It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E.T probably doesn't know we're here. We haven't been loud for long.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
I'm not an expert on aliens or why we haven't heard from them and nor are most if not all of you. However I'd argue that they just haven't heard us yet.

The first radio wave from mankind only happened in 1866 and that was only able to make a meter move. the first radio signal to be sent and recieved only happened in 1895. Not a long time ago in the scheme of things.
So potentialy the oldest radio signal that "might" have made it into space however accidentaly would have been traveling for about 116 years. Relativaly speaking it just left.

I know there has been serious signals sent into space for the purpose of aliens getting it in 1974 and 1999 but even assuming it was sent in the right direction again relativaly speaking it was only just sent.

The WOW signal picked up briefly in 1974 "might have been" something of interest but it only happened once and its place of origin couldn't be established nor what the signal actually was so that one needs to be placed on the not relevent list I think.

Our own galaxy is 100,000 light years across and that's a long way for a signal to travel even "if" there's advanced races in our own galaxy it would still be potentially thousands of years before a signal from Earth was picked up. Not to forget that signals bounce off things and might not always travel in a strait line so any signal from earth could bounce around the universe forever before being heard.

Also I'll use this analogy. If our galaxy was a grain of sand on the east coast of Austaila, the nearest neighbour who might have the means to hear us might be a grain of sand on the west coast of the U.S

The first radio signal happened in 1895 and our galaxy is 100,00 light years across. We just haven't been heard yet. They can't contact us if they don't know we're here and even if they do hear us it would take a long time to respond. It's a big universe.

In the same way we have targeted our various types of telescopes at Sun like stars and can tell by analizing the dimming of those stars to find a exo-planet and then analize the light to determine if it has water or other life giving properties. E.T. also would concentrate their efforts and observational tech....much more advanced than ours...around stars that would have a higher probability of having habitable planets then observe the planets for conditions conductive to life.

With their abilities of interstellar travel...it would be easy to first send robotic probes...much more advanced than anything we have dreamed about...to verify life before wasting time coming here. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

I'm not an expert on aliens or why we haven't heard from them and nor are most if not all of you. However I'd argue that they just haven't heard us yet.

The first radio wave from mankind only happened in 1866 and that was only able to make a meter move. the first radio signal to be sent and recieved only happened in 1895. Not a long time ago in the scheme of things.
So potentialy the oldest radio signal that "might" have made it into space however accidentaly would have been traveling for about 116 years. Relativaly speaking it just left.

I know there has been serious signals sent into space for the purpose of aliens getting it in 1974 and 1999 but even assuming it was sent in the right direction again relativaly speaking it was only just sent.

The WOW signal picked up briefly in 1974 "might have been" something of interest but it only happened once and its place of origin couldn't be established nor what the signal actually was so that one needs to be placed on the not relevent list I think.

Our own galaxy is 100,000 light years across and that's a long way for a signal to travel even "if" there's advanced races in our own galaxy it would still be potentially thousands of years before a signal from Earth was picked up. Not to forget that signals bounce off things and might not always travel in a strait line so any signal from earth could bounce around the universe forever before being heard.

Also I'll use this analogy. If our galaxy was a grain of sand on the east coast of Austaila, the nearest neighbour who might have the means to hear us might be a grain of sand on the west coast of the U.S

The first radio signal happened in 1895 and our galaxy is 100,00 light years across. We just haven't been heard yet. They can't contact us if they don't know we're here and even if they do hear us it would take a long time to respond. It's a big universe.

In the same way we have targeted our various types of telescopes at Sun like stars and can tell by analizing the dimming of those stars to find a exo-planet and then analize the light to determine if it has water or other life giving properties. E.T. also would concentrate their efforts and observational tech....much more advanced than ours...around stars that would have a higher probability of having habitable planets then observe the planets for conditions conductive to life.

With their abilities of interstellar travel...it would be easy to first send robotic probes...much more advanced than anything we have dreamed about...to verify life before wasting time coming here. Split Infinity

And that is logical of course and perhaps they would have means. However, and I'm changing your word for the sake of a point. I don't feel we're in a position to say "with" their abilities of interstellar travel. I believe really that we're only in a positon to say "If" thay have the ablitity. See as you'd understand, I believe going on your post I can see that you have an undertsanding of how things can work, space is so big and AET could be so far apart that even the most advanced space travellers might not have the tech to find us through exploration and there's a real chance that if they did it would be by accident such as picking up a radio wave and they've only just started going out relativaly speaking.

