It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

5.3 Canadian Earthquake TODAY. Is this rare?

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
USGS reported a 5.3 earthquake in The Northwest Territories, Canada that happened at 01:02 UTC. The EQ was approximately 137 km from Wrigley NWT, at a depth of 2.9 km.
It is too early for reports of any damage.

earthquake.usgs.gov...




posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Is it rare? You linked USGS, have a look at the maps where it says historical seismicity - it's not packed with quakes, but there are a fair few in that area. One thats a 7 or above.



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Take a look for yourself, make up your own mind...
www.iris.edu...



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Take a look for yourself, make up your own mind...
www.iris.edu...


Thank you Jib.
For those that don't have the ability to view the link the JibbyJedi provided here is the photo.


The photo is small, but if I squint real hard, I think I see a red dot and a few pink one's.
So I guess this must be an occurrence every 10 or 50 years?
Hard for me to tell.
Jib can you interpret this map any better?
edit on 26-9-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust
Is it rare? You linked USGS, have a look at the maps where it says historical seismicity(sic) - it's not packed with quakes, but there are a fair few in that area. One thats(sic) a 7 or above.


I'm not sure where your "historical seismicity(sic)" tab is located but I did find this:
neic.usgs.gov...

This USGS data, that is provided from the link above, indicates that there have been four earthquakes, in this region, since 1985.
Is 4 EQ's in 25 years, considered rare?



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by bkaust
Is it rare? You linked USGS, have a look at the maps where it says historical seismicity(sic) - it's not packed with quakes, but there are a fair few in that area. One thats(sic) a 7 or above.


I'm not sure where your "historical seismicity(sic)" tab is located but I did find this:
neic.usgs.gov...

This USGS data, that is provided from the link above, indicates that there have been four earthquakes, in this region, since 1985.
Is 4 EQ's in 25 years, considered rare?


sarcasm, nice.

top map - 1990 to present.

Not, I wouldn't say that's rare.



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Didn't really want to say anything, but what the heck, Early Sunday morning I was having the weirdest dream about an earth quake on the west coast. People were streaming into all the little desert towns that were out away from the coast. The odd part was the place I was staying in wasn't my house but someone had built an earthquake detection device of some kind. It was on the wall and consisted of two different pieces. As if one side was an indicator for one side of a fault and the other for the other side. As I looked at it one side was jumping and going crazy. While the other side was motionless. I certainly I'm not saying it means a damn thing but there it is.



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust
 


Thank you for that link.
However the peppering of the < 3 EQ's may be just excavation and mining explosions.



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Didn't really want to say anything, but what the heck, Early Sunday morning I was having the weirdest dream about an earth quake on the west coast. People were streaming into all the little desert towns that were out away from the coast. The odd part was the place I was staying in wasn't my house but someone had built an earthquake detection device of some kind. It was on the wall and consisted of two different pieces. As if one side was an indicator for one side of a fault and the other for the other side. As I looked at it one side was jumping and going crazy. While the other side was motionless. I certainly I'm not saying it means a damn thing but there it is.


Wow, that is a weird dream. I have been to Apple Valley before, isn't that just north of Hwy 50, between Placerville and Pollock Pines?


Wait, wait, I remember now. It's between Edwards AFB and 29 Palms.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 





Wait, wait, I remember now. It's between Edwards AFB and 29 Palms


You nailed it. Yes in So Calif. So you have an idea what it would be like to have the whole coast fleeing the coast on the few freeways that go into the interior of California. The 15, 10 and the 5 are about it really.
I woke up to a very uncomfortable feeling. Thanks for your interest.



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by Violater1
 





Wait, wait, I remember now. It's between Edwards AFB and 29 Palms


You nailed it. Yes in So Calif. So you have an idea what it would be like to have the whole coast fleeing the coast on the few freeways that go into the interior of California. The 15, 10 and the 5 are about it really.
I woke up to a very uncomfortable feeling. Thanks for your interest.


I once flew a C10 Huron between EDW to MCAGCC (Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center), Twentynine Palms), aka Camp Wilson.
A couple of times a conversation came up regarding ground ponders having to bugout. One of the Officers said that he specifically earned a private pilots license to fly the h&!! otta there if TSHTF. It's not hard at all to fly a Cessna, it's the landing that takes practice.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Nothing seen on CTV?
www.ctvnews.ca...



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join