It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Toothpaste

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Ok, so I did a search on this, and couldn't find where anybody actually gave a recipe, and I'm not entirely sure if I can do this, or where to put this if I can. So if there's anything wrong with it, mods please feel free to remove it or move it.

So, it has came to my attention that there are available toothpaste products in some countries that don't have fluoride in. Here where I am, and therefore I'm sure in other countries too, getting toothpaste without fluoride, is just not available, not even in health stores. For us there is only one of two things to do, continue as we are with the fluoride toothpaste, or make our own. I opted for making my own, it's quick and easy and makes in under 5 minutes. This recipe is for those who want to try their hand at making it, and to give those that don't have options, an option.

Here's what you need for your base; this is for a small amount and you can double it as you see fit (I'd suggest your try the smaller amount first so that you can get it to your liking and then double it if you want):

2 x spoons bicarbonate soda
2 x spoons virgin coconut oil

That's your base, now to keep the minty taste, use spearmint or peppermint essential oil, make sure it's the one you can ingest, although spearmint/peppermint is one of the few essential oils that is safe to ingest, so if the lable doesn't say anything, it's ok, it's not going to harm you, and you are spitting out anyway. Essential oils are very concentrated, so experiment what works for you, too much can make it a bit hot and burny, but of course there are those of us that like that. For the above quantities 25 drops should be fine. Some parents with kids only use 10 though, so test it before you put it in a container.

Thanks to Freespirit for pointing this out. Bicarbonate of Soda is simply baking soda and available in your baking section of your grocery store and virgin coconut oil should be easy to find for you guys, if we have it here, then it should be easy to find over there. We only have it available in specific shops here, but it is available, then it should be widely available over there.

If you'd rather go with another flavor, you have various options that you can try, but then I'd rather stick to a tincture, and not an essential oil, or use natural food flavoring, one mom put raspberry food flavoring in hers so that her wee one would like it.

The nice thing about this recipe is that both bicarb and coconut oil is anti-bacterial, but what we did find when first starting to use it, was that your mouth goes through what I would call a detox period, a week tops. During that time you can get smelly breath, but really it's not that bad and you can find good no-fluoride mouth washes that could help for that online (to make of course). The other thing that's nice about bicarb is it's whitening, and removes plaque.

Bicarb is actually good for a lot of stuff, external and internal, add a scoop to your washing (not with colors) and it oxygenates the water giving you a better whitening wash, add half a t/s to half a t/s of tartaric acid in luke warm water and you have a great cure for indigestion. bicarb is really very versatile.

What's nice about Coconut oil, is that it can stand for quite a long time, and you don't need to refrigerate it, it'll go rock hard, but it melts on skin contact, so if you live in a cooler climate, and it goes hard even outside the fridge, then melting it, by putting just a little bit of hot water in the basin and putting the container in it (sealed of course you don't want to get water in this, it's oil based) then it just takes a few secs to soften to a desirable consistency.

We have been using it for a few months now, and it works great, don't use a hard brush though, it's not necessary, bicarb does the gentle scrubbing itself, add a hard brush, and your teeth could become sensitive, you really don't need to brush hard. We've had no problems at all. Also it's fine on false teeth and that kind of thing, it doesn't discolor but rather whitens over a period of time which is great! (for those of us that drink too much coffee
) I really don't know about the effects of it on braces, so test it on the same metal that the braces are made of first over time and see what happens.

I am now experimenting with adding a little glycerine to the paste, to make it smoother, more like toothpaste and to prevent it from going hard. I've heard that glycerine can form a layer on your teeth, but the way I understand glycerine is it's soluble, hence it wouldn't form a layer for very long. Anybody that could help me out on that would be great. I know that there is no substitute for glycerine if this is what you want to do. That's what's great with this recipe, you can experiment and mess around with it to get it to your liking.

Fluoride forms a layer on your teeth, which lasts long (hence the detox period), and underneath the layer it actually makes the teeth brittle. The thing is, your teeth has the natural ability to heal cavities, if you take the right minerals and so forth or just keep a healthy diet. The layer prevents your teeth from absorbing these needed minerals to heal cavities. In this way, fluoride can actually cause cavities, because it makes teeth brittle underneath the "protective" layer.

Now, bicarb is salty, which means, it makes a salty toothpaste, some people use stevia powder for this and apparently it helps. Personally I can't decide either way whether or not stevia powder is good or bad. Stevia powder does have natural fluoride in it, and I can't find out if that is good or bad, there's a lot of conflicting information on it, hence I left it out, besides I don't want to make the toothpaste tasting so good that my little one decides to eat it in stead
The thing is, you also can't replace stevia powder with artificial sweeteners ... *ahem, aspartame*
either.

I know some people will have an issue with the salty toothpaste, but in our book, apart from those, who like us don't have any other options, we feel, and that is all of us, including the little one, that yes, it tastes yuck, but, compared to the alternative, we don't mind, it's worth it and we got used to the taste very quickly. Yes, my little one knows all about fluoride

Here is the MSDS data sheet on Sodium Fluoride. They tell you how good it is for you for your teeth, but just look at the precautions and handling procedures. I can't believe they put those two points in the same facts sheet! This is a substance that the handlers have to handle while wearing protective gear! but hey, it's safe to put in our mouths, only the most absorbing point in our bodies (under the tongue) nothing to worry about
it's O.K. to put a pesticide in your body according to this sheet
Personally I just think these people are just simply insane.

