It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E.T probably doesn't know we're here. We haven't been loud for long.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I'm not an expert on aliens or why we haven't heard from them and nor are most if not all of you. However I'd argue that they just haven't heard us yet.

The first radio wave from mankind only happened in 1866 and that was only able to make a meter move. the first radio signal to be sent and recieved only happened in 1895. Not a long time ago in the scheme of things.
So potentialy the oldest radio signal that "might" have made it into space however accidentaly would have been traveling for about 116 years. Relativaly speaking it just left.

I know there has been serious signals sent into space for the purpose of aliens getting it in 1974 and 1999 but even assuming it was sent in the right direction again relativaly speaking it was only just sent.

The WOW signal picked up briefly in 1974 "might have been" something of interest but it only happened once and its place of origin couldn't be established nor what the signal actually was so that one needs to be placed on the not relevent list I think.

Our own galaxy is 100,000 light years across and that's a long way for a signal to travel even "if" there's advanced races in our own galaxy it would still be potentially thousands of years before a signal from Earth was picked up. Not to forget that signals bounce off things and might not always travel in a strait line so any signal from earth could bounce around the universe forever before being heard.

Also I'll use this analogy. If our galaxy was a grain of sand on the east coast of Austaila, the nearest neighbour who might have the means to hear us might be a grain of sand on the west coast of the U.S

The first radio signal happened in 1895 and our galaxy is 100,00 light years across. We just haven't been heard yet. They can't contact us if they don't know we're here and even if they do hear us it would take a long time to respond. It's a big universe.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

Yeah its a good statement, I mean if sound travels at 400m/s then its going to take a long, long time to reach something that we arent able to see with our telescopes. Never to mind the frequency, if that applies.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah

Yeah its a good statement, I mean if sound travels at 400m/s then its going to take a long, long time to reach something that we arent able to see with our telescopes. Never to mind the frequency, if that applies.

Erm.....

Sound cannot travel in the vacuum of space...its radio waves that are sent into space, not REALLY loud noise lol.
Radio waves travel at the speed of light

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
A good OP and some decent thought went into it. There are some other things you could have stated that would also make the case of an ET lifeform stumbling upon our signals even more unlikely, however there is one important thing may not have thought about:

What if there is an ET civilisation, that is far more technologically advanced (mathmatical equations tell us, that there is in all likelyhood) out there that has been looking for signals? We don't know what their tech is capable of, so picking up signals across the expanse of space might be relatively easy for them?

I often wonder why the UFO phenomenon became huge when it did (40's, 50's, 60's)? Was it because our tech suddenly advanced so quickly during two world wars and the cold war, that we became a beacon in the cosmos for intelligent life looking, or was it our own tech or pure coincidence?
edit on 26-9-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Well it's not sound but radio waves but I see what you're saying.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

You could be right-but only if every single alien planet with life has the same level of technology as we have on Earth.
But maybe certain races have existed for billions of years longer than us Humans-and they could have developed science to such a degree that we wouldn't even notice them if they were stood right in front of our face.

They could have ways of spotting planets with life on so advanced that they have surpassed the need to look for radio waves millenia ago.

What if for example they cracked quantum entanglement say 10 billion years ago-they could have seeded the known universe by now with some kind of quantum computer dust,each bit as big as a grain of sand.

They could have been deployed back before Earth had any life-and they could have reported back to base millions of years back,when the first microbes sparked into existence on Earth.

Heck,Their quantum grains could have actually had the job of seeding the universe with life for all we know...

Sounds far fetched,but who knows for sure?
Regards,

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmatuerSkyWatcher
A good OP and some decent thought went into it. There are some other things you could have stated that would also make the case of an ET lifeform stumbling upon our signals even more unlikely, however there is one important thing may not have thought about:

What if there is an ET civilisation, that is far more technologically advanced (mathmatical equations tell us, that there is in all likelyhood) out there that has been looking for signals? We don't know what their tech is capable of, so picking up signals across the expanse of space might be relatively easy for them?

I often wonder why the UFO phenomenon became huge when it did (40's, 50's, 60's)? Was it because our tech suddenly advanced so quickly during two world wars and the cold war, that we became a beacon in the cosmos for intelligent life looking, or was it our own tech or pure coincidence?
edit on 26-9-2011 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

I have no doubt there's advanced life out there and who knows perhaps they might have ways of spotting us that might not ever enter our heads. I'm a bit iffy about UFO's though. See for me I note that these mystery things run at a par with our level of technology. The Greeks had titans. medieval period when God ruled all had witches, days of sail had the flying Dutchman. I mean there were no ghost trains until there were trains. And no UFO traveled at the speed of an eye blink until the sound barrier was broken. I know there's risk of people pointing me to some 5000 year old rock art with what looks like a landing pod but that's a modern eye looking at something thay don't understand from the past.

I just can't help but think that if you're a sentinent race and you find another and can get there or send a signal then you would.
edit on 26-9-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

You could be right-but only if every single alien planet with life has the same level of technology as we have on Earth.
But maybe certain races have existed for billions of years longer than us Humans-and they could have developed science to such a degree that we wouldn't even notice them if they were stood right in front of our face.

They could have ways of spotting planets with life on so advanced that they have surpassed the need to look for radio waves millenia ago.

What if for example they cracked quantum entanglement say 10 billion years ago-they could have seeded the known universe by now with some kind of quantum computer dust,each bit as big as a grain of sand.

They could have been deployed back before Earth had any life-and they could have reported back to base millions of years back,when the first microbes sparked into existence on Earth.

