It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pipeline protesters to risk arrest in Ottawa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Pipeline protesters to risk arrest in Ottawa

m.ctv.ca

Hundreds of protesters are expected to take part in a mass act of "civil disobedience" in Ottawa Monday, as they demonstrate their opposition to a mass pipeline extension they fear will cause environmental harm.

Environmentalists and critics on both sides of the U.S.-Canada border have spoken out against the $13-billion Keystone XL pipeline, which if built, would transport oil from Alberta all the way to refineries in the southern United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Regardless of one's opinion of the petroleum industry people must agree when I ask "Since when is protesting illegal in Canada?". I recall the G-20 in Toronto and that was a disaster. Canadians were shown that we possess no rights when it comes to freedom of protest. If I recall correctly, Harper enacted some type of law that gave officers martial law type powers. I wonder if this gets implemented today. How dare Canadian citizens protest for what they believe in! How dare Canadians speak out against the oil industry! I wish I didn't have stuff to do today or I would certainly attend. Does this remind anyone of Nazi Germany? It sure reminds me of the Nazis.

m.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I actually know those guys from the Polaris Institute.

I am all for this protest though regardless of how it will disrupt traffic down here.
My buddy just came over and said there were ALOT of cops downtown.

We don't even use our own oil here in Ontario...we get ours from the Saudis from what i read a few days ago in our local paper.

Also,when the Somalian's were protesting,they were standing in traffic and acting like idiots and they were allowed to keep going so why is this different???
Oh yes....its the oil industry!!

edit on 26-9-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I'm a couple hours away so I'm not near the action. My father works right across the river in Hull, in a government building. I might call him later to see if he has noticed anything. Chances are that this protest will not get the media attention it deserves. The attention it does get will probably reflect the protestors in a negative manner to gain support for the Gestapo type actions of our LEO's. I'm sure we would all appreciate any updates as you hear about them if possible.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I am 5 blocks from parliament so I will try to keep you posted.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I am very close to where the pipeline is going or one of the locations ( refinery ) it is going to.
Beleive me, no protesters are going to stop this multi Billion dollar project.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I agree with you that this pipeline most likely can't be stopped. My concern is that Canadian citizens are being threatened with arrest for protesting. If they get violent then I certainly condone the arrest of those who break the law. But to preemptively threaten arrest before the protest has even started proves to me that our government is moving in the wrong direction. I think this is a violation of our rights. Somehing is wrong when we are no longer allowed to peacefully protest important issues. Corporations have taken over and the average Joe does not matter anymore.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You're right about the media coverage, there was some mention of it here in Gatineau on one of the french channels, but very little. Not that I watch these main stream ass*&&^%%s much.

KEEP EXPOSING IT

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

More then 100 arrested.
A friend who works on the hill said the amount of cops there was insane.

new topics

top topics

join