It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here a math expert?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Hi all,
I need a little help with some math. So if anyone is an expert in math please let me know. I would appreciate the help.

What I want to do is this. Take the equation of special relativity(the mass one), and another equation. and merge them together.

I want an equation to find the relativistic mass of a spaceship which is using its own feul (thus continually decreasing its mass).

Thanks in advance.
edit on 9/26/2011 by kaleshchand because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

your answer is 66

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Is your ship moving at or near the speed of light? If so then I think it's mass will be infinite or approaching infinite regardless of how much fuel is in it.

If it's not moving at relativistic speeds, then I think a simple y=mx+b graph would work just fine no? Where y=mass of the ship; m=rate of fuel burn; x=time; and b=how much fuel you start with.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything. This is a serious question.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

Lets just say it moves at 10 or 20 % of light speed. The calculations need to done with special relativity in mind (relativistic equations).

My take here is say spaceship has starts off with 10 tonnes of fuel and weighs 10 tonnes itself (total of 20 tonnes).
It reaches a speed of 0.5c and has used 50% of its feul by then.
so 10tonne craft is now 13.3 tons
and 10 tonne of feul would be again 13.3 tonnes but 50% has been used up thus only 6.65 tonnes is left.
thus total mass= 10+6.65= 16.65 tonnes
this shows that a ship carrying its own feul could lose weight rather than gain it.

I want to put this in a good equation(with integration and such), so I can see if it really works, and to be able to disscuss it better.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
in theory: the ship is already in space, it starts its engines, it accelerates because of the force created by the propulsion, with the acceleration its mass increases, but on the other hand its mass is decreasing because of the used fuel. formula probably will need: force (F), acceleration (a), mass (m), time (t), a value x for the amount of fuel used related to the force created.
that would be a complicated equation. another thing necessary is the formula of the mass increase through increasing velocity.
good luck.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kaleshchand

Since you can solve for only one variable at a time, you'd keep your other quantities such as mass of the vessel and it's speed as constants and solving for the weight of the fuel which is constantly changing at a certain rate as a function of time.

For example at any point in time the mass of your fuel relative to time could be defined as:

Fuel(t) = Total Fuel - Fuel Consumed or

we'd call them ...FT(t) - FC(t)

You'd then Integrate that function ....cant draw integral symbols but you'd have ...

The integral of F(t) dt, or the Integral of FT(t) - FC(t) dt which you would solve by using Integration By Parts* solving each one individually and then later merging them.

In calculus, and more generally in mathematical analysis, integration by parts is a rule that transforms the integral of products of functions into other (ideally simpler) integrals. The rule can be derived in one line by simply integrating the product rule of differentiation.

you'd then substitute values of t or conversely you could solve for the time in which all of the fuel was consumed by making Total Fuel = Fuel Consumed and solving for t (time) at which this occurs.

It would be something along those lines this is just off of the top of my head....

But Check out some Calculus and Physics Texts. You know that Isaac Newton also invented The Calculus in which to solve his Physics problems....but you need to correlate units which is the essence of solving any math problem.

Integration by parts:

en.wikipedia.org...

PEACE

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
i think my brain just imploded

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
What kind of question is that, math expert?

Of course everyone on here is an expert in EVERYTHING. Gawd!

True Story.

new topics

top topics

join