Heck,Their quantum grains could have actually had the job of seeding the universe with life for all we know...

Sounds far fetched,but who knows for sure?
Regards,

You're right no one knows for sure and it's a big universe with some amazing things. I read once that if you can think of the most amazing beautiful thing your imagination can think of there is bound to be something in the universe that out does it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Well that would be true if they weren't our creators. I strongly believe that "GOD" is just that...some sort of E.T. There is much evidense that E.T. has been here before and they are the creators of Earth. They are our founding fathers. But I have no idea if/what is accurate in our history anymore. So of course you could be on the right path as well.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
These kinds of arguments that were the base of the well-known Fermi Paradox are totally naive and short-sighted. ET knows we are here because he is living on colonized bases not more than a few light seconds or minutes away. He or his colleagues visit us every day, of course, although we still call them "UFOs". ET does not have to wait millions of years before receiving our radio and TV signals. He monitors them every day from Mars or from some underground base on the satellite of some planet in our solar system.

It really is about time people stopped using such silly arguments. ETs, who have evolved millions of years ahead of us, would not still be listening in to the universe like geeky radio hams. They long ago discarded radio waves as a slow form of communication. Now, they use entangled quantum computers that provide instantaneous communication, didn't you know?. This enabled them to know all about us long before Marconi even invented radio

edit on 26-9-2011 by micpsi because: typo corrected

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi
These kinds of arguments that were the base of the well-known Fermi Paradox are totally naive and short-sighted. ET knows we are here because he is living on colonized bases not more than a few light seconds or minutes away. He or his colleagues visit us every day, of course, although we still call them "UFOs". ET does not have to wait millions of years before receiving our radio and TV signals. He monitors them every day from Mars or from some underground base on the satellite of some planet in our solar system.

It really is about time people stopped using such silly arguments. ETs, who have evolved millions of years ahead of us, would not still be listening in to the universe like ham radio operators. They long ago discarded radio waves as a slow form of communication. Now, they use entangled quantum computers that provide instantaneous communication, didn't you know?.

Ok.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows
I'm not an expert on aliens or why we haven't heard from them and nor are most if not all of you. However I'd argue that they just haven't heard us yet.

Yeah, you have that ignorant view and could say that if you are not aware of the recent and fairly constant news that we are looking at "earth-like" planets for possibilities of life out there rather than the old-fashioned idea of looking for radio signals of some sort.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
They can't hear us and we can't hear them. Too far away. It is like detecting a moth in the water flapping it's wings from the other side of the ocean. Not possible.

Besides, aliens don't use radio. They use quantum entanglement. Instant, uninterceptable, communication from anywhere in the universe. Radio takes too long.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
You must consider that we could be the first species in the Universe. Or the very last that will ever exist.

Or we very well could be one among billions, with many different varieties of Alien Races.

Some may be en route to our Solar system, some might have spotted us on a Galactic map as we speak.

The amount of variables is astonishing.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I think it's an interesting coincidence, that our major period of UFO sightings occurred soon after we first developed and used the atom bomb.

I can't help but think that somehow, at least one species of alien was nearby enough, and had equipment capable of detecting an unnatural atomic detonation. Perhaps that is even their criteria for a civilization worthy of investigation?

Who knows?

It's true though, we'll likely change means of communication many times while we're around...different kinds of waves, frequencies, etc. Any aliens likely did the same, so there's a really small window not only for when the signals arrive, but to being able to even detect or interpret them when they do!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I've read one of the "pros and cons" of METI (messaging to extraterrestrial intelligence) was that the collective output of our radio waves is too weak to be "heard" by the time it reaches another system. It would take a strong and focused radio signal dedicated to reaching another system. Then again who knows what an alien intelligence is listening with, they may have antenna spread across parsecs of space, that would make for one very big ear.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
with the gamma ray stream beaming out of fukushima, i suspect good ole erde looks like a pulsar at the mo. op, plenty of threads etc on here to wet the whistle. imo they are everywhere, just not showing the cards yet.
f

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

You are either trying to be funny or are very dumb. (no offence)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
No one really knows and those of us who understand the great challenges of communication and discovery through out the universe aren't against the concept of an advanced race having means that we can't even think of. But then as can be seen by some weak minded posts on this thread there's some of us who have a evangalistic approach to the idea of AET and are just insulting, non thinking and can't stand the idea of someone might have more of a ciritical thought approach to the matter and I think that shakes their fantasy foundation because due to some other unrelated issue in their life they need to believe that the guy or girl next door is actually an alien visitor scouting out our world. And that in turn makes their point of view that much easier to dismiss as the ranting of a madman.

Abusing someone for their observation,( and there's a difference between an observation and having a shot] just shows the lack of real faith you have in yours.

Or you're an alien.

edit on 26-9-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun

Originally posted by steveknows

Yeah, you have that ignorant view and could say that if you are not aware of the recent and fairly constant news that we are looking at "earth-like" planets for possibilities of life out there rather than the old-fashioned idea of looking for radio signals of some sort.

Well yes I am aware of it but that's like saying that you're looking for the people in the U.S and you'll find them because you can see as far as the house behind you in Sydney Australia. You do undertstand that space is big right? Did you get as far as the two grains of sand or just formed your opinion of what I was saying based on the first line. The point is that "we" make noise through radio waves it doesn't matter what ET might be doing so if we're going to be detected it will most likely be through our radio waves which haven't been flying through space for that long.

Also an earth like planet doesn't have to mean a planet with advanced life forms.

Who's Ignorant?
edit on 27-9-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join