It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos of todays Coronal Hole and sun spots.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Our Sun continues to amaze me. Although some may say that these are every day photos, I will continue to share them with other members.
The first photo is of todays Coronal Hole provided by the SDO/AIA. at SpaceWeather.com.

And now the enlargement.

Awesome.
The next photo was taken by Emil Kraaikamp from the Netherlands. It is Sun Spot number 1302 and can also be found on spaceweather.com.

It almost looks organic, like a big Sunflower. Beautifull
As an add on. Here is the photo from spaceweather.com of our last X Class solar flare.

I hope you enjoyed these.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I do love pictures of the sun (as per my HAL esque solar avatar) soooo pretty yet awesome in its power.

I look forward to higher and higher definition pictures as well as maybe some better ways to observe the sun altogther in the close future

nice find

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just saw this from the above photo.

Interesting looking round thing.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
I do love pictures of the sun (as per my HAL esque solar avatar) soooo pretty yet awesome in its power.

I look forward to higher and higher definition pictures as well as maybe some better ways to observe the sun altogther in the close future

nice find

Thank you.
Did you see the round thingy in the photo?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Awesome pics.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
what a beautiful pic of the sun!
I do have a question I don't know much about solar flares. I'm always seeing people say its an x flare and i've seen someone mention a m flare once. What dose the x and m mean is it a type of size rating? and if so how many size ratings are there?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

why don't you educate yourself and try to work the google on the internet machine?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The ratings for the sun flares are
B, C, M and X. X being the strongest.
There are also numbers for intensity
behind each letter. Such as we recently
had an X2 I think it was - an X 7 would
be stronger.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

This may help explain a little bit for you:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Thanks for being kind enough to explain. I did try to look it up but couldn't make since of it with things like 10 MeV
peak flux im lost

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Try this link... it has other links that you can go to that explain it all

spaceweather.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks I always see those charts. Now I can understand what the heck there saying!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

thanks OP, nice pics

2nd line

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
From spaceweather.com.
spaceweather.com...
The Classification of X-ray Solar Flares
or "Solar Flare Alphabet Soup"

A solar flare is an explosion on the Sun that happens when energy stored in twisted magnetic fields (usually above sunspots) is suddenly released. Flares produce a burst of radiation across the electromagnetic spectrum, from radio waves to x-rays and gamma-rays. [more information]

Scientists classify solar flares according to their x-ray brightness in the wavelength range 1 to 8 Angstroms. There are 3 categories: X-class flares are big; they are major events that can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms. M-class flares are medium-sized; they can cause brief radio blackouts that affect Earth's polar regions. Minor radiation storms sometimes follow an M-class flare. Compared to X- and M-class events, C-class flares are small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth.

This figure shows a series of solar flares detected by NOAA satellites in July 2000:

Each category for x-ray flares has nine subdivisions ranging from, e.g., C1 to C9, M1 to M9, and X1 to X9. In this figure, the three indicated flares registered (from left to right) X2, M5, and X6. The X6 flare triggered a radiation storm around Earth nicknamed the Bastille Day event.reply to post by jrkelly77

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
love the sun and her sun spots and all her cme's

the sun is like a middle aged women having hot flashes right now as we reach the sols increased activity .. she should slow back down after 2 years and give us a calm for a good 10 years untill she climbs back up again ...

between that time she will have her periods where her activities will be far less then they are now ...

Can't wait for this 2012 to be over with , solar cycle to calm down a bit , get some order back into the world , and boot every wannabe prophet back to his hole

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Maybe it's a lens flare from the sun flare

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
what a beautiful pic of the sun!
I do have a question I don't know much about solar flares. I'm always seeing people say its an x flare and i've seen someone mention a m flare once. What dose the x and m mean is it a type of size rating? and if so how many size ratings are there?

Hi,

Here is a Q&A for you that is simple to understand.

www.nasa.gov...

Cheers

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Beautiful picture of the sun...i always love seeing these photo's something so powerful and destructive...is simply just so beautiful at the same time...kinda like woman.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
Awesome pics.
Thanks for posting.

Your welcome S4U
What do you think of that round thingy?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

That is explosive material that was dragged back down to the surface by the sun's gravitational pull.

I believe that area blew on 9/25 at 20:00 UT

top topics

<<   2 >>

join