Ok, there you go, enjoy, have fun with it and I hope it helps. Get your kids to do this, it's a nice fun experiment for them to mess with, that's completely safe.

Credits for this base recipe goes to Tammy's recipes obviously I've already messed with it
, but she is the one who I got the original recipe from, so credit goes to her.

Oh yes, I completely forgot, I wanted to add here, that Tamarind is a great fruit to detox your body from fluoride, look online there are plenty recipes on how you can use it. For those that don't know what it is, it resembles dates (according to descriptions available), I don't know, I just buy mine already packaged from the health store.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Pixie777 because: Oops, not windspirit, freespirits, too many spirits to remember

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I prefer hummus but thanks for the ideas

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
thanks for the hoomade toothpaste recipe

"2 x spoons bicarbonate soda
2 x spoons virgin coconut oil "

but i think its easier to find flouride free toothpaste or use other natural alternatives then to find these

www.natural-health-restored.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I have no idea what that is, but if it works, great!
It's a pleasure

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Thanks for that link Chucky
Unfortunately not everybody can / can afford to purchase products online, remember there's a huge difference between dollars and other currencies.

For anybody that's been looking and don't want to try to make, and are able to do this, Chucky has a great link there

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixie777

sorry being silly just ignore
but then you really should know what hummus is, it's quite delicious

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I'll have to look that up then

Oh, yes that does look delish, don't think it's going to do much for my teeth though

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Love the link, thanks! I am going to try to make this.... easy ingredients and you could probably flavor it anyway you like! I have several oils for candy making, so will experiment!

Also, this recipe should maybe go into a survival thread? Just a thought....

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
thanks for the hoomade toothpaste recipe

"2 x spoons bicarbonate soda
2 x spoons virgin coconut oil "

but i think its easier to find flouride free toothpaste or use other natural alternatives then to find these

www.natural-health-restored.com...

bicarbonate soda is simply baking soda.
The coconut oil I have seen everywhere here, not sure where you are though.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

Yes you can, that's why I only gave the base recipe, and yes, your oils for flavoring candies will be perfect.

I don't know, I guess it could go into that forum, I really wasn't sure where to put it, and figured anywhere else I'm going to get lambasted
If the mods feel the same though, I don't mind, I just wanted to help out, because I know how much trouble we have here getting these no-fluoride toothpastes that overseas seem to have, and most of us can't buy online.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Decided to add it to the main post in stead to avoid further confusion. Thanks FreeSpirit for pointing this out
edit on 26-9-2011 by Pixie777 because: added to main op

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thanks for the recipe. I've been looking for something like this for ages

At present, I use a fluoride free toothpaste which has propolis and myrrh, with spearmint as a general flavouring.
I prefer spearmint, as peppermint's fresh breath effect doesn't last as long for me.

I would also consider oils like frankincense, due to it's mild antiseptic properties.

Fluoride free toothpaste is ridiculously expensive, so this recipe is very welcome.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pixie777
Decided to add it to the main post in stead to avoid further confusion. Thanks FreeSpirit for pointing this out
edit on 26-9-2011 by Pixie777 because: added to main op

No problem!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Illegal Alien

Yes you can make it to suit your own tastes, spearmint is also less burny than peppermint. I've never thought of frankincense, how would that taste? Really, by all means, try it, that's why I didn't make the flavoring as part of the base recipe, because everybody should adjust it to suit their own tastes

You're welcome
glad I could help. I know how you feel, that's why I decided to do this.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Hi Pixie - homemade toothpaste is definitely good, and I'm also a fan of just plain old baking soda and peroxide, but for those with an internet connection (like yourself) or who otherwise want a brand product, Tom's of Maine makes some fluoride-free toothpastes.

Their website is here with product selection and you can also get them on Amazon here.

I like the fluoride free Propolis & Myrrh...but finishing up my last tube of peppermint now and will likely go back to baking soda & peroxide for awhile.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Thanks for your reply, yes, you do get brands online, but as I mentioned to Chucky, not everybody can or can afford to make these purchases online, and the problem is not only an internet connection, there's a huge difference between Dollars and other currencies.

Where I am, I would have to multiply that cost on the website, by ... ugh, at the rate we're going, 10 soon. That makes a huge difference. Also, not everybody has paypal or credit cards, other people just refuse to buy online, for various reasons, postage is one of the other reasons that plays a large role, here our packages go missing, often.

I know we can, I have to pay for the kids' school this way, but the costs involved with doing normal purchases, is just not worth it, it's much cheaper and easier to just make it. That's what this post is about, helping those that can't buy online and can't find it in their country, or would just like a cheaper alternative

Thanks for your links

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Haha, did you see my mistake? I wrote Windspirit, instead of Freespirit! Oh boy! Fixed it now as soon as I spotted it, thankfully I still could, would have been disastrous had I not spotted it in time

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Too funny! I wouldn't have said anything anyways

I am going to make a thread linking this one to it if that's ok?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

That's fine with me, I don't mind. I just want to help as many people as I can, because this really is an issue for many people who would like to get away from fluoride toothpaste.
Thanks

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I switch between a similar mixture that I make at home, and a Tom's fluoride free. My kids use a fluoride free brand called Coral kids.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join