Here's something that justt popped into my head and I don't think I've read of the thought anywhere. Say we ourselves did pick up a WOW signal and it was mathimatical in it's construction. We would have no way of knowing how old it was or how far it's travelled. The signal could be 500,000,000 years old and very weak if it started strong. And that race could be long gone and they could very well have been our closest nieghbours. But I do admit that even if the closest AET is that far away there's still millions of AET's in the universe.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

And that is logical of course and perhaps they would have means. However, and I'm changing your word for the sake of a point. I don't feel we're in a position to say "with" their abilities of interstellar travel. I believe really that we're only in a positon to say "If" thay have the ablitity. See as you'd understand, I believe going on your post I can see that you have an undertsanding of how things can work, space is so big and AET could be so far apart that even the most advanced space travellers might not have the tech to find us through exploration and there's a real chance that if they did it would be by accident such as picking up a radio wave and they've only just started going out relativaly speaking.

Here's something that justt popped into my head and I don't think I've read of the thought anywhere. Say we ourselves did pick up a WOW signal and it was mathimatical in it's construction. We would have no way of knowing how old it was or how far it's travelled. The signal could be 500,000,000 years old and very weak if it started strong. And that race could be long gone and they could very well have been our closest nieghbours. But I do admit that even if the closest AET is that far away there's still millions of AET's in the universe.

They would be using a Gravitic drive....and would either FOLD SPACE...or create a SINGULARITY and fall toward the warpature. Distance is of no concern using this method of travel Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

They would be using a Gravitic drive....and would either FOLD SPACE...or create a SINGULARITY and fall toward the warpature. Distance is of no concern using this method of travel Split Infinity

Well space warps naturally anyway but you'd need alot and I mean alot of energy to fold it.. Or a ZPM

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

space is so big and AET could be so far apart that even the most advanced space travellers might not have the tech to find us through exploration and there's a real chance that if they did it would be by accident such as picking up a radio wave and they've only just started going out relativaly speaking.

Since the universe is supposedly about 13 billions years old there is an excellent chance that there are many intelligent species out there which are billions or millions of years more advanced than us.

We can detect large planets lightyears away. What can a civilization a billion years more advanced than us do? I say it is almost a given that with enough time passing we WILL find a way to achieve fast interstellar travel. Who says there aren't thousands if not millions of cvilizations out there who are at least 1000 years more advanced than us? To me that means we almost certainly have been visited by more than one alien species.

There is tonnes of evidence out there that our planet is being visited and have been visited as long as we have been around if not earlier. I'm convinced

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lannock

space is so big and AET could be so far apart that even the most advanced space travellers might not have the tech to find us through exploration and there's a real chance that if they did it would be by accident such as picking up a radio wave and they've only just started going out relativaly speaking.

Since the universe is supposedly about 13 billions years old there is an excellent chance that there are many intelligent species out there which are billions or millions of years more advanced than us.

We can detect large planets lightyears away. What can a civilization a billion years more advanced than us do? I say it is almost a given that with enough time passing we WILL find a way to achieve fast interstellar travel. Who says there aren't thousands if not millions of cvilizations out there who are at least 1000 years more advanced than us? To me that means we almost certainly have been visited by more than one alien species.

There is tonnes of evidence out there that our planet is being visited and have been visited as long as we have been around if not earlier. I'm convinced

Perhaps we have been. I myself think that it would more likely be easier for advanced race to jump through dimensions than to travel 5000,000,000 light years. If we have been who's to say they're not coming from there.

However I don't think we have been.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Oh thank you for making this topic! I lurk around this forum occasionally, and made an account just to tell you good job on doing your homework!

The human race is most definitely not "old" enough to be really sending out signals and (maybe) getting them picked up on by other civilizations. The universe is immense, and I have no doubt that there are other civilizations out there, but we just haven't made contact yet, because it hasn't been long enough. But on the same note, you would think that if there are any civilizations millions of years older than us that have been sending out radio signals (or had been), we would have picked up on them?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
OP, if ETs never came to Earth, I don't know who could have put this implant inside my neck nor what I have been seeing and hearing for ages. Maybe they want the Earth to be religion-free before they come so that we won't be aggressive towards them. Like with the pre-historical paintings on cave walls from milleniums ago.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loligag
Oh thank you for making this topic! I lurk around this forum occasionally, and made an account just to tell you good job on doing your homework!

The human race is most definitely not "old" enough to be really sending out signals and (maybe) getting them picked up on by other civilizations. The universe is immense, and I have no doubt that there are other civilizations out there, but we just haven't made contact yet, because it hasn't been long enough. But on the same note, you would think that if there are any civilizations millions of years older than us that have been sending out radio signals (or had been), we would have picked up on them?

And there's a much chance one day we will as we won't. However I think there's alot of variables involved.

Have signals been sent in our direction?

How many billions of objects between there and here are there for those signals to hit and be delfected in another direction?

How long ago and how far away is the point of origin and would it be to weak for us to pick it up and is it just disapearing into the background noise of space?

Have a look at the Drake equation if you haven't already seen it. Of course it can't be proven but it gives an idea of how many advanced life forms there might be out there. But how many would have the means to contact us and for the ones who would how many are close enough?

I tried to get a link for the Drake equation but google won't load for some reason.

Thank you for the compliment by the way.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join