It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana: Football capital of the world for 2011 seasons?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
2011 - the year Louisiana dominates in the pros and in college?
When it comes to football, I'm a bit spoiled. My pro team is the New Orleans Saints and my college team is the LSU Fighting Tigers.

After a showstopping comeback against the Houston Texans, the New Orleans Saints have made a case for themselves as one of the 2 teams to be afraid of in the NFC. The other team, of course, is the Green Bay Packers, who the Saints barely lost to in the opening game of the season. The N.O. defense played horrifically in that game and the team still came within 1 score of tying. Despite a slate of injuries and an early lead by Houston, Drew Brees would not be denied the victory in week 3.

And that is the crux of why the Saints will win it all this season again. Last year, Brees and Co. had a lot of distractions, and Drew played with a knee injury for most of the season. All the starting running backs were injured for most of the season. And defense sputtered toward the end.

Coach Sean Payton considered this in the offseason. He dumped the inconsistent, always injured, reality show star Reggie Bush and replaced him with the much more reliable Darren Sproles. He drafted Alabama stud running back Mark Ingram and kept the "bluecollar" workhorses Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory (currently on PUP list). They cut the good but often injured Jeremy Shockey for the younger version in Jimmy Graham and kept Brees' stellar receiving corps. A combo of running and passing will keep opposing teams from focusing solely on Brees' passing.

Greg Williams' defense is still very focused on physicality, complex and varied schemes, and taking risks due to the fact that the offense will most certainly be putting points on the board. However, he's added a mix of younger players and veterans to beef up the D and minimize problems of last season. Safety Malcolm Jenkins is a name you will be familiar with by December.

My prediction: NFC Championship game will be a rematch between the Saints and Packers. This time with a different outcome. Saints take Superbowl against Patriots.

LSU:
It's hard to argue against the AP's decision to rank LSU #1 this week. Thus far, no one has stood a chance against their incredible defense. Former #2, Oregon - the PAC-12's best team, might have shown off their slick new uniforms, but couldn't come close to provide decent competition. West Virginia, a big boy in the ACC, got blown away, despite all the media hype that they may give the Tigers a run for their money.

LSU's only real competition, of course, comes from the SEC. They already took out a decent Mississippi State team with Florida, Alabama, Auburn, and Arkansas in the coming lineup. Auburn and Arkansas, both good teams, are not what they were last season.

The biggest game is the Nov. 5 matchup against Alabama. Many people see this as the real National Championship Game, as both teams are better than whoever their opponent will be in the January BCS Champ game. I have to admit that I am very nervous about this game. If anyone can take Les Miles' Tigers down a notch it will be Nick Saban's Crimson Tide.

And it is personal issue for Tiger fans, since Saban is a former LSU coach, who left temporarily for the pros and came back to compete against his former team as an SEC coach.

Anyway, there is a good likelihood that Louisiana Teams will dominate in both college and the NFL this year.
From the swamps to the oil fields to Bourbon street, January/February will be a good time to visit Louisiana. And the celebration will run right into Mardi Gras.

If the 2012 Apocalypse is real, Louisianians will be a step ahead in terms of Armegeddon blowout parties.

Geaux Tigers, Bless you Boys, and Laissez Les Bontemps Roulez!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is true! Geaux Tigers!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Boise State would beat LSU.

Just sayin.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Believe Dat! Geaux Saints and Tigers! I still can't believe geno smith threw for 400 yards and still lost by 20+ points. It wasn't Jarret Lees best game, but we will take it. As for me I'm a little concerned for how easy WV was able to pass saturday. They had better concentrate on Kentucky and not worry who is ranked#1.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue
Boise State would beat LSU.

Just sayin.

Mucho respect for team loyalty and a good Boise State team, but I don't think so brother. But perhaps we will find out in January!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SadButTrue

Boise state is a very good football team. That being said if they want to play with the big boys there may an opening in the sec or another conference? I don't really see boise as an sec team. Probally more like a Pac10 school. But really who in the sec wants to play you with the conference scheudle we face every season. Good luck to ya!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodcausailor
Believe Dat! Geaux Saints and Tigers! I still can't believe geno smith threw for 400 yards and still lost by 20+ points. It wasn't Jarret Lees best game, but we will take it. As for me I'm a little concerned for how easy WV was able to pass saturday. They had better concentrate on Kentucky and not worry who is ranked#1.

Yes, they need to do better than that on Nov. 5.
Roll tide roll
Around the toilet and down the bowl!

Remember remember the 5th of November!

But you are correct. Week by week. Any given Saturday....
edit on 26-9-2011 by radosta because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Sadly, boise state will never be looked at seriously until they start playing a tougher schedule. There's a reason why the winner of the SEC is almost automatically given a spot in the BCSCG. The only conference that's better than the SEC plays in the NFL. =]

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by radosta

Originally posted by bodcausailor

Yes, they need to do better than that on Nov. 5.
Roll tide roll
Around the toilet and down the bowl!

Remember remember the 5th of November!

But you are correct. Week by week. Any given Saturday....
edit on 26-9-2011 by radosta because: (no reason given)

Alabama is my second favorite team in the sec. I look for it to be fight with the winner going on to a national championship! Geaux Tigers!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bodcausailor

I agree. Just some intra-SEC funnin'.
Only SEC I really dislike is Florida. Can't stand 'em with that stupid gator chomp.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Well I am a die hard Saints fan, but I now live in Tennessee, so reliable news isn't always easy to get. I was wondering what happened with Chris Ivory, so thanks for the update!

I also think that this is the best Saints team assembled under Sean Payton, and look for them to have a great season! Honestly, I don't think anyone could have beat the Packers on that Thursday night game...it was the Packers night,even though the Saints put up an incredible fight to win. Just like when the Saints opened against Atlanta in 2006 when the dome reopened, it was New Orleans's night, Atlanta had no hope of winning. I would love to see a rematch, and hopefully that will happen in the NFC championship game!

Your post reminded me of some stats I saw about a year ago. I had them bookmarked but had to reinstall a new hard drive so I don't know if those stats are still on the internet. But, they were stats that indicated which states produced the most NFL players, and I believe that Louisiana, Texas and California were the top producers. Per capita, Louisiana was the top producer! We take our football seriously in Louisiana!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well, radosta
We're in December and your prediction is looking pretty accurate.
LSU just needs to beat Bama one more time to take the whole thing (easier said than done, but I think they got it)
They just blow other teams out the water. They play evenly or worse than the opposing team in the first half like a cat playing with a mouse, letting it think it might get away. Then the second half rolls around and...MUNCH!!!!
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

As for the Saints.....probably the 2nd best team in the NFL at this moment in time. If they get through December healthy I say they go deep in the playoffs. One major issue...they will likely have to play Green Bay in the frozen tundra. Not impossible for them to win, but those are very adverse conditions against the best team in the league. Any given week, anything can happen, though.
Brees continues to plow through passing records like a Wisconsin snowplow (or a Louisiana airboat!). Jimmy Graham is an absolute Beast!
GEAUX Saints!!!!!!

A very geographically specific post, but I'm on Team Louisiana, and.... Yes. It is the football capital of the world!

top topics

join