It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Solar Storm! Widespread POWER OUTAGES 11 cities & 11 million ppl affected as of 12am Sep 26

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Tarno

If they can be amplified by a comet, then surely they can be amplified by HAARP as well. Wouldn't you think?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Just an FYI....

Ottawa Canada has been fine all weekend, no power outages reported anywhere.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
phage, idk where your looking but there is a KP 6 event happening NOW.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

geomagnetic factor 2 (recent, very recent infact. if you missed this I forgive.), solar radiation storm factor 1 and has been for days in that aspect.

ed: its not exactly an emp wipeout via the sun scenario but, stuff is occuring.
edit on 26/9/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

He was talking about the first cme from the X1 event. Which had minor impact on earth' magnetic field.
The effects you see on the geomagnetic field now, are from the second cme, the M7 event.
Kp index now at 5.
Remember last month, we had Kp 9 and nothing significant happened with the power on earth.
This one will probably pass by without any notice.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
edit on 26-9-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I do think it's possible. At this point I think anythings possible. Who know's, a perfect oppunity to do as you wish with the weather.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just had a quick look at the ace data, things are looking very promising for uk auroral activity, wind speed up to 650km/h and an increasingly powerful magnetic field. The bz tilted sharply south at 1750 uk time, and remains there. Exactly what we need for strong geomagnetic storming. Remember that ace is around 50 minutes upwind, so what should commence very soon is a collapse of the nT measurement on land based magnetometers and the geomagnetic storm will intensify, the aurora will travel south.

In terms of the 3 hour planetery kp level, I anticipate recordings of kp8 into this evening. It looks like another uk wide aurora viewing opportunity is on the cards.

A quote of a weather forum in england i go on.

looks interesting

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by weatherlovingdude

Hope the weather allows it.

Remember to post some pics

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

I was talking about conditions at the time and previously.
The K index at boulder is 6. The Kp index is not 6...yet.

edit on 9/26/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209
Hmm 11 cities in the entire world warrants a thread title beginning with "Worldwide"???

where in his title does it say Worldwide? please point this out to me I'm having trouble finding it.
2nd

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The point is that the power outages had nothing to do with solar activity. Everyone seems to forget the intense geomagnetic storm we experienced last month. No massive grid failures. No earthquakes.

Region 1302 will be capable of producing Earth directed CMEs for several days.

So many other people seem to be mentioning our weakened magnetic field.

I was under the impression that our protective magnetic field is weakest when there is less activity, and that when the solar winds get stronger, so does our protective field. Which is why we don't often see any problems from solar happenings, unless something extremely strong comes our way.

Am I right?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

A CME does NOT cause winds on earth. My god please educate yourself

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Elenin power outages? Elenin causing power outages? Am I reading that correctly? What brings people to the conclusion that Elenin has anything to do with this, and beyond that, why would anyone be so silly to believe a comet could have such a profound effect, short of entering our atmosphere and colliding with earth? Until anyone can answer these questions backed up with SCIENTIFIC FACT, myself and many others will write you off as complete nutters. What is the purpose of spreading these assumptions as pure fact? These power outages were caused by a solar flare; it is from a natural cycle that the sun goes through. It goes through these cycles with enough predictability for there to be classifications for such. This ignorance-induced-paranoia bull needs to stop now.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

The Earth's magnetic field has weakened about 10% since it was first measured in the 19th century. But it should be noted that it is now stronger than it has been for most of the past 50,000 years.

The strength of the field depends on internal forces (convection within the outer core). While the solar wind pushes the field around, it doesn't really affect it's strength (or "health") in general.

The problems we see as a result of geomagnetic storms are actually caused by the Earth's magnetic field. When the solar wind pushes it around we get geomagnetic storms. The stronger the field, the stronger those storms would be. If we had no magnetic field we would have no geomagnetic storms. Of course, we wouldn't have much of an atmosphere in that case either.

edit on 9/26/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Source

We're currently having a severe geomagnetic storm, KP8

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

A CME does NOT cause winds on earth. My god please educate yourself

If they did, we would have more to worry about than windiness

I stood outside for about 1/2 hour one night when there was a really strong geomagnetic storm. So beautiful - reds, purples and greens - they were all overhead, as far as the eye could see.

We don't get to see them often enough. Maybe now that there's some sun activity, I'll be watching for them again.

**Also, zero wind, not even a breeze

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209
Hmm 11 cities in the entire world warrants a thread title beginning with "Worldwide"???

Not sure if OP edited his/her title after your comment, but as far as I can tell, it says "widespread" not "worldwide." Just saying.

Too bad there isnt anything we can do about solar flares....to prepare or anything. Good post OP. Thank you

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthelookout
Source

We're currently having a severe geomagnetic storm, KP8

Ummm... yeah I would say that.

Solar wind
speed: 620.5 km/sec
density: 0.9 protons/cm3
explanation | more data
Updated: Today at 1833 UT

spaceweather.com...

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the CMEs and solar winds that mess with the magnetosphere more than the actual flare?

I am still learning/trying to figure all of this out, please don't bash me for my ignorance on this!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanx, you're a voice of sanity in the midst of madness.

Plus, I've learned something

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
People still obsessing over this comet?

edit on 26/9/11 by Gazmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

Yes.
Solar flares don't affect the magnetosphere. It is CMEs which do that.
The solar wind now has low density but but fairly high velocity. That isn't what's causing the geomagnetic activity.
What is causing it is the fact that the magnetic field being carried within the CME took a strong south turn. It looks like it's turning north now so the activity may subside for a while.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join