find answers for himself that not only save himself pain and agony, but money as well by not having to pay someone else to help. Learn to love yourself and talk to your conscience. God gave it to us for a reason. Mine just happens to be louder than most. I love everyone equally. I don't wish evil on anyone and wish we all lived on a perfect planet as if adam and eve never ate of the fruit. My goal is not to put anyone down or offend anyone but rather bring an HONEST view for discussion. I don't wish to be analyzed because like I mentioned before, I have analyzed myself from every possible view including yours. I am not a know IT all, I'm a know ME all. This is why a few counselors I have met with have quit the business and pursued careers in philosophy. That's what I would like to think of myself as, a philosopher. This I believe is what makes me depressed. My ability to see truth and understand it in a place that is so dark and misguided leave me feeling like why am I here? Is it to help others understand truth? If so, by what medium? Speech, Intellectually speaking, is a form of communication that is severely rushed and almost never completely thought out until it has been transmitted.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
I was a guinea pig for more than a decade. I tried many classes of anit-depressants, anti-psychotics, lithium, ritalin, etc. All the medications had side effects, and they made my condition worse.

Perhaps you were never diagnosed properly. Perhaps you don't just suffer from depression alone. I was miss diagnosed for years. It took almost 20 years to be correctly diagnosed with PTSD, which can share symptoms similar depression.

The medical community failed me. Time and time again. They almost killed me.

I'm sorry, but you have to take some personal responsibility here. If a course of treatment isn't working for you, and you know it, it is up to you to keep searching for something that does. Also, before taking any prescription blindly, you can research it for yourself. Get a package insert from the pharmacy and read it before you start taking it. Look the medication up on the internet. People are very lax about that. I don't take anything without researching and discussing the side effects with the person prescribing them to me first. That even includes things like antibiotics!

Doctors are lobbied by drug companies and given perks to use their brand.
Drug companies cherry pick their research results.

This I know is true, having worked for a Dr. and seeing patients kept waiting for hours while this guy went out to lunch with drug company reps. Still, you have to remember that what does not work for you might very well work for somebody else.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

LOL try being the sole survivor of a car wreck that killed 4 of your friends at the age of 15, and waking up 2.5 months later not even remembering how to swallow, walk, or sleep with your eyes closed. Then when you imagine that, imagine that you have a reel to reel projector that never ends in your head that you can't see, touch, taste, smell, or hear, displaying a message from an unidentifiable source of unadulterated truth and wisdom for 12 years relentlessly. Then try putting a label of laziness on that. Honestly if you knew what it was like to be me, you would know that laziness is non existent for a person that works non stop to make sense of his own thoughts. I understand your theory though and I love you as my fellow man regardless.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by supermanning

One of the hardest things to get passed, is the stigma. I always thought it was me. And that my problem was that I was lazy and wasn't tough enough. So, I joined the army.

I did as they said. I tried to pull myself up by my bootstraps. Problem was, I didn't have any boots.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
It appears that you have suffered greatly and I am so sorry that you have had to go through that. Just remember that herbal/natural rememdies have side affects as well. Some herbs that work well for some, don't do anything for others. Once again, trial and error. Do your research and I hope that you can find comfort somewhere. All my best to you.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
cannabis cured it for everyone that i know.

no dangerous side effects, works instantly, and if you decide to stop you dont have to go through weeks of withdrawing torture like most pharms.

oh yah, and its free (in states that allow cultivating).

Are you insane? long term cannabis use has serious mental side effects. If it worked for your mates... Kewl, but not a smart recommendation to make to someone else... especially someone who cares about his health and doesn't wan't to take drugs.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

reply to post by simone50m

I am enraged, not at you however. I'm enraged at all the pill pushing globalist doctors out there that swear by pharmaceuticals because they get big bonuses by the companies that manufacture it. That's all it is. There is a natural way to treat any disease and if there isn't, then it's time to die as life will be torture on the account of the side effects you WILL have. If not now, then.

There is one theory that depression is anger trned inwards.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
oh puh-lease, you people are just lazy and unmotivated. my girlfriend of 8 years just left me after i lost my job because i wanted to stay in the hospital with a family member while a good friend of mine wants to commit suicide. and i feel fine.

God for you you judgemental pig... We should all hope to be such towers of strength and studipity

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA

I knew it would only be a matter of time before some ass#$% troll showed up to make ignorant statements. You have no clue what is being discussed here. None whatsoever. Just another person that equates clinical depression to normal sadness that everyone goes through from time to time. They are not even remotely similiar. Do some research before you shoot your mouth off.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by supermanning

If you live in one of the 14 or so states where the green goblin is decriminalized according to state law, you can talk to your doctor and legally buy it at a dispensary. Pharmaceutical drugs might be harmful in the long run, and I've heard that in some cases they make people more depressed.

You just gotta change your outlook on life dude, you were the one out of millions of sperm cells that happened to make it to the egg and become a human, enjoy that chance while it lasts. So what if 90% of other people are materialistic, ignorant sheeple, at least you see the world for what it is.
edit on 26-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I too have dealt with depression since about 12. I always said I was prone to melancholy with bouts of depression, on medication when it got particularly bad.
Anyway, I found out about a year ago that my Vitamin D levels were low and started taking 2000 IUs a day.
It has made a huge difference, like the veil was lifted, the hole was filled, the weight was put down.
I know my solution may not be yours, but this is simple, natural and cheap.
I know it's hard to keep putting one foot in front of the other at times, but know that you matter, and that you'll find the peace you crave.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm so sorry about your accident. My husband was head injured as a teen also, and the things you have related about your recovery ring a bell to me. Those who have not lived with the head injured have no clue what it is all about. You are truly amazing in your will to survive or you would not have made it past the first steps of the process. Depression is very common in your situation and you are by far not alone.

