It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UARS crash hoaxer admits all, brags about it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
What's next? Reporting a downtown train wreck and ordering a city-wide evacuation? What fun!

Aspiring Calgary filmmaker created satellite hoax
Tweets claimed space junk crashed in Okotoks field
By Bryce Forbes, Calgary Herald September 25, 2011 // [email protected]
www.calgaryherald.com...

'People will take whatever you give them'
Calgary filmmaker admits pushing satellite Oko-hoax
First posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:54 PM MDT
www.calgarysun.com...

My posted comment:

Problem was, he happened to be located exactly along the track that UARS was following and the timing was good for it falling then. Also, observers in Edmonton had reported a fireball south of that city. Calgary weather radar did show a strange streak at a place coincident with the expected UARS path. And there were no other even remotely credible claims elsewhere in the world in the hours afterwards. So briefly there appeared to be enough 'straws in the wind' that artificially created the illusion of independent corroboration. Sigh. I used to hope the odds were right and nobody would ever get hurt by falling satellites. I now hope that's wrong, and somebody does get badly hurt by the next big fall [next month], and his initials are SS.

Re Orson Welles and the 'War of the Worlds' radio hoax:
(photo) Jim (with beard) and Orson Welles on Dick Cavett show,
1981 -- "Orson, you know, we're going to invade Mars"
www.jamesoberg.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
this is exactly what happens when an event is a hoax our ego needs to brag about it. to say look what I can do. we need that validation whatever has not been debunked as of yet must contain a grain of truth. perhaps we should look at every other "events" to see what has someone somewhere bragging about it or not.....................

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
sounds to me like the guy was a having a bit of fun...all the while proving that some people just believe everything they read. Fyi,that first link leads to a 'page not found'. thanks for posting this

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

The problem is that a very similar formation of "debris" was filmed in Gdansk, Poland, in the same path of the alleged satellite, a couple of orbits before the reentry. If you compare this video with the Canadian one, they are very similar pattern in the skies.

Was this a hoax too??? Or there's a disinfo campaign going on?? 'cos there's a lot of contradictions about this whole UARS story.
edit on 9/26/2011 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I suspect a MASSIVE disinfo campaign regarding UARS and once again it involves NASA and the MSM.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I never for a second thought that video was legit.
What part of a dead satellite crashing to earth at thousands of miles per hour did people think would be floating softly down? It should look just like a meteor and burning colors (depending on what metals).

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I think the point they were trying to make, is that is was not the UARS..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

This reminded him of Welles’ infamous broadcast. He Googled it, gave it a listen, and started tweeting on his @imnotgonnalie2u account.

“Reporter Carl Phillips on the scene near Okotoks, AB, #UARS debris found at the Wilmuth Farm,” one tweet read. (Carl Phillips was the name of the reporter in Welles’ dramatization.)

“People were like, ‘Oh my God, start following this guy! He’s right there on the scene!’” Salazar said. “But some people caught on right away.”

It was a pun on an old gag, and he also said the following:

“They weren’t checking sources and facts,” Salazar said. “I’m glad none of the media outlets picked it up as being true.”

Source

How often does alternative media check the source? It is a good example of why things need to be fact checked. Even the police had fun with it:

RCMP spokesman Webb said he’s received more calls about this ‘incident’ than others that have actually happened, although he has yet to hear from NASA.

“And no, we did not arrest any little green men,” Webb quipped, “Although we did tow their spaceship to Area 51.”

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

Yes.. did you get the impression that I didn't understand that?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
He was one of my friends brothers. He did it as playing around, and said he meant no harm by it.

Whatever...I never understood why people feel the need to inflate their ego with stuff like this. Get a life, douche, and thats what I told the guy...

Pred...
edit on 26-9-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
People like that don't even have a real understanding of the events they pretend to be imitating.

Orson Welles' "War of the Worlds" was not intended as a hoax, but as a very clever way to present an old (familiar?) Sci Fi story that would leave listeners off guard - until they caught on.

The re-broadcast I heard had a disclaimer by Welles at the end of the show. Of course, most listeners who reacted did not wait for the whole show to run. It was an ingenious piece of art, and for those who realized it was such, any lingering doubts were handled at the end of the show.

This show, though, had the interesting and perhaps not totally unintended result of fascinating people who enjoy playing on a person's natural tendency to take whatever they are confronted with at face value (or "the truth").

Since that time, we have seen an increased use of these methods in film, in government, and by "amateurs" without benefit of the Halloween "just kidding" that the faithful listeners of the original radio show received in 1938.

This marks these later efforts with more sinister intent than can be aimed at Welles' effort in 1938.

The ethical illusionist reminds his audience of the fact of the illusion at the end of his show. The unethical illusionist wants the audience to be confused until the end of time!

And what should the audience (us) learn from this? You can't always trust your perceptions! When in doubt, get a second opinion!

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
'People will take whatever you give them'

The guy could almost be talking about this place!

top topics

join