I am assuming that you are still being seen by a neurologist at least once a year? As my husband has aged, he has acquired new symptoms that are related to his injury. He has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder a few years ago. He goes through periods of extreme depression and sometimes, aggression. Your brain chemistry has been altered and likely will continue to change as you age.

I can understand your hesitancy to try medication as an answer to your problems. I'm not entirely sure that what the dr. is doing for my husband is working well for him either. I wonder just how much they really know about treating the long term psychological effects of a head injury. I've question this, as my husband stated that after his accident, they sent a psychiatrist to speak with him and it was determined that he was handling things quite well and was not in need of any further counseling.

He was a fifteen year old boy who was shot in the head under mysterious circumstances. His parents told him it was God's will and that's all he needed to accept. I think he needed the counseling from the time he woke from his coma. I can't help but feel that he would not be in the place he is now had he gotten the help he needed from the start.

Hope something from this is helpful to you. You've made it this far!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Obviously you are not alone. Reach out to others locally that are like you.

Recently, I did a Craigslist "truly platonic only" post and I have a half dozen people meeting next Saturday. Also mentioned my disability. You have no idea how many people are like you or me!

It's hard to pull out of. Personally, I'm tired of being alone and I'm tired of not being responsible to others. It's my time to come out of my shell and rejoin society. It's been three years since I've come out to meet other people.

My deathly illness is secondary to my major depression. I'm saying now " eff it". I deserve better and I am going to overcome this no matter what!

I need support and I need to give it. My pity party is over. It's time to meet and greet other good people.

Wish you the best OP!

Best regards.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
ok now we are getting somewhere. thank you all for the encouraging words and I thank you so very much. I'm gonna look into a few of the suggestions on here and report back with my findings.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
as the previous poster mentioned, end the pity party (which it seems like you are mostly done with that). Also as another poster stated vitamin D defeciency is linked to depression, its free if you can get some sun
. Another thing I read that helps in curing depression is Niacin (one of the B vitamins). I hope these help you as you at least sound motivated to fix this and are already aware of what not to do IMHO.

To the poster that mentioned cannibus having ailments, can you post some info on that. U2U me if necessary. Would love to read up on this. But I am also in the belief that to much of anything is bad for you.

My last point to the OP, is good luck and I hope you get things back on track. Best part is if you do it without meds the lack of dependency should really help keep depression out of your life for a bit longer as you can say YOU did this on your own.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

First thing I would like to say is that I am not suicidal, although some of this post may lead someone to believe that I am.

I sustained a brain injury roughly 12 years ago and have been diagnosed depressed ever since. Depression is a force to be reckoned with as it sometimes keeps me from getting out of bed somedays. It is also hard to even leave my house or keep it clean as well. Depression will leave one feeling as if nothing matters anymore and they merely "exist". Nothing as far as drugs will make it go away, and chances are if you take anti depressants, you will end up with even more problems than you had to begin with. Working out and eating right is the only thing that helps, but even still, it does not go away. I cry more than I care to admit, but am at the point where I could give 2 poops as to what anyone thinks about it. One of the major symptoms I suffer from is the fact that I get tired after reading or doing anything that requires heavy thought, yet I am on here as much as I can be because I have an addiction to knowledge and wisdom. I haven't worked in 2 years and I'm on disability. As the years have come and gone, my "friends" have also. Most of them still go out to bars and house parties, and I just don't care about that anymore. I haven't been in a relationship in over a year and to be honest, so what? I don't care about sex, money, material possessions, social status, or anything else for that matter. I am a one man show and could care less if I died tomorrow. Not saying I wish to die, but rather that I have absolutely NO fear of it. I try to find something to smile about everyday, although some days I just sleep for the entire duration. I used to be an out going social butterfly but honestly as of lately, I could care less about society and what I believe is absolute ignorance on the part of the majority. I find anyone who doesn't care about truth and doesn't want to discuss it due to their attention being diverted to meaningless excrement such as television and other shepherds of the sheeple, like talking to a brick wall and therefore doesn't call for a word to come out of my mouth in their direction. In Fact, part of me just wants to stop talking periodly. Not in the sense that only a few will hear my words, but in the sense that even those I love will cease to hear me. I am not psychotic, or have a wish to hurt people, but I would just like to stop talking for the remainder of my life to the extent that Michael Myers does in Halloween movies. I did this once in my life and it was pure freedom for the amount of time I was able to do it. I be there is some others out there who have been to this place.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I have a 15 year old son and I can't remember him not being mad. it has been a battle with him on everything for as long as i can remember.as he got older he has gotten better at controlling his anger.But it is still needs some more work. Two weeks ago we went out of town to see family and he had a seizure. he has never had one before the. he had a second one in the ambulance.when we got to the hospital the heavily sedation they ran test after a cat scan and an MRI, they found a mass on the right side of the brain near the movement area. they also explained that in most males depression.have anger issues, i wouldn't allow his doctor to put him on any med because i didn't want him to be labeled. and these days they have a pill for everything and sometimes we are to quick to just take a pill for it. So we go back for another MRI in a few weeks to see what happens next. but they prescribed oxcarbazepin to stop any seizures, they also use this med to control bi-polar symptoms. i have noticed some changes in him, I think it bothers him that he doesn't have that anger to hold on to. once again we are having a battle of the wills here so today he refused to take his med. before i would have fought tooth and nail with him on this hell sat on him and force it down his throat. i have explained to him this pill is so that he does not have another seizure not for his mood. and he doesn't even care. my mind is somewhere else like i have to wait two more weeks it could be nothing to worry about or it could tear my world apart. any suggestion?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join